EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 1

gadgetman

Radio and papers last week. He wants to end the La Touquet (?) agreement amongst others.

My understanding is he supports people seeking asylum in the first safe country they arrive. rather than camping in Calais, he also wants Britain to remain in the EU for obvious reasons and thinks this is the perfect time for treaty change and drawing up new rules and amending Shenzhen.

Edited by Scribbler

They can not have what they want then.

There was a referendum and the vote was to leave the EU and BREXIT means BREXIT supposedly.

The various Governments around Europe will be changing or the leaders will be changing sometimes soon so what ever those in charge or hoping to be in charge counts for nothing right now.

Theresa May MP can only dither for a little time more while she hopes for some major catastrophe to befall some country in Europe.

Come November when the USA gets a new President then many things might change with Trade & Defence / NATO and then the UK Prime Minister might need 

to do many many deals around Europe, and Eastern & Central European Countries will want deals with the UK.

Private Eye on Brexit........

Except for the very significant fall in uk currency worth and the cost of imports!

Edited by lol-lol

A cold wind blowing indeed for many.  USD 1.285 per pound, Euro 1.1456, OMG.

Good for some companies who are big exporters with few imports and apparently three quarters of FTSE companies get most their earnings in Euro/USD so looks good for them and for funds invested in them.

Those that rely on imports it will be how much inflation to adsorb and how much to pass on to consumers.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/5537-gbp-to-eur-usd-hammond-manufacturing-pmi 

Hopefully the drop now will mean little impact when article 50 actually gets served. Gives time to adapt and adjust.

Hopefully.

I think Phillip Hammond's rollercoaster warning is pretty much what everyone is expecting.

Somethings look good now, others bad. In a few weeks it'll be all change again.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/oct/03/fresh-fears-hit-deutshe-bank-share-price-again

What your view on this, how will it affect the Euro/USD/Stirling rates?

$14B is chicken feed.

The UK economy goes this much further in to debt in every 8 weeks whereas German runs a surplus which would pay this off in a few months.

The Euro is trading in a similar pattern to the USD at the moment but they will diverge when the US starts to raise rates, probably in December, and then both the GBP and EUR could fall further.

Hedging opportunities.  

$14B is chicken feed.

The UK economy goes this much further in to debt in every 8 weeks whereas German runs a surplus which would pay this off in a few months.

The Euro is trading in a similar pattern to the USD at the moment but they will diverge when the US starts to raise rates, probably in December, and then both the GBP and EUR could fall further.

Hedging opportunities.  

Yep, Hedging, which would suit you to the ground.

Trying to predict currency is a mug's game.

The pound was at 1.04 Euro not so long ago, stop being a doom monger.

So it fell a lot, from a figure that was inflated due to some cocky idiots making the pound rally as they were sure the UK would stay in.... and they got it wrong.

The finance world seem to have got it wrong a lot recently.

Especially the IMF, who have basically become a political rallying group rather than a serious fanancial group under LaGarde.

I don't care that the pound is currently weaker, it might actually help balance our economy out.

You don't hear the whole world saying China is bust because it's currency is weaker. Actually you hear the world complaining that it's being kept weak, and so they have an unfair advantage.

Maybe we could have some of that and start making things back here rather than in the far east?

• Like 2

Yep, Hedging, which would suit you to the ground.

Trying to predict currency is a mug's game.

The pound was at 1.04 Euro not so long ago, stop being a doom monger.

So it fell a lot, from a figure that was inflated due to some cocky idiots making the pound rally as they were sure the UK would stay in.... and they got it wrong.

The finance world seem to have got it wrong a lot recently.

Especially the IMF, who have basically become a political rallying group rather than a serious fanancial group under LaGarde.

I don't care that the pound is currently weaker, it might actually help balance our economy out.

You don't hear the whole world saying China is bust because it's currency is weaker. Actually you hear the world complaining that it's being kept weak, and so they have an unfair advantage.

Maybe we could have some of that and start making things back here rather than in the far east?

You want to compete against China? Or even try and emulate them in terms of manufacturing. I think we're about 40 years too late for that.

• Like 3

You want to compete against China? Or even try and emulate them in terms of manufacturing. I think we're about 40 years too late for that.

So we just give up, send all the wealth generation of adding value to china and just assume the position?

We might be 40 years late, but we can still make stuff.

