Snow Chains

sadgit1

Hi All

Off to the Dolomites later in the year and need a set of snow chains.

Has anyone on here fitted them on a Superb with standard 18" alloys?

Would like a set that self tension but unsure if the 9mm will fit or I need the thinner 7mm?

Finally should I get the (much) more expensive ladder type chain, which fit on easily and have zero clearance issues.

Any advise would be great

18's aren't in the 'approved' snow chain list in the owners manual, at least not in the 2012 edition I've got a copy of.

The manual states for technical reasons, it is only permissible to fit snow chains with the following wheel/tyre combinations:

- 7Jx16 ET45 205/55 tyres

- 6Jx16 ET50 205/55 tyres

- 6Jx17 ET45 205/50 tyres

All three of the above are only valid for 9mm chains and neither of the 16 options are valid for vehicles with 3.6 l/191 kW FSI engine.

18's aren't in the 'approved' snow chain list in the owners manual, at least not in the 2012 edition I've got a copy of.

The 18's are not in the approved list in my 2014 / FL  owners manual either. It lists the same wheel/tyre combos as your 2012 version.

According to the service manual for wheels and tyres, the following size is permitted for snow chains on the 3.6 V6: 205/50 R17 93W on a 6Jx17 ET45 wheel. It's listed under the category of "Other authorised tyres". I'd guess this is the approved winter fitment for the car.

Buy "snow socks" :) won't damage your tyres. Newer used them but bought one pair for my Seat Leon - now I need to buy 2nd pair - 4x4 :)

Did look at snow socks but it appears that the police in Europe don't recognise them in areas that have snow chains on warning signs :-(

Thanks for your replies, yes did look in the manual but did not want to buy new wheels and tires.

Looks like I will need to get the Thule K Summits,£££  however will look at the 7mm Thule CK-7 which claim to fit cars with limited clearance.

Anyone used either?

Did look at snow socks but it appears that the police in Europe don't recognise them in areas that have snow chains on warning signs :-(

Some snow sock manufactures claim they can be legally used as a snow chain replacement.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/news-and-media/autosock-can-be-used-in-italy.php

http://www.autosock.co.uk/images/downloads/using-autosock-in-france.pdf

Not sure how up to date those are and I suspect a grumpy officer might give you some hassle for snow socks.

Thanks for your replies, yes did look in the manual but did not want to buy new wheels and tires.

Looks like I will need to get the Thule K Summits,£££  however will look at the 7mm Thule CK-7 which claim to fit cars with limited clearance.

Anyone used either?

I would avoid any traditional chains on your current wheels, the potential for damage is the biggest worry.

I have some k-summits I bought for a trip last year. Very easy to get on/off (at least on some grass in the UK) but I didn't need to fit them when I was in the mountains.

I'd use the opportunity to get some 17s with decent winter tyres as you can't use the chains until the roads are properly covered in ice/snow they make a significant difference to grip compared to summer tyres once the temperature is under 7 degrees anyway.

I would avoid any traditional chains on your current wheels, the potential for damage is the biggest worry.

I have some k-summits I bought for a trip last year. Very easy to get on/off (at least on some grass in the UK) but I didn't need to fit them when I was in the mountains.

Thanks for this, yes traditional chains do look like a recipe for damage!

Funny my biggest worry after needing to use the chains in anger is NOT using them and wasting several hundred pounds :-)

Edited by sadgit1

I'd use the opportunity to get some 17s with decent winter tyres as you can't use the chains until the roads are properly covered in ice/snow they make a significant difference to grip compared to summer tyres once the temperature is under 7 degrees anyway.

I don't want the cost and hassle of a second set of wheels.

I just had a set of CrossClimates fitted which i thought would be perfect until i discovered the area of Northern Italy I an visiting says Snow Chains from 15th Oct, most areas are from Nov when I will be back.

Anyone used either?

I have been using the K-Summit chains for around 5 years now and they are a dream to use.

Yes, they are not cheap but they fit in minutes, no having to reach around the back of the wheels etc. and no clearance issues on my 18" alloys with regard to wheel arch liners. I will never use any other type of chain again. I got my set from italy via Amazon for around £212. Amazon currently have the K23 for £229. The K23's also fit my winter wheels (205/55/16) but you do need to readjust the length.

