things that niggle you about your yeti!

aernala

Must say that I would have liked to have seen a stronger back to the rear seats so that there's no risk of damaging either the cloth seat backs, or the "leather" rear seat armrest. I suspect they have cloth backs in order to keep down the wight of the removable rear seats that are often criticised in the car reviews for being too heavy when lifting them in & out of the car.

What is really needed is a cover to protect the rear centre "armrest" when it is up and exposed to everything in the boot. Other cars seem to have an opening hatch separate from the armrest.

• Like 2

What is really needed is a cover to protect the rear centre "armrest" when it is up and exposed to everything in the boot. Other cars seem to have an opening hatch separate from the armrest.

You mean like on the Octavia 1 and 2, most Citroens and Hondas with rear armrest...

Edited by KenONeill

For me the main one is the steering controls cause an iPhone to switch back to iTunes when using Spotify on the USB. Bluetooth is fine. It also always auto plays the first song.

That leads to the second which is switched ignition vs always on 12V sockets

Third is that the auto mirror tilt in reverse only comes with an electric seat

Fourth - want the maxidot to show set speed for cruise. It should also have the option of a digital speedo as some VWs do. I'd also like a speed limiter rather than speed warning - far better for average speed zones

Completely agree on the mirror control and heated front window

• Like 1

I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread (apologies if it has been) - the removal of the lights 'on' warning in the instrument cluster.

The only reminder/clue/check of whether the lights are on is to look past your right hand/sterring wheel at the light switch and try and suss out whether what is illuminated ('auto' '<>' etc) means the lights are on or not. Originally, the Yeti had the cluster warning light.   

I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread (apologies if it has been) - the removal of the lights 'on' warning in the instrument cluster.

The only reminder/clue/check of whether the lights are on is to look past your right hand/sterring wheel at the light switch and try and suss out whether what is illuminated ('auto' '<>' etc) means the lights are on or not. Originally, the Yeti had the cluster warning light.

I agree - a real omission. It isn't even as if a headlight symbol illuminates on the switch, just a sidelight symbol! I actually found the best indicator of lights on was to look up to see if the little submarine lights were on (until I got an L&K with a sunroof so no submarine lights).

I agree - a real omission. It isn't even as if a headlight symbol illuminates on the switch, just a sidelight symbol! I actually found the best indicator of lights on was to look up to see if the little submarine lights were on (until I got an L&K with a sunroof so no submarine lights).

+1, I find this lack of dipped beam light a really big omission, just what was the thinking behind removing this basic feature?

I agree - a real omission. It isn't even as if a headlight symbol illuminates on the switch, just a sidelight symbol!

The headlight symbol is to show the headlights are on in manual for those that need reminding they switched them on, the "Sidelight Symbol" as you call it comes on with the Auto symbol to show the headlights are on in Auto.

That is not difficult to see and if you say it's dangerous to look that far away from the road I ask "do you use your mirrors", they are further away and you are looking in them more often and for movement not just to see if a light is on or off.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only had the Yeti a couple of days and one thing for me that is already niggling is the fact the Maxi Dot displays KMH and there is no way to change it to MPH, why do I need KMH when 90% of the cars life will be MPH?

Because the regulations demand that there is a display for both MPH and KPH, and for some reason VAG did not put the KPH marks on the speedo.

There is a way to get an MPH reading in the maxidot, and that is to find someone with VCDS and get them to set your car to "Australia".

my niggles are all minor too

bonnet release on passenger side ( as previously mentioned )

maxidot rolling control wheel in the steering wheel is too easy to move when steering round corners ie if your looking at mpg next time you look its oil temp etc.

wax mark on sills between front and back doors

poor placement markers for jacking points  ( previously mentioned)

hard to remove fuse box lid on side of dash.( top tang catches behind part of dash and is hard to get out)

apart from these issues i still love my yeti 

my niggles are all minor too

hard to remove fuse box lid on side of dash.( top tang catches behind part of dash and is hard to get out)

apart from these issues i still love my yeti 

I think it is supposed to do that, so it doesn't fall out!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am looking to change my FL1 for a Yeti or Octavia. When I sat in a late Yeti my first instinct was that the steering wheel was at a very slight angle to the seat. Not sure how to explain this but a few manufacturers have built cars with slight alignment issues over the years to resolve overall dimension issues. The Morris Marina was noted for it and was said to be the cause of back strain for commercial drivers. I have a dodgy back and don't need anything that will aggravate it.

1 hour ago, Fidlock said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am looking to change my FL1 for a Yeti or Octavia. When I sat in a late Yeti my first instinct was that the steering wheel was at a very slight angle to the seat. Not sure how to explain this but a few manufacturers have built cars with slight alignment issues over the years to resolve overall dimension issues. The Morris Marina was noted for it and was said to be the cause of back strain for commercial drivers. I have a dodgy back and don't need anything that will aggravate it.

Yes it is very slightly out of line, as are many of other cars, but I've never found it causes a problem. Best bet would be to take a long test drive.

On 27/02/2017 at 13:06, Llanigraham said:

Yes it is very slightly out of line, as are many of other cars, but I've never found it causes a problem. Best bet would be to take a long test drive.

You won't want a Lamborghini then.

The accelerator is where you would find the brake on any normal car!

Good job they are flappy paddle these days.

It would be a shame to get white dog hairs and nose art all over a Lamborghini's windows and seats. Besides, I couldn't get in one; that's why I'm looking at a Yeti. Thanks for the replies. Now I know I'm not quite as daft as I thought.

3 hours ago, CFB said:

You won't want a Lamborghini then.

The accelerator is where you would find the brake on any normal car!

Good job they are flappy paddle these days.

Can't say I noticed it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 11:47, Fidlock said:

I have both Yeti and Octavia, the slight alignment issue isn't a big issues and certainly the driving position is far more straight than you get in many longitudinal engined BMW's and Audi's

There is a potential problem that some find is the Yeti and that is the steering wheel reach. Some find if you position the seat to get the perfect leg position the steering wheel is a couple of inches too far away. Adjust the seat to get a perfect reach to the steering wheel and your legs are a little cramped. You get used to it but it's not ideal. Get an extended test drive if you can.

The Octavia doesn't have the same issues you can generally get a more ergonomic seating position but then you have a low seating position instead of the raised seating position of the Yeti. 

The Yeti is easier to get in and out of and the Octavia is more ergonomically perfect. Just depends on your mobility and back condition as to what would suite you best.

Regards

Lee

• Like 1

Some sort of indication/warning on the dashboard to advise when 4 wheel drive is active and this could also help indicating one of the tyres had lost a lot of pressure with a large reduction in tyre diameter causing the 4 wheel drive to engage.

Edited by Sad555

9 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Some sort of indication/warning on the dashboard to advise when 4 wheel drive is active and this could also help indicating one of the tyres had lost a lot of pressure with a large reduction in tyre diameter causing the 4 wheel drive to engage.

Surely it is active all the time as a permanent system. Power is sent to the wheels that need it, so at best you might get a momentary flash of a lamp if you had an indicator light?