Android HU - Eonon or Pumpkin?

I'm sure there are great android/winCE based headunits out there but it's the lack of constancy and updates (kitkat is almost 3 years old) I don't like. Especially from more unknown brands that may or may not have good quality control and returns.

A better question might be exactly what do you expect from a new headunit? Are you looking for something that looks cool but may have some glitches or something that's well understood and works exactly as expected within it's limitations?

The reason I'm tempted by the android box is because of the way I can simply install apps like Poweramp, Spotify and Google maps.  Yes, I have that now via my phone but it means having to keep it charged, and have an aux cable trailing over half of the dash. The android box will have Torque on it too, meaning I can use it as a digital boost guage etc. At ~£300 it's worth a punt. Just can't decide which to do first - the stereo or MFSW...

Correct me if I'm wrong but that reads that you want the coolness factor, if nothing else to distract yourself with boost gauges while you drive. In which case it's probably just a case of picking whichever looks the most stylish. If you can try them before buying, even better as I think most people will be have bias towards the unit they bought rather than giving objective reviews :)

Slightly off topic...

I also wanted to be able to stream music and use google maps without trailing wires. Rather than hope an aftermarket unit would be reliable, I went the OEM route and fitted a Columbus with appropriate bluetooth kit.

- Everything just works as you'd expect from factory fitted equipment and it integrates perfectly other OEM modules such as MDI, maxidot, MFSW, parking sensors and rear view camera

- The navigation is more than adequate for most tasks and is a worthy backup to google maps or a dedicated satnav
- I have a brodit mount for my phone that keeps it fully charged when using google maps and streaming music via bluetooth (no visible wires!)

End result is that everything just works, looks standard with no visible cables to my phone. I slide it in to the dock, it starts charging while connecting via bluetooth ready to stream music. It's possible to control the music either from the phone, headunit or MFSW. Downsides of the Columbus are:

- Takes a little while to boot (music starts immediately from USB/SD/CD/Radio)

- Traffic data is TMC based so can be hit and miss

- Nav data updates are infrequent (~1 per year)

- Can be sluggish entering address details

Obviously, if you still want to read boost pressures while you drive, you'd need a cheap OBD2 bluetooth or WiFi adaptor to connect back to your car or even a PolarFIS as it can display boost and others via maxidot.

Quick picture after I installed the MK3 wheel and updated the columbus boot logo.

post-121621-0-46545400-1442911327.jpg

• Like 2

I'm sure there are great android/winCE based headunits out there but it's the lack of constancy and updates (kitkat is almost 3 years old) I don't like. Especially from more unknown brands that may or may not have good quality control and returns.

A better question might be exactly what do you expect from a new headunit? Are you looking for something that looks cool but may have some glitches or something that's well understood and works exactly as expected within it's limitations?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that reads that you want the coolness factor, if nothing else to distract yourself with boost gauges while you drive. In which case it's probably just a case of picking whichever looks the most stylish. If you can try them before buying, even better as I think most people will be have bias towards the unit they bought rather than giving objective reviews :)

Correct, I want both ha. Yeah I hear you mate.  The older 4.4.4 version of Android is a bit of a concern, but the videos I've seen are quite impressive, and the hardware specs look like it would run the device rather well. There are also options for rooting the device and installing custom ROMs.  The main reason I want it is mainly for a better app integration into the car.  My bolero currently has an 8GB SD full of MP3s which would suffice if it wasn't painfully slow and supported more than MP3 etc.  WIth an android unit, I can keep Google Maps cached for 30 days as well as use Spotify in offline mode, so every so often I would just need to park the car on the drive and connect to the WiFi or tether my phone.

The downside that I can see thus far is boot time at ~30s, which I guess would be the Columbus look super quick. Having said it, it is essentially a tablet.  

I have brodit mount already and it's great, but now that I have my Nexus6P in a case, it no longer fits, plus I hate having cables trailing around the cabin. Also, my girlfriend and other passengers have a habit of knocking it off the dash, and it's starting to leave a dint where it was mounted.  I should really sell it.  

Slightly off topic...

I also wanted to be able to stream music and use google maps without trailing wires. Rather than hope an aftermarket unit would be reliable, I went the OEM route and fitted a Columbus with appropriate bluetooth kit.

- Everything just works as you'd expect from factory fitted equipment and it integrates perfectly other OEM modules such as MDI, maxidot, MFSW, parking sensors and rear view camera

- The navigation is more than adequate for most tasks and is a worthy backup to google maps or a dedicated satnav

- I have a brodit mount for my phone that keeps it fully charged when using google maps and streaming music via bluetooth (no visible wires!)

