MKIII VRS TSI drivers getting more than 30Mpg...how do you drive?!

I did consider the RS but in the UK it is pretty much guaranteed to get stolen (or an attempt made to steal it) so I decided not to.

Have you considered importing? You can get a fully specced RS here via brokers for under £30000?

Its the goverments taxes which makes the car cost the crazy amount. My vrs230 52000gbp. The more hp the worse it get's. Norway is not a country for carnuts like me
  • Like 1

Its the goverments taxes which makes the car cost the crazy amount. My vrs230 52000gbp. The more hp the worse it get's. Norway is not a country for carnuts like me

There are plenty of UK addresses (and people) to which you can register any vehicle (for a modest annual fee).

Order an RS via a broker here and when it's due to be delivered, simply get a flight over from Norway and then drive it upto a suitable port (probably in Scotland).

From there you just drive it into Norway?

The car's registered to a "UK citizen" and you get to drive it with impunity.  You have the paperwork to say you're the legal owner.

Unless Norway has even more draconian laws regarding its citizens than the UK - which I can't believe.

There are plenty of UK addresses (and people) to which you can register any vehicle (for a modest annual fee).

Order an RS via a broker here and when it's due to be delivered, simply get a flight over from Norway and then drive it upto a suitable port (probably in Scotland).

From there you just drive it into Norway?

The car's registered to a "UK citizen" and you get to drive it with impunity. You have the paperwork to say you're the legal owner.

Unless Norway has even more draconian laws regarding its citizens than the UK - which I can't believe.

Its not allowed as Norwegian citizen driving on foreign licenceplates in Norway. Its a country which builds welfare on taxes. So the laws and regulations are very strict.

Taxes are calculated out of horsepower, CO2 and some other factors. Electric cars, like Tesla, no taxes.

• Like 1

Ahhhh, so exactly like the UK then.

Probably a discussion for another time but I often wonder why 63 million people in the UK allow 650 MPs to anally rape them on a daily basis.

Its like this everywhere. Sad sad times. :(

• Like 1

My car is a 2015 TSI DSG hatch and I've put 13000 km on it now. 

On my daily commute the car consumes about 7.7 l / 100, which is on ring roads and motorways with some traffic. 

I went on a 400 km trip today, with b-roads and speeds between 70-130 km/h, and the consumption dropped to 7.0 l / 100 km (40.3 mpg) with my girlfriend and dog in the car. I did floor it a few times for overtaking so I bet it could manage a bit better with me being less aggressive on the throttle. 

Its a country which builds welfare on taxes. 

And oil ;)

Its like this everywhere. Sad sad times. :(

If only the 63 million UK citizens possessed something resembling a backbone, marched on the streets of London and threatened to raze all Government buildings to the ground unless these punitive taxes were abolished, eh?

Sadly, the citizens of the UK no longer possess a backbone (jellyfish UK is the usual description) so it won't happen.

But it's nice to dream.

If only the 63 million UK citizens possessed something resembling a backbone, marched on the streets of London and threatened to raze all Government buildings to the ground unless these punitive taxes were abolished, eh?

Sadly, the citizens of the UK no longer possess a backbone (jellyfish UK is the usual description) so it won't happen.

But it's nice to dream.

They would only do it in another way, sadly whatever they name it, it's much "need" money for the government.

Anyway back to the topic, my TSi is not in real world terms far off what my mk2FL diesel vrs used to get. So I'm happy with it.

11.5k miles on it so far in 11 months

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I'm just back from a few days away in Dorset. 150 miles there, 150 miles back and probably a similar amount pootling around and about down there.

Drove like a saint on the way down there and the car reported 40.4mpg.  Filled up while down there and that tankful came out at 33mpg, which included a few days home to work prior to leaving - 33 being a fair bit up on my Fuelly long term average (see below).

Got up to 41.9 on the way back, but then hit traffic around Worthing, which brought my return journey down to 40.4mpg, so quite consistent really.  Saw 54mpg when going steady at 56mph in ideal conditions but that 'ideal' was only for a couple of minutes and wasn't sustainable for any length of time. 

Just been out to fill up.  MPG (calculated) for around Dorset and home is 40.42mpg.  That'll be my best tankful so far   :sun:

Car's just clocked over 9,000 miles.  Just thought it was interesting figures the car can make.  I can't see me getting past 42mpg in the real world, but am plenty happy with that given what it is.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Item,

I live up the Waitakere's. Commute to Queen Street. 8L per 100 to work. 9L per 100 home. Altitude.

Just rolled through 2k so nowhere near run in. If that's still a thing. Dsg too.

I drive like Nanna in traffic. But can't resist a bit of clear road.

• Like 1

For me it depends on what I'm doing.

A run to/from work and driving with a light foot I can get around about 32 over the 7 miles (according to Maxidot).

A run to/from Somerset and driving with the odd bit of zest, I regularly get 40, but I do use ACC quite a bit on that run and I use some of the more open back routes beyond Taunton to Minehead/Porlock area, where you barely see another car and the road is open and has lovely sweeping bends (B3224).

Item,

I live up the Waitakere's. Commute to Queen Street. 8L per 100 to work. 9L per 100 home. Altitude.

Just rolled through 2k so nowhere near run in. If that's still a thing. Dsg too.

I drive like Nanna in traffic. But can't resist a bit of clear road.

West Auckland VRS owners unite!

:D

I must be heavier on the foot as my run to the Airport down Golf and Hillsborough normally sees me nearer 9...not much in it though I guess.

• Like 1

West Auckland VRS owners unite!

:D

I must be heavier on the foot as my run to the Airport down Golf and Hillsborough normally sees me nearer 9...not much in it though I guess.

Scenic Drive, Godley Road, Blockhouse Bay Road.....

I'll look out for you on Kinross :)

Did 7.4L this monring, traffic is everything. School Holidays.

Yes.. I need to get out more.

• Like 2

Got 43mpg on way home today, normally get 38mpg for same journey, only difference is I decided NOT to use cruise control, I stayed at a cost constant speed too.

What type of roads, distance, speed, and what was the traffic like?

Gaz

I recall seeing a fair few posts with people getting in excess of 30Mpg whilst still putting the foot down occasionally - is this doable? Do you guys just do a lot more highway driving and spend less time in traffic than I? Do you all live on an ironing board rather than anywhere with hills?

Brand fanboys, I'm afraid.

Same with the diesel; they'll tell you they're getting 60mpg+ whilst driving like they stole it.

I don't know why they post what they do but hey ho, if it keeps them happy then good times.......just take their posts with a gallon or two of salt.

230 owner. My car has just been run in so I was nannying it a bit. So far the figures are:

Long term >1000 miles, 33mpg

Now, since the car has been run in I've been 'enjoying' it considerably more. With my last tank of fuel I got 35mpg with a mixture of driving and hard acceleration at times.

So, 1963, you're talking out your anal sphincter, my friend ????

I manage between 33 and 35 for my 15 commute with stop start town driving mixed with longer country lanes. Easy 43 on a long gentle motorway jaunt. I like to floor it in between so very happy with that. My last car a Kia ceed Gt was much slower and wouldn't budge past 33 in any circumstances.