Best portable bluetooth speaker?

mattievrs

I've got a TDK TW212 which we got a couple of years ago and thoroughly recommend it, despite its low price the sound is pretty good unless you're a bass junkie.

Amazon have it available at the moment https://www.amazon.co.uk/TDK-Universal-Bluetooth-Wireless-Speaker/dp/B00A8E71YG

Works great with all the iPhones I've had (5, 6+ & 7+).

• Like 1

Seems it's a bit of a ball Ache! Looking a various speakers and it seems it's all airplay/wifi/network! Plenty of Bluetooth ones aswell but the costlier, better rated ones are from the likes of sonos which doesn't do bt. They need to be used through iTunes and all I really want is to stream from my iPad and iphone.

So went down to currys and had a mess around with them all. Decided that wifi etc isn't something that I need as it'll be wasted. Bluetooth was the way I definately wanted to go and certainly don't need to connect to computers or multi room etc. I ended up set on the Bose mini 2 which has everything I need, a long battery life, sound is amazing for its size with nice treble and bass tones and looks lovely.

So bought it off John Lewis as I work for them and get discount. Delivered to work tomorrow........ so I'll pop a review up after I've played with it a bit.

http://www.johnlewis.com/bose-soundlink-mini-ii-bluetooth-portable-speaker-with-built-in-speakerphone-black-copper-limited-edition/p3063191

• 2 weeks later...

So, yeah the Bose soundlink mini was the one I went with. Ended up with the copper/black LE one and it's well worth the cash. Looks like a high end speaker and the sound is bang on. Not too much bass out the box but more than enough to cope with any music I've put through it. Volume goes from acceptable to ear splitting if you like, and is very easy to pair with your phone or iPad etc. Battery life is also very good so far, I've used it for around 20 hours so far and still says they're 60% life in it.

So big thumbs up for the Bose from me aswell!

I also bought one of those Bluetooth adaptors that plugs into the back of my stereo amp so I can play directly from my phone as well when I want a bit more umph :) Best twenty quid i've spent :)

So, yeah the Bose soundlink mini was the one I went with. Ended up with the copper/black LE one and it's well worth the cash. Looks like a high end speaker and the sound is bang on. Not too much bass out the box but more than enough to cope with any music I've put through it. Volume goes from acceptable to ear splitting if you like, and is very easy to pair with your phone or iPad etc. Battery life is also very good so far, I've used it for around 20 hours so far and still says they're 60% life in it.

So big thumbs up for the Bose from me aswell!

I've been looking at these for a while everytime I've gone into Costco. I think after reading this I'll be getting one soon.

If your budget is around the £100 mark (I couldn't stretch to the Bose) try this. I've been really pleased with it:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-docks,-speakers-and-portables/cambridge-audio/go/camb-go-blk

we have one of them , always flat out in our youngest's room , got a Sony one as well and last week got a Libratone zipp mini which is great...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, spent yesterday listening to various speakers. I went with the intention of a portable Bluetooth speaker but then got side tracked onto network music systems Bose Soundtouch and Sonos then I made the mistake of listening to a Naim Mu-So QB. Unbelievable that it can make other quality speakers sound dull in comparison. Even my wife who often acts as the fun police in such circumstances could clearly hear the difference and was amazed at the level of detail from such a small speaker. Other customers came to listen and were surprised that it was just streamed from my phone. The sales assistant then delivered the killer blow and demonstrated it with tracks from the network drive in FLAC format. We listened to some Nina Simone tracks that I have heard many times on my own separates system but now found a new clarity and seperation to the music.

I managed to resist handing over my bank card in exchange for one these magical music boxes, others didn't and the sales assistant had a bumper day selling the couple they had stock and ordering a few more. It still took me another half hour to stop listening to it before eventually going home to do more research to find some flaw to justify not buying one, which I couldn't nor could I find them any cheaper :( I woke this morning to an email with a 10% off code from another supplier and all will power dissolved I now have a Christmas (and birthday) present.

Now down to £40 just in case anyone's interested.

Gaz

Oh dear, spent yesterday listening to various speakers. I went with the intention of a portable Bluetooth speaker but then got side tracked onto network music systems Bose Soundtouch and Sonos then I made the mistake of listening to a Naim Mu-So QB. Unbelievable that it can make other quality speakers sound dull in comparison. Even my wife who often acts as the fun police in such circumstances could clearly hear the difference and was amazed at the level of detail from such a small speaker. Other customers came to listen and were surprised that it was just streamed from my phone. The sales assistant then delivered the killer blow and demonstrated it with tracks from the network drive in FLAC format. We listened to some Nina Simone tracks that I have heard many times on my own separates system but now found a new clarity and seperation to the music.

I managed to resist handing over my bank card in exchange for one these magical music boxes, others didn't and the sales assistant had a bumper day selling the couple they had stock and ordering a few more. It still took me another half hour to stop listening to it before eventually going home to do more research to find some flaw to justify not buying one, which I couldn't nor could I find them any cheaper :( I woke this morning to an email with a 10% off code from another supplier and all will power dissolved I now have a Christmas (and birthday) present.

Was it Currys by any chance, and cost you £805??

I have Bose Soundlink 2 - connect MAC / Samsung Pad & Nexus phone to play music through - IMHO - Brilliant.

The 3 is supposed to be an improvement but having listened to one , I personally cannot tell the difference.

I bought a different brand to go in my MX5, and you get what you pay for.

I also bought one of those Bluetooth adaptors that plugs into the back of my stereo amp so I can play directly from my phone as well when I want a bit more umph :) Best twenty quid i've spent :)

I had something like that on my previous amp and the sound quality wasn't that good,probabaly because it was when they 1st came out ;)  

I now have a proper BT amp that i can also plug my turntable into as well to play the good old fashoned Vinyl :) 

You want to try the Anker A3143 Premium Bluetooth Speaker;

https://www.anker.com/products/A3143011

There's absolutely nothing to touch it in it's price bracket. 20W RMS output. Real punchy bass, and decent mid & High's. 

Currently at £43.99 on Amazon, but occassional goes on special at £35.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Wireless-Bluetooth-Radiators-Subwoofers/dp/B0109TWZ54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481899243&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+premium

It's a better performer than the Bose Soundlink Mini.  Just read the reviews on Amazon.  And also well reviewed on Youtube;