End result is that everything just works, looks standard with no visible cables to my phone. I slide it in to the dock, it starts charging while connecting via bluetooth ready to stream music. It's possible to control the music either from the phone, headunit or MFSW. Downsides of the Columbus are:

- Takes a little while to boot (music starts immediately from USB/SD/CD/Radio)

- Traffic data is TMC based so can be hit and miss

- Nav data updates are infrequent (~1 per year)

- Can be sluggish entering address details

I like the OEM look, but an Amundsen or Columbus are more expensive than the Pumpkin or Eonon which, on paper at least, offer more features.

Obviously, if you still want to read boost pressures while you drive, you'd need a cheap OBD2 bluetooth or WiFi adaptor to connect back to your car or even a PolarFIS as it can display boost and others via maxidot.

Already got it mate, and it works well with the Torque app on my phone. PolarFIS is an option I'll get the day I manage to source a Maxidot.  I've just ordered a 3 spoke VRS MFSW from a polish store, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll actually get it.  If it truly was the last one in stock, I'd very surprised that no one else has spotted it and snapped it up.  Time will tell, and if it doesn't arrive, my CC company will cover me.

Edited by planehazza

Subscribed

Having the exact same dilemma (well almost)

The Columbus looks like a good option but aren't they expensive? even if you went for a second hand one you'd be taking a risk as it wouldn't have a warranty.

But my concern over the pumpkins and Eonons is relability, I've had a few android tablets (hudls and nexus) that seem to last a year before becoming unstable , wouldn't surprise me if these started to too

The Columbus looks like a good option but aren't they expensive? even if you went for a second hand one you'd be taking a risk as it wouldn't have a warranty.

Brand new ones are very expensive, second hand ones from eBay can be in a similar price to the headunits in the first post. There is always a risk they've been stolen though...

It also depends if the warranty on a new Chinese unit is worth anything :)

Subscribed

Having the exact same dilemma (well almost)

But my concern over the pumpkins and Eonons is relability, I've had a few android tablets (hudls and nexus) that seem to last a year before becoming unstable , wouldn't surprise me if these started to too

Brand new ones are very expensive, second hand ones from eBay can be in a similar price to the headunits in the first post. There is always a risk they've been stolen though...

It also depends if the warranty on a new Chinese unit is worth anything :)

Pumpkin is a brand that is new to me, but I suspect that the hardware is almost identical to that of the Eonon. The Eonon was gaining ground when I had my Astra VXR and they seem to have improved considerably since then.  Android 4.4 is old, but I had it on my Note 2 which I think is lower specced than these units so it should be reliable enough. Unless it was through a familiar name on here I too would be a little wary buying a used Columbus. As you say it could be damaged and/or it would be out of warranty most likely anyway.

My MFSW order has just changed to ready to ship so it's looking a little more promising that I'll have that very soon!

I think I am going to take a punt on the pumpkin model, it's listed for £260 on Amazon

Not sure how the returns policy works when ordering through Amazon though

Not sure either, but regardless, you'll have the manufacturer warranty which will most likely be one year at least.

Interested to see how you get on.  I'm spent up what with getting MFSW and Maxidot so it'll have to wait until the Summer for me now :/

I ordered the pumpkin head unit from Amazon and have now got this fitted, I'm still playing around with the unit and will do a full review after a few weeks but so far so good, a few niggles to overcome but overall I like it, it did freeze once which was a worry but after leaving it switched off for a few minutes it seems ok

Here's some pics of it fitted

post-139579-0-57866500-1462622268_thumb.jpeg

That screen looks quite shiny and are reflections a problem? Does it integrate with maxidot ok?

I bought an Android head unit back in 2014 and I stuck a Matte type screen protector to eliminate the reflections. Worked well for me.

EDIT: Here is a picture of my unit with the screen protector on:

spaUVDv.jpg

Edited by GamesGoblin

That screen looks quite shiny and are reflections a problem? Does it integrate with maxidot ok?

Hi, it was quite reflective on the day I took the photos as it was very sunny that day

I don't find glare a particular problem to be honest , I think the photo makes it look worse than it actually is

I don't have the maxidot or mfsw so can't comment on these, I'll be doing a video review soon and have been taking notes with things I like and don't like

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had one of these generic android head units for over a year and it performs the same now as it did when I installed it, despite me not really taking care to uninstall apps I've been using etc. etc.

I tend to put my phone into hotspot mode and get traffic updates for Co-Pilot, and podcasts via Pocket Casts (my wifi doesn't reliably reach where I park the car...). I guess I could stream Spotify if I wanted to, I tried the same for radio apps like Absolute but when phone signal gets dodge so does the audio...

