After Market Sunroof

Surely the sensible option is to change your car for one with a sunroof rather than destroying the one you have now??

Go for Webasto. I don't think a company that has routinely fitted sunroofs to the likes of Aston Martins, Bentleys etc will actually wreck a Skoda.

I previously had a Webasto 900 sunroof retrofitted to my Ford Focus by Executive Autocare in Hemel Hempstead. It's too bad Webasto discontinued this model.

BTW, the overhead console (sunglasses holder and such) extends IMHO fairly far so you may need to consider how far back the sunroof will be if you do go down that route. I think factory installed sunroofs have a different (shorter) console.

http://www.executiveautocare.co.uk/sunroofs.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-xaYCXMfI

Modern cars use the roof to dissipate the impact of a collision and it's a key area of strength. I really wouldn't want to be cutting a hole in it. The factory sunroof has substantial reinforcements built in to the roof that the non sunroof equipped version might lack. A better option would be to trade your car in for one with a sunroof if you you want it that much.

• Like 1

Plus with the "stock" car it won't be considered a modification.

Considered that - Insurance ? Bet you didn't ! Don't worry, they will ! £££

K.I.S.S....

Strange we were having this convo about sunroofs this afternoon. Honestly, I'd get this bee our your bonnet and move on.

Or even get a 2nd car with a proper sunroof for next to no £ ( MGF )  (probably for the cost of a sunroof lol)

Modern cars use the roof to dissipate the impact of a collision and it's a key area of strength. I really wouldn't want to be cutting a hole in it. The factory sunroof has substantial reinforcements built in to the roof that the non sunroof equipped version might lack. A better option would be to trade your car in for one with a sunroof if you you want it that much.

Agreed to that. When I was changing the rear lights on a Superb estate with panoramic roof, you could see the massive reinforcement bar. It looked like a roll cage type arrangement!

To be honest I thought these aftermarket sunroofs had disappeared. I remember them being popular back in the day but when was the last time you saw one fitted to a newish car?

I would have thought changing the car was be more cost effective in the long run.

I appreciate all the comments guys, and I had thought of most of what you are all pointing out which is why I posted " Has anyone had a aftermarket sunroof fitted" so I could talk to the supplier about these concerns and see if it was indeed viable.

I dunno, it does seem to have a resurgence to be honest - but seems to be towards expensive "panaromic" sunroofs to push certain models - or used as a "sales" mechanism on duller cars with identity crisis ?

(e.g. Citroen Catus Rip Curl Freefall Stripclub Snorkel edition perhaps).

They don't push this in sales on the octy, if you really wanted one you could spec but people aren't drawn to buy one specifically - the other attributes of the car tend to be more important.

I spec'd my previous 5 new cars with sunroofs even though all of them had air con and climate control because I like the extra light that a sunroof brings in. Especially with a black interior IMHO it makes it a much brighter and nicer place to be.