Amundsen Satnav update

Just to clarify before i download anything my 2016 (march) Octavia SeL 1.4 tsi DSG has MiB 2 Amundsen ( 2 SD cards, no CD slot )

current info screen

and the map i should download (will only ever need UK maps)

Is this correct please advise Tia

IMG_20190616_212431.jpg

Capture.JPG

Davefra,

You have same car as me. The latest map is the one you have shown ECE1 2019/20.

Just format the SD card (you cannot delete the security file as it's in hidden sectors). Download the map to your PC, and follow the installer instructions. Should take about 30 mins to install. Writing to SD cards is not fast!

You may also like to update your radio station images as well.

Good luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hardgrafter said:

Davefra,

You have same car as me. The latest map is the one you have shown ECE1 2019/20.

Just format the SD card (you cannot delete the security file as it's in hidden sectors). Download the map to your PC, and follow the installer instructions. Should take about 30 mins to install. Writing to SD cards is not fast!

You may also like to update your radio station images as well.

Good luck.

Thanks Hardgrafter, will do it tonight when i get in from work, already have the map downloaded now and 7 Zip ready ;=)

Yeah. Did mine today (Amundsen) and the format of the SD card prior to the new data seems crucial. Previously I had read that I hsould format in NTFS (tried twice and it wouldn't read it) but Fat 32 4096 worked for me. Skoda Octavia III SEL 2015.

Just backed up sd card to PC.dloaded new maps.unzipped and copied to sd card..didn't format. Inserted in car and updated..has anyone been able to access the"my destinations" link on the portal?.was working couple of weeks ago now. Not working.contacted skoda ..said tech problems..that was 2 weeks ago..still not working

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea when the next map udate is? 

The update portal says "second quarter 2019" but we're in the third now.  It also says twice a year and the last one was August 2018, almost a year ago.

SkodaMapUpdate.jpg

Edited by BionicJohn

• 1 month later...

does anybody know how much the storage the supplied sd cards on the 245 octavia vrs vehicles have? Latest map update says "ECE A1 2019/2020 - only for 32GB SD

Map can fit on the empty 16GB SD card. In the future version, map size will increase and it won't be able to fit. ". Download is 12gb so trying to work out if i will run into problems if i try to update.

On 19/06/2016 at 19:41, OscarTheGrouch said:

Just a word about doing this upgrade with a Mac onto the sd-card from an Amundsen stereo. You have to copy the new maps to the skoda supplied sd-card,  this is because the Amundsen has been paired to the physical identity of that card, so as a lay user we can't get around that pairing.

Just download the zip from skoda, it is massive (about 15GB) and failed several times for me so it had to be un-paused each time, but eventually it does download. Once you have it flip the write tab on the sd-card and put it in your Mac. Now that it can write to it, your Mac will be unhelpfully adding hidden folders that it uses to drive the file manager and the trash can, you can deal with these at the end of the copying process.

So now the sd-card will appear as a drive (called NO NAME) on the right hand side of your desktop. Open it up and copy the only folder in it maps to, say, your Documents folder. Do this so you can get back to what you had originally if anything goes wrong. Move the maps folder on the sd-card into the Trash Can.

Now the card appears to be empty. Open up the downloaded zip file (using Finder) that will probably be in your Downloads folder. It will will contain a maps folder and signature key file. Copy just the maps folder from here onto the sd-card.

After it has been transferred (takes ages) you can tidy the sd-card up. Being a Mac there isn't a straight forward way of doing this. The quickest way is with the Terminal, which you can open from Spotlight and run the following.

cd /Volumes/NO\ NAME/

rm -Rf .fseventsd/ ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ ._maps

exit

Then whip the sd-card out without ejecting it and return the write protect tab to read only. Test out the new maps on your Amundsen, if everything is ok you can remove the download and empty the Trash Can on you Mac.

I wouldn't recommend anyone reformats there sd-card, especially on a Mac, to perform this map upgrade, it is an unnecassary risk. Also if you don't know what Finder or Spotlight is I wouldn't attempt this without a pictorial guide. 

