1.4 TSi v 2.0 TDi

1.4 TSi v 2.0 TDi 

Yes I know this has been done to death but when this choice is discussed only two driving scenario tend to be considered.

1 Used in town, lots of stop start driving, short journeys, low annual miles – get a petrol

2 Lots of long motorway journeys at a decent constant pace, high annual miles - get a diesel

Now that seems to make sense, but both of these scenarios are a long way away from my car use.

Daily commute, country roads 6 miles in 6 miles back, 50/60 mph most of the way a wee bit of 30 mph at both ends. Annual miles 16000ish, seldom near a dual carriageway, a motorway or congested traffic apart from holidays. Most of my driving outside of commute is similar country roads 60 mph for a lot of the time but not constant like it could be on a dual carriageway or motorway (twisty bits, villages, tractors etc.), some long runs but these can be sporadic.

Should say probably talking about buying 1-2 yr old (manual) car with 10-20K on clock and keeping for about 5 years, so lease deals or residuals not important but any problems will definitely be my problems.

Currently car Octavia 2   1.9 PD which does the job fine but does of course benefit from not being saddled with a DPF

Any thoughts? or better still experience, of this sort of use.

Daily commute, country roads 6 miles in 6 miles back, 50/60 mph most of the way a wee bit of 30 mph at both ends.

To me that suggests a petrol, as that sort of distance/style of regular trip probably won't be enough for the DPF regen to complete (maybe not even start?) while driving.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 2

1.2 TSI with DSG sounds like the car you need,, good performance to MPG ratio.

Loving mine had it for 3 months and great cruising and MPG

• Like 1

Similar circumstances for me:-

Slow commute longer that yours (30 miles each way) but slower (it takes over an hour - so average is less than 30mph). Occasionally do a long trip involving motorways but only every couple of months

A friend has had DPF problems on the same journey (diesel VRS) although it was an early implementation (newer designs better)

I bought a 14 month old Superb 1.4 tsi, so far so good and economy has been better than expected. To be honest it's only been about 2-3mpg less than what my previous 1.9 pd Superb did on the same journey types - I was expecting much worse

However the best bit - it's soooo quiet

My next car will have a tsi engine

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1.4 TSi v 2.0 TDi 

Currently car Octavia 2   1.9 PD which does the job fine but does of course benefit from not being saddled with a DPF

Or SCR/AdBlue - Sept 2015 is the Euro 6 cutoff point - many diesels also have SCR after (and many before) this

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Hi, I have a thread on Octy 11 section comparing the mk11 to the mk111 most replies are suggesting I keep my 1.9 tdi unless I have serious issues with it, which touch wood I haven't, too be honest I think the latest diesel vehicles are going to be aimed at business users for high mileage up to the first 3 year ownership, then sold on so the second owner experiences the ' issues ' manufacturers see looming, I've had a few comments about residual vales being low on the mk111 and I have a feeling that as most relevantly new cars go back to the franchised dealers those valuing them know of the looming issues......

I have a strong feeling I will be going to keep both diesels as long as I can, unless I choose to update one to a 1.4 tsi superb

• Like 2

Due to your regular 6 mile commute I'd say the 1.4tsi all day long. I only do 5k a year in my CR vRS but the trips vary in length so the DPF isn't an issue for me. One thing you'll notice is that during winter the petrol will warm up a lot quicker so the inside of your car will too.

Get a test drive and see if you like it- I had the 1.4tsi 128hp mk2 Octy which was surprisingly grunty but felt I wanted more top end zip so the 140? hp 1.4 in the mk3 should be a nice drive

• Like 1

I did the 1.9pd to 1.4tsi transition and no regrets.

Much lighter so more nimble, almost as economical, heater will be working half way to work on the coldest days, quieter, smoother.

Not read of any complaints or issues with this unit in any forum, just surprise and delight at its versatility.

I have the 140hp version and most who have this unit report average consumption in the mid 40s.

I reckon if I was doing the commute you describe my average may be better than 50.

If you were buying new and running costs important then I would suggest looking at the new 1.0tsi. A lad in Finland is getting almost unbelievable returns from his but no confirmatory reports from others yet as they are so newly released.