One thing I like is I can get DAB radio, with a DVB DTV stick plugged into the rear USB connection and Wavesync installed on the head unit. One thing I don't like is the crappy antenna I bought, I must get a better one...

• 9 months later...

Bumping as time has moved on. Still in no rush to buy a new radio but would still like more than the bolero.  Are the android 6 units any better or still buggy/laggy?

I've been on the XDA dev (android) forums for a while and come back to Briskoda to find some answers in terms of the aerials used on Fabia MKIIs but seeing as I stumbled across this top I can try and fill you all in best I can about the more recent android (Chinese/No-name) Head units that are about at the moment. These units are commonly sold by a number of chinese resellers such as Auto Pumpkin, Joying, XTRONS etc. 

Last year I started off with one of the 1GB RAM Quad core pumpkin 16GB storage (RK3188 Processor) units linked here Pumpkin Android 5.1 Lollipop. As a beginner to these units I didn't know quite what to expect as I bought it on a whim during the amazon prime deals as it was reduced loads. Load times were a bit of a pain if I'm honest waiting 30s+ for the system to boot from cold and then a further few mins unit the unit was actually usable other than the core radio. You can set the system to go into a low powered mode for set period of up to 3 hours (greater drain on the battery). Learnt my lesson there and and put it back down to 30 mins. Meaning the system wakes up and resumes if you get back to the car within that time period saving you having to wait for boot from cold. The worst part about the booting from cold being not being able to start waze and type in my destination etc. for about 5 mins after boot where the unit had got itself going properly meaning I had to be sat about in the car for a while unit I could make use of it properly. The additional DAB+ unit works well though through the glass mount aerial that comes included leaves something to be desired.
So all in all 5.1.1 1GB android units are not recommended by me. Especially if you're looking to spend more than £200-£250. (Additional / Factory settings password: 126)

About 2 weeks ago I made the jump to this unit here: Pumpkin 2GB RAM Android 5.1 Car Stereo Head Unit. This unit is still running android 5.1 but with a completely different skin and if you know what you are doing they can be Flashed to Android 6.0. But once flashed to 6.0 cannot be reverted back, this sounds good but developers have only just released the 6.0 ROM a month or so ago (date of writing) and is still very rather buggy with a lot of people in agreement that 6.0 brings so few benefits compared to 5.1 that it's not worth the hassle. These newer 2GB RAM units are far better suited to current android applications and fall in around the £250 mark. Running a more efficient intel Sofia C3230RK Quad core processor. These units boot in about 15s the first time you install it and turn it on. There after boot time is less than 3s give or take. Making the whole experience far more seamless and feel like it was made by and OEM. Multi-tasking and running of apps such as Waze like the 1GB unit used to struggle with is far more easy. The unit I specifically bought, unlike some of the other 2GB Sofia units out there, has the dual fakra aerial connection and CAN-BUS connection already built into the unit meaning less cables and adaptors that have to be crammed in behind the unit when installing it. Saving a fair bit of fuss and head scratching trying to pile it all in. I also have the additional USB DAB+ unit installed on this unit too. So far have found that the DAB+ is a bit more buggy, locking up sometimes within the first couple of mins of switching to DAB+ plus with the original poor aerial reception isn't that great so find myself using FM more when on the move as it gets pretty much perfect reception and then DAB+ when stationary waiting in the car for long periods. 

(Additional / Factory settings Password: 3368)

Last of all there are some other units out there that are running octa-core processors with 2GB RAM and also have android 6.0 installed on them. I don't have much info on these units as they're still relatively new but they are about. So far and from what people have said they seem okay just make sure that you look for the PX5 processor based units as they are supported better by manufacturers and the general Android Head Unit community.

The only issues with compatibility I have found so far with both them, with my MKII Fabia Monte Carlo anyway, is that I am no longer able to make use of the MDI or integrated AUX port built into my car. This isn't too much of a bother to me as I mainly just use spotify and the radio for music or if I choose can just load any music I want onto a micro SD and listen to it that way. 

If you do decide to any of these units especially within the UK. You may well find that when setting it up the passenger and driver's door come up as being the wrong way round when opening them. This can be easily solved within the additional / factory settings menu which I have provided the password for, for each unit.

Within these setting you can also adjust master audio levels for certain apps. A common one I have had with both units I have had is the audio for the FM radio being far louder in comparison to the rest of the system. 
Last of all you will be pleased to know that you can also change the boot logo of the device to show the OEM car logo when the unit starts up. In our case skoda. This is a case of simply going to the settings as mentioned before and scrolling through the numerous amounts of logos unit you find the right one.