I've just bought a 2hand Octavia 2013 with an Amundsen 1 Satnav in it (CD and 2 SDCard slots). Maps had not been updated since 2014. After numerous attempts on a Mac (I don't have a PC in the house) I finally got the map database to update using the official downloaded update from Skoda site. But I've now lost the road numbers - the empty box problem. I've tried all of the above suggestions but still get no road numbers.  I've tried with and without copying the signature key file DBInfo.txt - If I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I don't need to copy the new signature file to the SD Card... but without it, the SatNav doesn't even open. With it, I don't get the road numbers in the boxes. I've deleted the .trashes and all other superfluous files (.spotlight etc).  Any other suggestions?  I'm not sure if it's relevant but Skoda recommend a 32Gb SDcard - I'm still using the 8Gb original that came with the car that seems to be big enough to take the 2018/2019 update from Skoda (7.5Gb) though with only 0.5Gb to spare. It doesn't stop the card from opening and working - it just won't display those darned road numbers. It doesn't matter too much as they are visible in the dashboard but when planning a route, it's good to know what roads the SatNav is suggesting. Almost about to abandon the thing and go back to the old life of Google Maps or Wayz on a dashboard mounted smart phone. But seems to beat the point of having an onboard SatNav... 

16 hours ago, JacWorth said:

I'm not sure if it's relevant but Skoda recommend a 32Gb SDcard - I'm still using the 8Gb original that came with the car that seems to be big enough to take the 2018/2019 update from Skoda (7.5Gb) though with only 0.5Gb to spare.

I also have a MIB1 Amundsen and use a couple of original Skoda SD cards (one with the current maps and one with the previous version) both of which are only 8GB.

I found that to fit the maps on I had to reformat them to FAT32 but with the cluster size set to 4KB otherwise all the files wouldn't fit (there are many very small files but they occupy the cluster size even if they are only 1 byte long).

Might be worth installing BlueHarvest on your Mac as that can clean all the 'extraneous' Mac generated files from the SD card.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

so does anybody know if you can simply format your own larger sd card to use as the maps card? the skoda instructions say to use the skoda card so i'm guessing it's not as simple as just bunging the maps on any old card and additional steps will have to be taken to make it work.

It is not possible to use a standard of the shelf SD card.

Only the ones supplied from SKODA will work.

There is some hidden information which the system has to recognize to be able to accept the SD card.

If your car does not come with a 32GB SD card you have to select one of the other downloads.

• Like 1

Looking for a bit of advice please - not sure if this is the correct thread so apologies in advance. I’ve recently bought a 2015 Skoda Octavia 1.6L Greenline estate (sorry not got the full details on me at the moment) and I have tried to update the satnav. Oh boy I wish I hadn’t! 

I followed the instructions on the official update portal and when I reinserted the SD card into the car it told me it couldn’t be read. After some tinkering around it is finally reading the card but doesn’t recognise the files as navigation files. I realise one of the problems stems from the fact that I am using a Mac. 

To top it all off I’m completely useless with technology and wiped the SD card without saving the original files. 

I’ve attached some pictures to help paint the picture. The SD card is the original Skoda one which came with the car. 

48934610-561A-4025-95A5-CB2CA9E0FC1C.jpeg

46EEEBC7-2CA2-4EB9-92E8-FF31AD54E87D.jpeg

That's what happened to me too. First, don't put the full download folder (named STD1..... ) on the SD card - just the contents. i.e. these two files:

DBInfo.txt
Markets (a folder)

That should at least get it going again but you might have the same problem as I do - no road names in the little info boxes.

I am giving up trying to fix this using my Mac (problem of hidden Mac files continually returning on the SD card and apparently causing the problem with displaying road numbers) and will start from scratch to reload the files with a PC not a MAC, after reformatting the SD Card to see if that solves it.

Once you've put those files on, try following the routine posted by OscarTheGrouch above also - repeated below:

After files have transferred, tidy the SD-card up. Being a Mac there isn't a straight forward way of doing this. The quickest way is with the Terminal, which you can open from Spotlight and run the following.

cd /Volumes/NO\ NAME/

rm -Rf .fseventsd/ ._.Trashes .Trashes/ .Spotlight-V100/ ._maps

exit

Then whip the sd-card out without ejecting it and return the write protect tab to read only. Test out the new maps on your Amundsen, if everything is ok you can remove the download and empty the Trash Can on you Mac.

5 minutes ago, Octaviarse said:

well i've checked and the official sd card is only 16gb. so are we supposed to go ahead and update to the latest maps or not? bit confused by skoda's advice.

Which map do you wish to install? 

For 2019/2020, ECE1, ECE 5 or ECE 6 is fine for the UK, RoI and parts of Western Europe, and well under 16Gb when unzipped.