Is DSG worth it?

I was alll lined up to buy a VRS 230 in manual but when I turned up for a test drive the garage concerned had just taken delivery of a demonstrater with DSG.  It took very little time to convince me I wanted DSG.

It is definitely a matter of personal preference, and you really should have a test drive.  To those who say the DSG isn't very involving or twitchy, I think you just need to be a little more sensitive with your right foot.  I'm still regularly driving both manual and my DSG everyday, and the DSG requires a better degree of finese with your right foot to let the motor know both what you're doing and what you're about to do.

• Like 2

Well I was one of the self-fulfilling prophesies, I couldn't get mine without DSG. After a few decades of manual driving I was a little hesitant and in all honesty I was not won over at the start either. There is a bit of learning to do to get the best out of it. 

A lot would depend on the driving you do, but if you sit in any traffic at all there is no decision IMHO. It is also pretty effective if you need to get a move on, from pottering about in 'D' a pull back into 'S' puts me in a good position to overtake quicker than I could in a manual. With paddles you can intervene any time to fine tune the auto mode with what you can see ahead with your eyes. Finally there is full manual, it is basically a manual box after all.

While it will not be as smooth as a full auto like some of the 8-speeders around, personally I cant really fault its slow speed manners 

Now I wouldn't go back to a manual

• Like 3

Can't really tell you whether DSG is worth it value (money) wise. Having driven manual for 40 plus years with less than thirty journeys using auto box, I recently chose DSG in my vRS TDi and I am finding it brilliant. It is so easy, relaxing and comfortable to use and responds very well, plus you can override auto gear change by using the paddles on the steering wheel if so desired (in some respects giving you the best of both worlds from the control sense). Having made the decision I did have concerns as to whether I had made the right choice but first drive I settled into it without difficulty and since then it has become a very pleasurable experience confirming that for me I made the right decision. Still early days but cannot see me now going back to a manual box. As others have said it really is a personal choice and depends on how much you like to be involved in the driving, similar to your choices on auto all other options (lights, parking, speed control, etc).

• Like 2

I'm curious to know, did the guys who switched to DSG after years of auto just get in and go for it, or did it take a bit of practice first? I'd be worries about test driving an auto but I am considering this for our next car (possibly a Kodiaq).

I'm curious to know, did the guys who switched to DSG after years of auto just get in and go for it, or did it take a bit of practice first? I'd be worries about test driving an auto but I am considering this for our next car (possibly a Kodiaq).

Going to auto from a manual gear change you have to forget your left leg and that comes quite easy as there is often a foot rest for it, then just relax and learn to let the car do its job. My first time using an auto box was in USA (all opposite hand as you know) but I didn't find any real difficulty. It allowed me to concentrate on 'wrong side' driving and the route etc. Give it a go - I think you might enjoy it .

• Like 1

It's true , for a short time your left foot wavers around as all of a sudden it's redundant but it doesn't last long, things settle quickly and everything feels fine.

I remember taking my Scirocco out for a test drive, it was on the North Circular Road and it was pretty busy but everything went really well except for the braking, DSG Sciroccos seemed to have really good brakes compared to my manual Mondeo!

• Like 1

Thanks AccoSnr for your reply, and obvs I meant years of Manual not years of Auto. To the OP, I'd love to hear how you get on!

It's true , for a short time your left foot wavers around as all of a sudden it's redundant but it doesn't last long, things settle quickly and everything feels fine.

Chance to learn left foot braking?

• Like 1

No you can just get in and go for it!

If I have not driven an auto in a while, I tend to fold my left leg back so my left foot has further to go in case I have a 'clutch moment'. 

It is just as one of the previous posts (#26) said, you need to be a bit sensitive with the throttle, especially when going slow or in traffic. To a large extent you can control the gearbox behaviour with the way you use the throttle. It takes a little while to get used to that.

I would also make sure you spec paddles if they are not standard (like some non-vrs Octys) to be able to momentarily override the box but stay in auto is priceless for me. Without them you have to go into manual if playing with the throttle does not do the job.

I've had both over the years. Auto is more expensive and uses a bit more fuel and is more expensive to fix.

But on our congested roads it makes more sense 90% of the time.

The 10% 'loss of absolute control' the manual crowd shout about, is offset by the ease of driving and the ability to concentrate on the traffic and car position instead of wasting time moving a stick up and down all the time.

• Like 3

As for residuals, I doubt you would be significantly better or worse off over a manual...

One hundred percent agreement there.

It is definitely a matter of personal preference, and you really should have a test drive.  ...

One hundred percent agreement again.

I'm curious to know, did the guys who switched to DSG after years of auto just get in and go for it, or did it take a bit of practice first? I'd be worries about test driving an auto....

A tip I was given many years ago is make a conscious effort to really press your left foot to the floor (and/or left leg pressed against the central console, whichever is appropriate for your leg and the design of the car) and keep it there. Then remember the car won't stall if you stop and haven't pressed the clutch to the floor/gone into neutral. After a few miles in urban driving it becomes normal not to use the left leg. When you start to feel some cramp, you're doing it right!

