Front cup holder

Following on from my central binnacle post .Having removed the cup holder l proceeded to remove the inner cassette by carefully flexing the two lugs holding it in place.Next l flexed the casing around the two pivot pins and removed the inner workings carefully noting how the return spring was located.Have cleaned everywhere and have looked for any indication where there were any broken ,damaged or missing parts but so far nothing! Anybody been here before would really appreciate any help.Cheers.

I had it all to pieces and cleaned it as new and is still not latch closing .Theres a small pivoted piece of plastic with a springy finger which l think is not connecting correctly but cannot quite fathom out what's missing/worn/broken.

There is supposed to be a very small nub sticking out of the bottom of the "Long" piece. That goes into the pivot piece of plastic you were refering to.

If you put it back to gether and look through the rear so you can see the springy pivot piece you will see how the arm moves towards it. If of course it is still there!

You can repair it with a very small metal pin.

I wish I'd taken photos now as I had mine out yesterday!!!!!

Thanks Outofthi5world for your offer that l might take you up on if l can't fix mine.Munster thanks some photos for you to look at if you wouldattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg     this is your 1st photo

Ok mate the small pin is on the piece of the cup holder that moves towards this bit. The cut out with the "V" and "W" on their side is where the pin slides along and sits, closing the cup holder and then when you push it down it rotates it free to open it again.

Hopefully that makes sense and you can see what I mean when you hold the unit up facing away from you and slowly push the holder into the unit. Look through the hole at the back and you will see the 2 parts move towards each other. I am betting on your small pin having sheared off!

Edited by munster
  • Like 1

Thanks munster for replying,If l understand correctly the pin is missing from the edge of the cutout in photo 2 ,it isn't clearly visible that it has broken off that position and there were no remains to be found.l must have too much spare time to spend on this but l seem to like a challenge !! Thanks again munster.

Eureka ! as Archimedes said ,just found the location of the missing pin .l'd been looking at the wrong piece,it is on the lowest point on the lid moulding,of course ,you stupid boy!! Attached poor photo shows the location .Off to bed a happier bunny.post-122552-0-56058300-1470438313_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep thats the puppy, you can fix it though. Just take your time and don't go crazy with an over long pin as you'll only get fed up with modding it, then trying it, then modding it etc :happy:

The hole no idea. The pin is no more than a couple of mm in diameter. Think paperclip thickness. Get some good quality araldite or similar and set it in place for 24hrs before you try to use it.

• Like 1

Still faffing about Munster,I'm thinking the 'pin'is triangularish(such a word?)in profile looking at the shape of the remains and the 'v' and 'w' shapes in the springy pivot piece ,laterally thinking of the shapes of retractable ball point pen mechanism,waffle waffle.!

Still faffing about Munster,I'm thinking the 'pin'is triangularish(such a word?)in profile looking at the shape of the remains and the 'v' and 'w' shapes in the springy pivot piece ,laterally thinking of the shapes of retractable ball point pen mechanism,waffle waffle.!

Don't worry about the triangle bit just a straight forward pin will work fine.

The front ashtray has a similar pin type latching arrangement, which wears and stops the lid from closing properly too. Need to extract my cup holder and sort it out as it has stopped latching too

Ok round it is munster .The front ashtray is my next challenge octyal,perhaps we should set up a best fix it competition ho ho !!

I  cheated and bought another one quite reasonably from another member I think

• Like 1

The pin on my front ashtray I used a M2 cap headed bolt, and run a tap through the plastic so it could be adjusted in/out to run in the grooves correctly :)

Good shout that :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu........

post-84511-0-50052100-1476388387_thumb.jpg

It disintegrated while i was cleaning out yesterday :( after my cuppa coffee went upside down out of it when someone pulled out in front of me.

Rather peeved

• 5 years later...
On 11/08/2016 at 09:38, octyal said:

I  cheated and bought another one quite reasonably from another member I think

Hi, I am new here. I see your post is old since 2016  I am wondering if you could share some clear pics of that fixed pin as i am having the same issue.

PS: my next stop will be the front ashtray too 😁

Screenshot_20220414-235243_Chrome.jpg