• Like 1

1.4 TSi v 2.0 TDi 

Yes I know this has been done to death but when this choice is discussed only two driving scenario tend to be considered.

1 Used in town, lots of stop start driving, short journeys, low annual miles – get a petrol

2 Lots of long motorway journeys at a decent constant pace, high annual miles - get a diesel

Now that seems to make sense, but both of these scenarios are a long way away from my car use.

Daily commute, country roads 6 miles in 6 miles back, 50/60 mph most of the way a wee bit of 30 mph at both ends. Annual miles 16000ish, seldom near a dual carriageway, a motorway or congested traffic apart from holidays. Most of my driving outside of commute is similar country roads 60 mph for a lot of the time but not constant like it could be on a dual carriageway or motorway (twisty bits, villages, tractors etc.), some long runs but these can be sporadic.

Should say probably talking about buying 1-2 yr old (manual) car with 10-20K on clock and keeping for about 5 years, so lease deals or residuals not important but any problems will definitely be my problems.

Any thoughts? or better still experience, of this sort of use.

Taking the average 261 working days per year @ 12 miles a day your daily commute takes you to approx. 3,132 miles per year.

So your 12 mile daily commute suggests a petrol would be ideal.

However you must do some serious mileage on a weekend or go on several overseas holidays to get up to a 16,000 mile annual mileage. This then puts you on the border where diesel economy begins to take an advantage.

If as you say those 16,000 miles is mostly at around A-road / motorway speeds then despite your short daily commute you are unlikely to see the usual issues low annual mileage has on modern diesels.

Saying that my personal view on the annual mileage where diesel becomes advantageous is higher than the 12-15K often cited. Given the relative complexity associated with modern diesels if I was doing 20K or less I'd be looking at petrol. It is only my 30K annual mileage that keeps me in a diesel.

• Like 1

I moved from a 2.5 year old 1.6TDI CR to the 1.4TSI. Unless you are doing high milage the CR is unlikely to get warm enough for you to get the full economy from the TDI. I travel 5 miles to work at 30MPH and less and the TDI never got fully warm, the TSI is kicking heat out after a mile and fully warm by 3, I'd go for one of the TSI engines.

• Like 1

We run three family cars and all used to be diesel, we've had 1.9 TDi's, 1.9 PD's, 1.6CR's and 2.0CR's

Now all are TSi's and absolutely no regrets. Our Yeti's do about 8k a year and the Octavia around 15k.

Our 1.6CR Golf was a nightmare with DPF issues and the 2.0CR had EGR issues.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

My 1.4 TSi manual was showing high 30's average consumption, nearly all short trips around town.

Then last weekend we went to Meriden. The motorways were well choked most of the way there, real nightmare,  but okay coming back.

By the time we got back the average consumption reading had gone up to 48 mpg !!!

• Like 1

I've not seen this type of thread. Just swapped from a 2009 2.0PDI Octavia facelift hatch to a 2016 Octavia 1.4l TSI Combi so very interested. Did not want the hassle of a DPF with my much lower annual mileage. The performance feels about the same under normal driving and the mpg on longish non motorway trips is so far about 50mpg according to the display. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Got the same dilema 4 months ago. Though the mind and logic show 1.4TSI in my case, I've ended with 2.0 TDI. No regrets so far.

Just I felt it more balanced for me. Drive, test, if you want it the logical decision go for 1.4TSI. Although I've classified them as follows (for me only)

1.4 TSI

2.0 TDI

1.8 TSI

2.0 TSI

I wanted 1.8 TSI but could not wait months to be delivered. 2.0TDI was ready, here I get much lower tax compared to 1.8/2.0 TSI and I felt it more promising in power distribution and low rev torque than 1.4TSI.

Also 1.4TSI had bad reputation from previous release, I was not fully confident all is fixed. Yes 2.0 has it downsides - diesel stuff, DPF, etc but I like it when cruising outside the cities. Very much like it to be honest.

• Like 1

Got the same dilema 4 months ago. Though the mind and logic show 1.4TSI in my case, I've ended with 2.0 TDI. No regrets so far.

