Those old orange indicator bulbs

VWD

Nice little try on at Mot ,or not- "bulb not orange enough". Problem is that the buld is still good, but still at worst slightly orangy. I always keep the old bulbs in thec dash just in case, but I notice i go through more brake lamps,  than indicators. Anything wrong with fitting an old almost white indicator one -and any idea of what will remove the orange lacquer.

Twas yhe cause of failure on my first time bringing the octy for NCT. Tbf, the lacquer was completely gone and they were pretty much clear...

It seems to depend on the bulb - the ones i took out was on the outside, but the new ones i pit in looked to be internally coloured

Did they fail it, or try to!, on how orange (or not) the bulbs looked or how orange (or not) the bulb flashed when working?

Have you seen or tried the 'silvatec' bulbs? Supposed to be pretty good.

• Like 1

Both my lamp indicator fails were for the good old trusted "lamp not correct colour". Strangely enough, I had a brake one go duff today, and Swimbo saw the orangy flakey ones and asked why I didn't use one of them. i explained, she took it away, and a few minutes later I had a clear bulb. She'd wiped it over with nail polish remover and i now have a spare( if only for emergency use) brake lamp. For the person asking- my 04 Fabia uses the orangy laquered lamps.

A common problem.

The orange covering is on the outside of the bulb. Over time the heat of the bulb weakens the covering and it flakes off.

You can see how it is applied here as it has slightly covered the metal base...

py21w_bulb_large.jpg?1370441978

They seem to keep their coatings for a good few years and they're only pence to replace anyway. 

I might be missing the point here? Why not just change it for good luck? Maybe even get the Silvertec ones if you're feeling abit fancy. 

Both my lamp indicator fails were for the good old trusted "lamp not correct colour". Strangely enough, I had a brake one go duff today, and Swimbo saw the orangy flakey ones and asked why I didn't use one of them. i explained, she took it away, and a few minutes later I had a clear bulb. She'd wiped it over with nail polish remover and i now have a spare( if only for emergency use) brake lamp. For the person asking- my 04 Fabia uses the orangy laquered lamps.

Different locating pin alignment aren't they?

• Like 1

Tech1e- haven't tried one yet, but if it's not ,it's pretty close - both pins are on orange one are same distance from the end . Will try ,& try one to see . Fabiam- I've got 4 in my glove box, just in case one of the new ones fails. in this one horse town, you tend to look for other uses for old items, as what might be pence in a town, will be £ here. ( Assuming you can find someone selling it).

• Like 1

TECH1E. - as usual- you're correct . Pins look ok, till you look at them end on.

• Like 1

The silver star bulbs are fantastic - they get rid of the horrible fried egg effect. Had them in the clear indicators on my disco, until some thieving bar steward nicked them, need to get some for the back of my Mk1 - really bugs me with the orange in the clear lamp

As Tech1e said are the pins the same ?

Lots of lamp holders tend to be offset pins for brake lamps and directly opposite pins for indicators, even though they are a single filament lamp :)

post-105768-0-60851500-1467230371_thumb.jpg

Edited by Defenderben

Just had a look at my MOT history- front ones failed in 2010 , rear ones in 2014. I'd suggest first tester looking for fail points. ( Nearside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour). And ,as someone said- they are only pence, in any motor factor in Coventry, and in any ( if you can find one) garage that sells them out of the box. But in this town where the old horse is getting very lonely, price checking is the norm. Halfrauds charges £xx, so we'll charge a few pence less.

Example of this- Asda charges 108.9 per litre- garage close by charges 109.9, whilst two mile away it's 111.9. But the sheople still fill up .Me ,at 50 +mpg, I fill up when close to Hinckley at a lot less. Probably not saving anything, but the greed merchants get less.

Fordfan- I'd change file a little to a lot, then find some brass mini nails ( as used in shoemaking) ,drill a hole in the cap and solder in .

Call me a skinflint, but 30 seconds with my daughter's orange Sharpie has always got indicator bulbs back to MOT acceptable colouration.

Gaz

• Like 2

Whenever I test them, if I want to look at them closer I hold a sheet of white A4 paper up to them, the white bits shining through are more obvious.  If you've ever been behind a car at night with a white flashing indicator, you'll know why there's a failure for them.

• Like 1