Day time and rear lights?

My octavia has day time running lights that are bright and do a good job in dull light. However, when switched to the auto lights function the main lights usually kick in which I think is unnecessary. I would rather be able to keep the day time lights on with the rear lights on too. I see cars on the motorway at dusk with no rear lights on where they are driving with just the day time running lights on.

Is it possible to have running lights and rear lights on at the same time?

I'd the above set up on my 2009 Elegance by Gordon Lamb Skoda.

I asked the current dealer yesterday about F & R DRL on my 2016 SE 1.4TSI and they said no. Great that members can do it.

Edited by gregoir

When I ordered mine, I simply said that I would want the lights to work that way. So the dealer coded it for no extra charge.

From the 30th of July next year this will be a requirement for all new cars in the EU, so I guess you could try to persuade the dealer to fix it for free, as he sort of sold you a "soon to be obsolete" car. :-)

• Like 1

That's how they seem to come standard in NZ... DRL & rear lights at all times (maybe just the one dealer).  Presume they code as part of the PDI?

When I ordered mine, I simply said that I would want the lights to work that way. So the dealer coded it for no extra charge.

From the 30th of July next year this will be a requirement for all new cars in the EU, so I guess you could try to persuade the dealer to fix it for free, as he sort of sold you a "soon to be obsolete" car. :-)

Source? DRL is - by defintion - front lights only. 

Rears are required in Denmark and Norway, it's tolerated here to drive without them. Did see an Auris on the Motorway yesterday when it was *dark* running on DRLs only, no rears. 

You can also change the sensitivity of the light turn-on in the menu, at least in my car.

- Bret

As it is anyway if it is dark, poor visibility etc then DRL's & Rear Side Light / Position lights is not whats needed,

its Dipped Beam which will have on the Side Light(Position Lights) 

& the Rear Sides and Number Plate lights.

Exactly. Too many (one is too many) driving around in the dark on just DRLs or - sometimes worse - sidelights.

Does anyone know how to code tail lights on (but without dash illumination like the Scandanavian coding) with DRLs for cars equipped with LED tails as standard. All the codings that I have tried only illuminate a single LED in the tails. Which ever committee dictated that DRLs should not include tail lights should all be shot at dawn. How stupid can you get. Now probably half the cars driving around at dusk are completely invisible from the rear.

Further to my question above:-

"Does anyone know how to code tail lights on (but without dash illumination like the Scandanavian coding) with DRLs for cars equipped with LED tails as standard. All the codings that I have tried only illuminate a single LED in the tails."

I should probably have stated "All the codings that I have tried INCLUDING THOSE LISTED ON BRISKODA only illuminate a single BLOCK of LEDs in the tails.

I dont understand how that should happen?

Leuchte 23SL and Leuchte 24SL is the taillights, and that means all the LEDs, it isnt divided into sections as in some VW and Audis.

If I remember correctly, I simply set Lichtfunktion D23 and D24 to Daytime running lights.

Dimmwert (CD 23&24) to 100 and Dimming direction to maximise was already set in my car because C23 & C24 was set to CL / LH.

You must remember to reset lights to factory on your screen when done.

What to you mean by that?

On my 2016 with LED taillights there are only one channel per side.

Leuchte 23 and Leuchte 24.

Thats all the LEDs in each taillight, on, off or dimmed, all together.

Turn signal, braking lights, backup lamp and rear fog lights has of course theyr own channel, but that is not what we are talking about, is it?

I should probably have stated "All the codings that I have tried INCLUDING THOSE LISTED ON BRISKODA only illuminate a single BLOCK of LEDs in the tails.

When you turn the sidelights or headlights on manually do any other taillights come on?

Pictures of the taillights in Auto and sidelight/headlight on would be useful.

The commonly published method to enable rear lights with DRLs uses changes to just Leuchte23SL and Leuchte24SL and this method appears to be for both Skoda and VW.

Although this works with some cars it appears to be incomplete for some others. For example I have now established that for a MK7 Golf with LEDs changes are required to Leuchte23SL, Leuchte24SL, Leuchte20BR, Leuchte21BR, and Leuchte27NSL

Ok thanks. Is that something a dealer could do?

Yes  they could/can...  

In my case.. when while under warranty  one fine day I noticed both front drl led strips weren't on... Showed up at the dealers garage where the car was hooked to their computer... As they saw the settings had gotten disconfigured they configured them back... I was then told I could also get the led tail-lights on (just, no license plate lights) also as tail DRL's   which I Immediately asked to be done, even got a new option on MIB to turn DRLs ON/OFF, everything free of charge (warranty benefit, I suppose)