After over 20 years with an auto, and switching almost daily with my wife's manual cars, it does become second nature to adapt between.

But remember you will need your left leg when you get back into a manual!

• Like 1

The problem is a bit chicken/egg.

You can't buy a higher powered VAG car* with 4wd without DSG any more. Or a BMW etc. etc. Sir wants an Audi A4 3.0tdi Quattro?, that'll be DSG only, Sir wants a BMW 330d X-Drive? That'll be auto only, Sir wants a 280 Superb? DSG only.

So You won't see a 'prestige car' with a manual gearbox, even if people like me wanted to buy one.

There may be a low demand, but without the option, it is a self fulfilling prophesy

*except perhaps a Golf R hatch, but not the estate

Other half was buying a new car last year and considered a Lexus - but the only Lexus you could buy was a petrol powered hybrid (probably also auto box). She has yet to be converted to DSG. She bought a MK3 TT in the end and the choice there was very limited also (Quattro version was DSG only). 

Lexus use CVT's, my in laws have a GS450h and an IS300h, lovely cars but I cannot get on with those gearboxes!

FWIW, I have a DSG but only because I wanted the 4x4 vRS and there is no manual option. Do I like it? Yes. Would I pay extra for it as an option on a different car? No, I'd spend the extra on other options. Not due to residuals but because life's too short :D I spec a car to use and enjoy, not purely as a financial transaction.

I realise for some it's non negotiable because of a physical disability or because they do a lot of city/congestion driving. Happily not the case for me at present.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Much as I feared, it does seem to be personal opinion. I'm really torn; I love the idea of it but think it's a lot of money. I'm not worried about the reliability or scare stories as it'll be under warranty.

May have to see whether the dealership have something with a DSG box to try.

Most of the complaints here about auto stop/start seem to come from those with auto boxes.

Yes but that is more to do with the Stop/Start being too aggressive than any problem with the gearbox. It is just the DSG shows up the issue more and the way the S/S is set spoils the usually fluid behaviour of the DSG.

I was convinced I wanted DSG on my next car until I drove one...

Test drove a manual and DSG over the same route back to back and don't get me wrong it wasn't bad by any means and I was mightily impressed by the smoothness of the changes, you really couldn't tell other than by looking at the rev counter.

What I didn't like was the feeling of 'lack of control' when you first pulled away from rest. It pulled away smartly enough and there wasn't a lot of delay but it just felt like the car was driving you rather than the other way round which I felt was going to be a worry for me when pulling out of junctions into traffic etc. I suppose you'd get used to it and adapt your driving style accordingly but I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost for me.

One other minor point is it cast doubts about the fuel economy, I know the DSG is actually supposed to be slightly better than the manual but we drove the same 10mile route which was probably 70% town and 30% busy motorway and having reset the computer the manual claimed an average of 44mpg and the DSG 38mpg (both 1.4tsi ACT engines and both had a only few hundred miles on the clock). I know you can't really tell much from a journey like that but it just cast some doubt in my mind which added to the argument that it wasn't for me.

Edited by Cznski
  • Like 1

Cznski

Its more reliable pulling out at junctions as you cannot stall the DSG.

You do get used to it and it is so smooth and great when combined with cruise.

With defacto "launch control" when exiting roundabouts hit reset cruise.

The fact that you stay in Edinburgh with all the start stop traffic,,,trust me its much better,, think of your left leg muscle!!!

Yeah I always felt very confident pulling out of junctions and roundabouts with the DSG. As you just know that once you're able to go you just have to press the accelerator and you're off!

This is true of all autos too. I also feel in far more control of the car given that my hands can remain on the wheel at all times.

• Like 1

Yeah I always felt very confident pulling out of junctions and roundabouts with the DSG. As you just know that once you're able to go you just have to press the accelerator and you're off!

Yep. Approaching junctions/roundabouts, if there's traffic around and I'm going to stop, I disengage SS. Don't need to look down, I know exactly where it is. That way when I move off, the car's in gear and trying to go, so no hesitation is seen.

Yes but that is more to do with the Stop/Start being too aggressive than any problem with the gearbox. It is just the DSG shows up the issue more and the way the S/S is set spoils the usually fluid behaviour of the DSG.

There's nothing wrong with the stop/start - it works perfectly with a manual box. It's just the interaction with an auto box that's apparently awkward.

One point you may want to take into account is that I noticed, reading the Octavia brochure, that Skoda cover their clutch assemblies under warranty for only 6 months from new, which I think is scandalous ( and could probably be challenged in the courts  if they were to fail so soon). Does not show much faith in their clutch assemblies, does it? As far as I'm aware, the DSG gearbox gets the full 3 years warranty

• Like 1

Totally personal choice.

I would not cloud your judgement to much with other opinions. Each to there own.

Dsg or manual.. The car will depreciate heavily, these are not prestigious or desirable as a brand, just a run of the mill car, plus there are a lot of used octavias out there now on the market.

I chose dsg as I had the cash for my options and I wanted an easy comfy car to transport the family about. Basic family transport. It serves that purpose.

• Like 2