If you get a set, take the time to adjust the chain length as in the instructions and have a dry run fitting. I've used them on sheet ice in the French Alps without problems when the winter tyres needed assistance. Thule have now moved these to the Konig company.

I have snow socks as well which are good in loose snow but when it gets icy I will always fit the chains. There is discussion over are they accepted in the mountains as chains and it depends what / who you read as to what to believe.

I have been using the K-Summit chains for around 5 years now and they are a dream to use.

Yes, they are not cheap but they fit in minutes, no having to reach around the back of the wheels etc. and no clearance issues on my 18" alloys with regard to wheel arch liners. I will never use any other type of chain again. I got my set from italy via Amazon for around £212. Amazon currently have the K23 for £229. The K23's also fit my winter wheels (205/55/16) but you do need to readjust the length.

If you get a set, take the time to adjust the chain length as in the instructions and have a dry run fitting. I've used them on sheet ice in the French Alps without problems when the winter tyres needed assistance. Thule have now moved these to the Konig company.

I have snow socks as well which are good in loose snow but when it gets icy I will always fit the chains. There is discussion over are they accepted in the mountains as chains and it depends what / who you read as to what to believe.

Thanks Kevlock :-)

Thats just what I wanted to hear, I have 2 sets of K23's in my Amazon basket now!

One question, did they fit your Superb straight out the box or did you need to adjust them?

I will have a practice as soon as they arrive, not the most adept at technical stuff but if i work slowly through it sure I will be fine, looks easy enough on the youtube videos I have watched.

Thanks again for you help and advise

Thanks Kevlock :-)

Thats just what I wanted to hear, I have 2 sets of K23's in my Amazon basket now!

One question, did they fit your Superb straight out the box or did you need to adjust them?

I will have a practice as soon as they arrive, not the most adept at technical stuff but if i work slowly through it sure I will be fine, looks easy enough on the youtube videos I have watched.

Thanks again for you help and advise

If I remember correctly, for the 16" wheels they were set and for the 18's I had to adjust.

Adjusting is easy as all you do is remove bolts that squeeze the chains together. They come with a size sheet that tells you what to remove for what size tyres. All the tools you need are also supplied.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, for the 16" wheels they were set and for the 18's I had to adjust.

Adjusting is easy as all you do is remove bolts that squeeze the chains together. They come with a size sheet that tells you what to remove for what size tyres. All the tools you need are also supplied.

Thanks

2 sets on the way from Amazon!

• 3 years later...

I know its an old topic, but as winter is near I did a little test. 12mm chains on a 225/45 R17 tire 7J wide rims and ET49, its clears the shock absorber by cca 5-7mm 😎

p.s. sory for the bad picture off clearance, its hard to fit the phone back there 😂

IMG_20191001_173801.jpg

IMG_20191001_173735.jpg

This picture is taken with an unloaded car with the wheel straight. How much clearance do you have with the wheels turned (to the limit), combined with the suspension close to the bump stop? Those are the conditions the manufacturer has to look at.

its on the limit, but still clears it, manufacturer leaves a very high safety clearance. And forgot to mention my car has optional rough road package, so it sits 15mm higher, on a standard suspension it probably wouldt fit.

• 3 months later...

Found this topic, just wondering for k summit chaines on my superb...they are expencive as gold but I see they are worth (400 euros for my measurement)...

Also having 225 45 17 alloy winter wheels, and now i see I can fit them, although not recommended by instruction manual.

But who cares:)

At local thule dealer they are 430 euros, during summer time 360 on discount

Edited by djordje48

• 8 months later...

Found my post just where I left it:)

I didnt buy the chains for last season, but today I was reading that ants are digging their holes very deep so this means the next winter is going to be strong:)

Anyone else here on Briskoda with k summit? How does the car perform on ice? I mean larger skodas like oktavia and superb? Does the car dance on snow with these chains? When I mounted regular chains on fabia, the car acted as if it had 4x4 I was inpressed. But I reckon the superb being long will have some isues on snow even with front chains fitted.

Of course my question mentioned above goes to fwd longer skoda vehicles.

My winter tyres are 225 45 17 on original skoda alloys.

Thanks!😎

Edited by djordje48