Car crashed into the back of me, how to stop this in future?

newskodadriver

• Administrators

I'd be very surprised if the bridge didn't have a cctv coverage.

Especially if it's a busy place not best to stop at.

Ok the damage might not be much this time, but if she's got a taste for running away, what next if it's child?

Where was it, lets go google street view hunting :)

As to stopping it from happening, not a lot. If I tend to spot it then I stop and let a big gap form, then slowly manage the rear car as much as the bigger gap. Sometimes I'll stop, wait for 'focus' then wave.

Last time I had someone like that in traffic I stopped the car, got out and went to have a polite word.  Got a few beeps from motorists behind but it did the trick...

If I tend to spot it then I stop and let a big gap form, then slowly manage the rear car as much as the bigger gap. Sometimes I'll stop, wait for 'focus' then wave.

Perfect answer. Bumper to bumper incidents (incidents not accidents) are high in traffic queues that are at crawling pace, frustration, boredom, lack of concentration and texting all add to the problem. Recognise the risk and do all you possibly can to not be one of the unfortunate. Always leave at least a car lengths gap between yourself and the car in front, this gives you room to manoeuvre and also gives the added benefit of not directly sucking in the fumes in front of you. Pull away slowly and brake even slower.

A lot of motorway queues form not through accident or roadworks, just the action of sudden braking causing a domino style wave down the queue because very few drivers "manage" their space.

Edited by Oldgits
  • Like 1

When someone wants to sit on your bumper/ close to you just leave extra space in front of your vehicle to trickle forward ever so slowly, but always leave/ keep the same distance gap..

To move forward rapidly will be a starting point where speed becomes a factor and very little attention paid to the traffic pace/movement in front of you.

Edited by giandougl
  • Like 1

Fits in a Superb estate

SS-27_Stalin_Topol-M_RS-12M2_RT-2PM2_int

If that thing goes awry at launch time, itll take a lot more than the 3 poxy little fire extinguishers on the front to sort it out :D

• Like 1

1, never be afraid to stop on a bridge, I'd have got out, wrote down her ref number and told her to pull up at the end of the bridge.

2, as others have said, fit a tow bar, it'll not only protect your car but it'll also cause substantial damage to theirs even at low speed.

Another + for a towbar. I had similar many moons ago on an old Cavalier. Minor damage to the towbar, but I'd say her Fiat was a write off ,judging by the oil +water on the road. Silly bimbo said her foot "slipped off " the brake. Being generous, I'd suggest her foot was never anywhere near the pedal.

In answer to the thread title, I'm surprised no one has suggested the obvious, something I was taught a long time ago. Leave a gap in front to allow for someone arrive behind you a bit quick/closer than you'd like. You'll never be able to mitigate against every situation but a car length or so extra can often be the difference between a accident and a close call. 

• Like 1

In answer to the thread title, I'm surprised no one has suggested the obvious, something I was taught a long time ago. Leave a gap in front to allow for someone arrive behind you a bit quick/closer than you'd like. You'll never be able to mitigate against every situation but a car length or so extra can often be the difference between a accident and a close call.

as taught by the institute of advanced motorists