It doesn't mean directly competing with China. I mean people don't take production pollution and transport pollution into the pollution calculations for purchases yet, but they might.

Better to try and get good at innovative and high tech manufacturing (Germany manages it) than to bend over, give up and go broke.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

So we just give up, send all the wealth generation of adding value to china and just assume the position?

We might be 40 years late, but we can still make stuff.

It doesn't mean directly competing with China. I mean people don't take production pollution and transport pollution into the pollution calculations for purchases yet, but they might.

Better to try and get good at innovative and high tech manufacturing (Germany manages it) than to bend over, give up and go broke.

We need to think about it and come up with a plan. Not **** everything out the window and then start thinking about what we can do. The worst thing that can happen is the conservatives decide to make an ideological stand and everyone else be damned. They can stand there and tell us, but this is what you voted for...

What's the worst that happens to them? A bunch of rich people end up slightly less rich, but still get voted back in by those who look back with rose tinted glasses on?

Edited by trundlenut

We need to think about it and come up with a plan. Not **** everything out the window and then start thinking about what we can do. The worst thing that can happen is the conservatives decide to make an ideological stand and everyone else be damned. They can stand there and tell us, but this is what you voted for...

What's the worst that happens to them? A bunch of rich people end up slightly less rich, but still get voted back in by those who look back with rose tinted glasses on?

This is what you voted for......

Well actually I didn't, but we are where we are and we have to make the best of it. If we had an opposition party that were not trying their best to destroy themselves and the country in one go, with some rather nasty people in it, then we could rely on them to hold the other side to account.

You say the tories are bad, but let's remember who put us here in the first place.

Not the banks (Yes they contributed), but a government who borrowed and sold reserves during growth years, to give overly generous payments to all and sundry.

Yes there are idealogical idiots, but they exist in all parties, including a shadow chancellor who stated he would tax more, and spend more and borrow more (Great plan batman).

You have to be realistic and if the pound goes down in value, that means that our goods are cheaper to export.

Higher imports means money is made from things other than tax, and that also means that money comes from another country.

Global trade means some countries get rich at the expense of others.

Be that money, or resources or other things.

This is what you voted for......

Well actually I didn't, but we are where we are and we have to make the best of it. If we had an opposition party that were not trying their best to destroy themselves and the country in one go, with some rather nasty people in it, then we could rely on them to hold the other side to account.

You say the tories are bad, but let's remember who put us here in the first place.

Not the banks (Yes they contributed), but a government who borrowed and sold reserves during growth years, to give overly generous payments to all and sundry.

Yes there are idealogical idiots, but they exist in all parties, including a shadow chancellor who stated he would tax more, and spend more and borrow more (Great plan batman).

You have to be realistic and if the pound goes down in value, that means that our goods are cheaper to export.

Higher imports means money is made from things other than tax, and that also means that money comes from another country.

Global trade means some countries get rich at the expense of others.

Be that money, or resources or other things.

The referendum resulted in a vote for something, May and the BoJo boys are going to decide that it actually meant something very specific but not share that with everyone else until it's too late.

The cons are in government now and it doesn't matter what labour did do.

To damn right we need an opposition.

Our goods may get cheaper to export but that doesn't help as our economy is not based on exporting goods any more. Falling back on WTO rules is great for goods but **** all use for services. Like o said you can't just give up on everything your doing then start thinking about what we would like to do instead.

I would have liked to ave though someone at high levels would be looking at Brexit as an opportunity to change the UK into a place that industry AND services would want to setup and work from.

At the moment we appear to have ringside seats for the headless chicken conference

• Like 1

Why is it that the next generation are perceived as being so Lazy and disinterested?

It's always been that way since the Teddy boys of the fifties. As a teenager it's not cool to look interested.

It's always been that way since the Teddy boys of the fifties. As a teenager it's not cool to look interested.

Really?

I left school in the mid 80's and my peers and I were neither lazy nor disinterested.

IMHO (< lazy) it's been since the advent of reality TV, 'gaming', the internet, online (insert whatever you like here) and the creation of the 'I iz intitled' muppets whose sole ambition is

to appear on Jeremy Kyle or get rich and famous via The X Factor. Seriously, some people, and yes, some actually do, find fame and fortune via Youtube or on reality TV

but those who watch that ****e seem to be under the impression that 'if they can I can' without having considered if they have any talent beyond the ability to sign on or

hawk stolen goods at Cash Converters.