Tired of Columbus, what about this?

https://www.carjoying.com/joying-best-10-1-android-5-1-1-lollipop-marshmallow-double-2din-tablet-car-stereo-radio-quad-core-1024-600-head-unit-in-dash-gps-navigation-system-google-voice-control-mirroring-link.html

Anyone tried this? U can get it with vag harness. Climate control. Parking sensor etc.

I think it looks very cool, and the screen is very nice! But it's kinda Chinese and I'm not really sure about this swap!

• Like 1

never seen this before, but it does look really cool. I've the columbus too, and it sucks:(

there are other optiosn which i've come across also, see link below. IF my columbus does eventually die, I'll be getting  something like these......

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/ddx9703s/

let us know if you make a purchase.

Yeah. Checked out on YouTube. And it runs silk smooth!! And Google maps, chrome and every other android app is Cool. Plus 10,1 " screen. Its big!!

Plus Dab+ etc etc. I think its worth a try if i dont have to cut too many wires. Hehe

Now im more into this:

https://www.carjoying.com/android-5-1-car-stereo/volkswagen-android-5-1-car-stereo/joying-2016-latest-aftermarket-european-warehouse-lollipop-android-5-1-1-car-head-unit-autoradio-quad-core-double-din-gps-navigation-system-stereo-radio-support-reverse-camera-dvr-goo.html

With android 5.1, totally plug and play. Fit inside the beezel and give u a 8" screen like the new superb. :D Same shape as Columbus. Im 99% sure that im gonna order this 8" player. Will update u guys ;)

• Like 1

Can`t wait to hear what you think of it, how easy it is to fit, steering wheel integration, etc etc.  And of course some pictures :thumbup:

I am soooo tempted

I'm with Nathanio - the integration is all there and it would have to be something very necessary and unsupported by the Columbus for me to get rid of it. 

Separate to the head unit - the speakers I have are just OK and  wouldn't light anyones fire. That said - I like tourings/estates/combis etc and without a solid rear parcel shelf to mount speakers on, I've yet to see sound as good as I've had in saloons.

I'll still be really interested to find out how well these options integrate - I can see why ICE fans would want to have a go.

I'm with Nathanio - the integration is all there and it would have to be something very necessary and unsupported by the Columbus for me to get rid of it. 

Separate to the head unit - the speakers I have are just OK and  wouldn't light anyones fire. 

Any Android headunits I have looked  at all have "integration" they do exactly the same as the Columbus unit . As in steering wheel controls and all Info on headunit..

As for the speakers I have the "10 Speaker upgrade" fitted in the L&K and I'm well happy with them and the equalizer   :clap: 

Just these Android units do SO much  more

Look forward to Ops review 

Edited by DEL80Y

I have used a different setup for mine that works flawlessly and it cost literally nothing (bar a tablet)

Many people have an Android tablet lying around these days but I bought a Gen 2 16gb Nexus 7 on offer at Argos for £90...

I used the following

1. Nexus 7

2. Chromecast Audio

3. CD slot car mount

4. Used my own phones hotspot to tether

So all I do is

Turn on tethering on my mobile

Connect the tablet to it

Connect the tablet to the Chromecast Audio

Installed Automate (basically Android Auto)

Done

Now I have the power of a Nexus 7 and beautiful HD screen. I can stream music , use Google maps , stream and use basically every app that's useful in a car.

My phone connects to Bluetooth so I am still hands free.

I have also managed to trick Spotify into running on 2 devices and as my phone is connected via Bluetooth I can skip,play,pause music using the steering wheel controls. Plus the track name appears on the MFD and HU

It took 2 mins to setup and auto connects when I get in the car and turn my hotspot on everything syncs automatically.

Best bit is

All can be removed in seconds and I still have a tablet for leisure use.

Its got the latest updates to maps all the time and I can used Google Voice commands to do anything

Also I am sure that no software issues will occur with anything that would rub through the cars CanBus

Total cost (excluding tablet)

£45.00 (CCA £30, Holder £12.99, App £2), also helps I have unlimited tethering but you dont chew that much data streaming music and running Google maps..stuff like YouTube and Netflix are not for car use IMHO. ....

Edited by Zenbasses
  • Like 2

I can't say I'm disappointed with the Columbus. The speakers are a bit poo though, I'd love to upgrade them.

I thought that, My 2004 Golf SE had 10 speakers as standard and sounded a lot better. I was a little bit disappointed to be honest but I suppose there has to be some difference with a more premium brand

Chromecast Audio is now £15 from Currys
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/google-chromecast-audio-10137628-pdt.html?gclid=CM_jjKqnis0CFZEK0wodyVEHQg&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!75270036859!!!g!131815190659!&ef_id=VpF4GgAAABSrw5jh:20160602214042:s

Zenbasses
How does the Chromecast work then does it send the music from your tablet  to your phone wirelessly then phone to car through bluetooth??

Edited by DEL80Y

So the Chromecast connects to the Aux in the armrest.the tablet controls the music side of it, it just takes the phones internet connection (tether)....as a tablet cannot make phone calls and I cannot find a way of routing that through it seemed logical this way..as the phone is connected to Bluetooth for the calls.

The reasoning is the tablet is big and easy to prod at than a smaller phone screen and Google maps looks beautiful plus with Google Now I can go

'Play Jethro Tull on Spotify' and it will just do it...

Or

'Direct me to the nearest petrol station's

Only the very latest Android Auto or Apple Play head unit can do this as most 'voice control' system on cars are rubbish and have a lot of layers to go through even to get a simple route planned. the head unit in this thread does but its a lot of money and I don't want to start pulling my dashboard apart and mess with the wiring.

To make it all work I have to use Spotify as you can have 2 devices signed into the same account . This means you can 'listen on one and control via the other's hence why the steering wheel controls work.

Plus power is right there with the rear 12v cigarette lighter port so no trailing wires.

The tablet will last a good 3-4hours on a full charge do music and navigation so no need really to have that charging on the move but yes you could if you wanted.

The same would work with Google Music/Deezer etc etc but I don't think they have the above feature like Spotify does.

Plus I am a techy and wanted to see if it worked..and it did...nearly flawlessly and I don't have to use the cumbersome and slow Columbus unit..

And I have just bought 2x more Chromecasts about 5 Min ago thanks to your suggestion...

Inspiration comes from this article

https://m.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/3q2emm/how_to_guide_chromecast_audio_in_a_car

Edited by Zenbasses
  • Like 1

The 8.0" unit is now bought... Together with DAB+ module ;) Cant WAIT to get rid of that ****ty columbus ;)

I'll follow this closely, I only have an Amundsen unit and would like to replace it with an Android unit, if everything works as it should.

Don’t forget the Columbus is not your usual double DIN shape so you are going to need an adapter plate to make it fit, personally i think they then make them look a bit nasty.

Status now: This head unit cannot communicate with my skoda sound system amp so I'm gonna send it back to China unless any of u guys want to buy it? :p

It looks pretty sexy and will work like a dream in a car without the sound system!!

Everything works fine except of the sound system amp not turning on. Hehe. Climate info, parking sensors etc etc. The unit is very quick and smooth :)

I bought a iPad yesterday :p

• Like 2

Yes unfortunately with the upgraded sound system and amp your only options are an OEM VW/Skoda stereo or bypass the amp and wire directly to all 12 speakers.