In summary (at time of writing) look at buying at least one of the intel sofia based 2gb 5.1 units or if more readily available the PX5 octa-core 2GB android units. As in my opinion you'll be wasting your money when it comes to any of the 1GB units due to them just not being very responsive, powerful or fluid to use in comparison to what is on the market now.

Be nice if we could start a general discussion thread on here and have it pinned in this ICE section to save as much digging when it comes to getting information about these types of Chinese / No-name Head Units.

Edited by abaday789

I got the same Pumpkin unit as you in last July's Amazon Prime day and it was a steal. But everything you say about it is correct, and I can't help but feel that the sound is a lacking compared to the very basic unit fitted to my Reaction (basically a Fabia II SE).  Maybe that's because I never did the second aerial connection.

I too have the wrong driver's door showing and despite emails with Pumpkin but I've got used to it as their suggestion failed. I might try again with your code if it's different. 

But for about £170 iirc on the deal its weaknesses are outweighed by its use for navigation etc. And it's really for my son who does Spotify and streaming.  The add-on 3G dongle works but requires removing and reconnecting regularly.  It's only there for background data with a free Freedom Pop 200MB allowance, so I normally hotspot my mobile for app updates and when I remember on longer journeys. Unfortunately the USB current can't maintain charge if hotspot is on.

One word of caution for Android HUs, and maybe I'm overly cautious here, but suggest anyone set up a Google account for the car so that your email aren't accessible when your car is in for service etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RapidReaction said:

I got the same Pumpkin unit as you in last July's Amazon Prime day and it was a steal. But everything you say about it is correct, and I can't help but feel that the sound is a lacking compared to the very basic unit fitted to my Reaction (basically a Fabia II SE).  Maybe that's because I never did the second aerial connection.

I too have the wrong driver's door showing and despite emails with Pumpkin but I've got used to it as their suggestion failed. I might try again with your code if it's different. 

But for about £170 iirc on the deal its weaknesses are outweighed by its use for navigation etc. And it's really for my son who does Spotify and streaming.  The add-on 3G dongle works but requires removing and reconnecting regularly.  It's only there for background data with a free Freedom Pop 200MB allowance, so I normally hotspot my mobile for app updates and when I remember on longer journeys. Unfortunately the USB current can't maintain charge if hotspot is on.

One word of caution for Android HUs, and maybe I'm overly cautious here, but suggest anyone set up a Google account for the car so that your email aren't accessible when your car is in for service etc.

The doors being the wrong way round can be sorted by using the 126 password on the factory settings menu. Then under the can-bus section you will be able to select on the options there to switch them round. On other forums it said to switch the "rudder" option but that didn't work but I know a similar door related option in there somewhere I selected made the doors show up as opening the correct way round.

Also in terms of security you can just use a free app locker app to lock your emails on there if worried to prevent access if needed. Saves having to create a whole new google account 

Edited by abaday789
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 15:32, abaday789 said:

About 2 weeks ago I made the jump to this unit here: Pumpkin 2GB RAM Android 5.1 Car Stereo Head Unit. This unit is still running android 5.1 but with a completely different skin and if you know what you are doing they can be Flashed to Android 6.0. But once flashed to 6.0 cannot be reverted back, this sounds good but developers have only just released the 6.0 ROM a month or so ago (date of writing) and is still very rather buggy with a lot of people in agreement that 6.0 brings so few benefits compared to 5.1 that it's not worth the hassle. These newer 2GB RAM units are far better suited to current android applications and fall in around the £250 mark. Running a more efficient intel Sofia C3230RK Quad core processor. These units boot in about 15s the first time you install it and turn it on. There after boot time is less than 3s give or take. Making the whole experience far more seamless and feel like it was made by and OEM. Multi-tasking and running of apps such as Waze like the 1GB unit used to struggle with is far more easy. The unit I specifically bought, unlike some of the other 2GB Sofia units out there, has the dual fakra aerial connection and CAN-BUS connection already built into the unit meaning less cables and adaptors that have to be crammed in behind the unit when installing it. Saving a fair bit of fuss and head scratching trying to pile it all in. I also have the additional USB DAB+ unit installed on this unit too. So far have found that the DAB+ is a bit more buggy, locking up sometimes within the first couple of mins of switching to DAB+ plus with the original poor aerial reception isn't that great so find myself using FM more when on the move as it gets pretty much perfect reception and then DAB+ when stationary waiting in the car for long periods. 

I just purchased the same unit as you. I can't get FM at all I switched from an MFD2 Unit and in addition to the Large Black Block Connector i have two additional cables with small round connectors that have a pink lock mechanism (fakra i think you called them) One is Blue and One is White Trouble is im not sure where to plug them in on the head unit, Any guidance would be apreciated? The instructions don't cover this.