Just I felt it more balanced for me. Drive, test, if you want it the logical decision go for 1.4TSI. Although I've classified them as follows (for me only)

1.4 TSI

2.0 TDI

1.8 TSI

2.0 TSI

I wanted 1.8 TSI but could not wait months to be delivered. 2.0TDI was ready, here I get much lower tax compared to 1.8/2.0 TSI and I felt it more promising in power distribution and low rev torque than 1.4TSI.

Also 1.4TSI had bad reputation from previous release, I was not fully confident all is fixed. Yes 2.0 has it downsides - diesel stuff, DPF, etc but I like it when cruising outside the cities. Very much like it to be honest.

I was likewise torn between the 2.0 CR Diesel and the 1.4tsi Petrol ( I didn't like the 1.6 CR diesel in the Superb - seemed a lot less responsive that my previous 1.9pd)

Obviously the DPF was a consideration but to be honest the implementation on the 2.0CR engines much better that 2.0pd versions

The thing that swayed me we in the end was leaving nearly £5k in my bank account (used petrol was incredibly discounted) - when in Yorkshire..........

Thus far no regrets - we shall see long term - was great today driving between Norfolk and Yorkshire. Was stuck behind a huge static caravan being trailered somewhere - overtaking was easy as engine pulled really well from 1500rpm all the way through to beyond 6000rpm. Couldn't do that in my 1.9 pd . Journey economy was over 50mpg (47.5mpg tank to tank including poddling around Norfolk)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I was likewise torn between the 2.0 CR Diesel and the 1.4tsi Petrol ( I didn't like the 1.6 CR diesel in the Superb - seemed a lot less responsive that my previous 1.9pd)

Obviously the DPF was a consideration but to be honest the implementation on the 2.0CR engines much better that 2.0pd versions

The thing that swayed me we in the end was leaving nearly £5k in my bank account (used petrol was incredibly discounted) - when in Yorkshire..........

Thus far no regrets - we shall see long term - was great today driving between Norfolk and Yorkshire. Was stuck behind a huge static caravan being trailered somewhere - overtaking was easy as engine pulled really well from 1500rpm all the way through to beyond 6000rpm. Couldn't do that in my 1.9 pd . Journey economy was over 50mpg (47.5mpg tank to tank including poddling around Norfolk)

yeap, not an easy choice but when big amount of money stays in your pocket then it's easier to choose. Petrol is very good and still I can't say 100% petrol or diesel. I was stubborn to have more engine volume, last cars it was less and less, I just decided to have more, though I understand the lless volume is comopensated by turbo.

Be safe and healthy and drive it many miles.

For the author. Really if you do less miles per day and you are not very aggressive deiver 1.4TsI is a smart choice.

Edited by fallenfbsd
  • Like 1

For the author. Really if you do less miles per day and you are not very aggressive deiver 1.4TsI is a smart choice.

Not sure I understand. The 1.4 TSI is has better acceleration AND topspeed than the 2.0 TDI 150.

In Denmark the taxation is different - here the TSI is cheaper up to 40000ish km.

Edit: the 1.4 TSI is only 0.1sec slower to 100 than the vRS diesel, but obv has lower top speed.

Edited by jthyssen
  • Like 1

Not sure I understand. The 1.4 TSI is has better acceleration AND topspeed than the 2.0 TDI 150.

In Denmark the taxation is different - here the TSI is cheaper up to 40000ish km.

Edit: the 1.4 TSI is only 0.1sec slower to 100 than the vRS diesel, but obv has lower top speed.

For me it's not only the figures 0-100..It's about the overall feeling. Loaded, non loaded, aircon off/on 2.0TDI pulls as a bear when needed. I just feel more secure in overtaking, personal feeling. Even the engine noise - I prefer hearing the machine, feeling it, even this costs me little bit of my comfort. At idle the engine btw is not recognizable as diesel, I had drive only petrols before.

As for the money, everybody decides by his own, I have no smart thing to say about it.

I personally felt 1.8TSI L&K was the best blend of performance, handling, driver feel for me. It's punchy, has independent rear suspension,etc. But my choise was 1.4/2.0 against waiting mo ths (I can't wait :) ). Again personal perception. I'm not the type 'mine is the best'.

If one is not sure should take into account the forum topic but I strongly recommend asking for longer test drives of both before final decision.

Good luck and once chosen search no more pros and cons, just drive ;)

• Like 1