Rear discs scored, noisy & only 4 months old

The rear brake discs on my 4 month old Octavia Scout appear to be quite scored and have a bit of corrosion around the edge (as if the pad isn't touching the full surface). I've only had it 2 weeks and bought from a main dealer (ex Skoda UK car).

I don't think the car has been stood around for long as it's got 6500 miles on the clock. Braking from speed I can hear a slight rumble from the rear and a 'pulsing' as though they may be slightly warped. The supplying dealer isn't interested in helping me at all, they just said "it's a used car sir" which is the same response I got when I showed them the half dozen deep stone chips on the bonnet (which they are also refusing to rectify even though a couple are right through the paint layers).

Any thoughts on why the discs might be in a poor state this early on? Will they improve with use or should I be making a fuss at the dealership?

It has been seen before but not on one as new as yours

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402750-rear-discs-advisory-to-change/?p=4646444

If you are hard on brakes from new before they have bedded in you can warp them from the start, although it is usually the fronts that go as they take the most heat.

Were they like that when you bought it, or has it happened since?

I don't think anything that fails within six months can be considered fair wear and tear. I would be back to them to sort it.

Brakes were like that when I collected it, heard the scraping as I drove away but put it down to a light surface corrosion as it had been raining for the past 24 hours. It's not improving though.

I will call down to the dealership tomorrow and mention the '30 day reject' clause, see if that galvanises them into action, the service so far has been diabolical so let's see.

This pic is the OSR;

post-144922-0-98109300-1467901221_thumb.jpg

My brakes have done everything from family holiday to a track day in its first 2500 miles and I've never seen this issue on the Yeti which I'm guessing are the same brakes.

It is a common complaint on a lot of Skoda's. Several similar threads in the Octavia MkII and Yeti sections.

The reduced rear brake bias means that you do need to be hard on the brakes every so often to give them a good clean up.

There is every chance that the car was stood for a lengthy period, either at the docks or in a dealers compound.

Looking at the picture those discs are not beyond being saved.

Find a quiet or private road and do a couple of pretty hard emergency stops (no need to come to a complete stop) or lightly apply the handbrake (at slow speeds). This should clean them up nicely.

If this doesn't fix the issue then it is back to the dealers to be firmer with them.

The rear brakes do very little work especially if the car has only been driven with just the driver or driver and front seat passenger. It's worth putting some heavy weights such as couple of bags of sand (well sealed and well fastened down, of course!) and braking heavily as silver1011 suggests. It seems that the pads still haven't bedded in.

As other people have said this is very common. 

It's rare for brake discs to warp - it's normally uneven pad deposits.

Are there grooves in the disc surface if you run your fingernail across it? Maybe a stone has got stuck in there and caused it a groove. They should clean up with use and an Italian tune up may help.

I don't think going in all guns blazing threatening to reject the car at this stage will get you the result you want. I don't think slightly noisy rear brakes or stone chips would be sufficient grounds for rejection.

• Like 1

The rear brake discs on my 4 month old Octavia Scout appear to be quite scored and have a bit of corrosion around the edge (as if the pad isn't touching the full surface). I've only had it 2 weeks and bought from a main dealer (ex Skoda UK car).

The supplying dealer isn't interested in helping me at all, they just said "it's a used car sir" which is the same response I got when I showed them the half dozen deep stone chips on the bonnet (which they are also refusing to rectify even though a couple are right through the paint layers).

Judging by your Location Is it DMK's?

Ask to speak to the dealer Principal and mention the Cr@p service your getting from his staff

Thanks all, I have no desire to reject the car as it's great. However the brakes are in a poor state, noisy when braking from speed on the motorway and I can feel a pulse through the car so they are not right and need to be rectified. Yes it's DMK and already written to the DP regarding the dire service in the pre-sale phase (he didn't even have the courtesy to reply).

I'm not an awkward customer and don't believe I make unreasonable requests, I've bought enough cars over the last few years and have generally had great service from the dealerships. Is it unreasonable to expect a 4 month old ex management car to feel pretty much as 'good as new'?

If you reject a car dont you loose your deposit? This would probebly be more than the cost of the disks which are probably less than 50 quid for the part for 2. Any garage local independent would do the job for half the price of a dealer. Or if you do the job yourself saving labour, its easy, change the pads too, its good practice.

Edited by Alpha2110

It's rare for brake discs to warp - it's normally uneven pad deposits.

Are there grooves in the disc surface if you run your fingernail across it? Maybe a stone has got stuck in there and caused it a groove. They should clean up with use and an Italian tune up may help.

I don't think going in all guns blazing threatening to reject the car at this stage will get you the result you want. I don't think slightly noisy rear brakes or stone chips would be sufficient grounds for rejection.

Yep - brake discs warping is almost an urban myth. It is normally uneven pad deposits and hard spots caused by high temps. All are rectifiable by some sensible hard braking.

Cleaning up rears is easier if you are going backwards LOL

A few J-turns should soon clean them up

They should at least offer to strip and clean the rear brakes up, and fill/touch up your stone chips as well as they can.

Get Skoda UK customer services involved if you have to.

I thought they can claim for the workshop time and parts if a Management car needs work doing after its sold, especially as the rusty brakes are probably due to it being stood for a few weeks.

Edited by glosrich

I bought one of those 'management' cars. Mine had tyres on the wear indicator at 6k miles so I suspect they're driven spiritedly.

I've had one in the past too, defo wouldn't again, they're not well looked after all.

• Like 1

We've just sold our MkII ex-management car.

At 8 years old it was mint, no major issues, clearly looked after by it's first 6,000 management miles  :D

Picture%2011_zpsysjyetkl.jpg

• Like 1

... but they aren't 'Management' cars are they?

Who is the previous owner on the V5?

Skoda UK, Milton Keynes.

A common practice, register the car (to keep monthly sales up) and let management run them as company cars for a few months.

Then use them to feed the approved used car scheme and keep their dealer network in good supply of nearly new cars.

Not so popular now, PCH deals are doing a similar job.

Edited by silver1011

If you don't do much mileage/have reason to brake from a high speed too often, to give them a clean, when driving at a decent speed, come up on the handbrake a bit now & again.

Skoda UK, Milton Keynes.

A common practice, register the car (to keep monthly sales up) and let management run them as company cars for a few months.

Then use them to feed the approved used car scheme and keep their dealer network in good supply of nearly new cars.

Not so popular now, PCH deals are doing a similar job.

I've been on this scheme. The cars have to be looked after as they are rigorously inspected on return. All cars must be returned with at least 4mm of treat left on each tire. Every stone chip is repaired and paid for by the employee that has used the car. Same goes for wheels and interior. If you are hard on the car you end up with a hefty bill and the car is rectified before being released into the dealer network.

Many of these cars do very few miles. If I was looking for a second hand car this would be the kind of car I would be looking for.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine still had part of the plastic seat protectors under the rear headrests where they'd simply been ripped off the seats  :D

Here is the original advert. Wish you could still pick up a nearly new Scout for £14K!

ScoutAdvert.jpg

To me it looks like if you give it a bit of use those brakes should clean up a bit more than they already are. Discs are ten a penny these days, I would just put a new set on if they were bothering me that much.