Superb First Service - Nothing done

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted or asked before but my Skoda Superb ( 65 plate ) has just gone in for it first service, and I was told that as as I am on a variable service plan, all they did was clear the Oil Service message and clean my car. Is this correct?

I pay £22.79 a month, so for £273 all I have has is the Oil Service Message cleared and my car cleaned.  

Has anyone else had this done to them?  Seems like I am paying money out a month for nothing in return.

Many thanks in advance for any help or comments on this

Many Thanks

I have done 10,000 miles, so if not needed that is understandable, just seems a bit weird to pay out for something that is not needed.

Looking at the link online, in the first year it covers a Maximum of an Oil Service and Inspection, which I now read as we could do this but probably won't.

I was just a little shocked that nothing was done

Ta 

Possibly even 'Miss-sold',

and  we know about miss selling,  so unless on Fixed Servicing and getting the Fixed Services from the Service Plan question the place that sold you the plan and the employee of them that sold it.

PS

Part of what you pay is VAT. 20% VAT in the UK,  people should really not collect VAT for something they never paid VAT on, 

& when Parts are not fitted but VAT is collected there is theft / fraud from HMRC / UK Treasury and the Customer being defrauded.

Edited by Offski

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been posted or asked before but my Skoda Superb ( 65 plate ) has just gone in for it first service, and I was told that as as I am on a variable service plan, all they did was clear the Oil Service message and clean my car. Is this correct?

I pay £22.79 a month, so for £273 all I have has is the Oil Service Message cleared and my car cleaned.  

Has anyone else had this done to them?  Seems like I am paying money out a month for nothing in return.

Many thanks in advance for any help or comments on this

If as you say you are on variable servicing then the car should be set to flag for a service at anywhere up to 20,000 miles or 2 years, the car decides for itself but most people don't get too close to either of these intervals.

Fixed servicing is 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first.

If your car has asked for an oil service at 10,000 miles then this is what it should have had. Simply clearing the light is unacceptable.

By doing so the garage has either reset it as another fixed interval to flag for another service in 10,000 miles (which means you car will be covering 20K on the original oil - not good) or they've now corrected the service interval to variable which means you could be getting close to 30,000 miles on the original oil.

What did you sign when you agreed to the service plan, what does the paperwork say?

£273 is expensive, an oil change (minor / fixed service) is £149 and a major / variable service is £269, so what exactly are you supposed to get each year for your £273 outlay?

Either way your dealer is in the wrong. Get on the phone and ask why the oil wasn't changed.

You are correct, I have found the paper work and I am on a fixed 10,000mile/1 year service plan. Trying to get hold of the service manager at Skoda to discuss.  Unfortunately always seems to be something with Skoda, firstly no read window wiper, no this, I just don't understand how they can this wrong.  Does make me wonder if worth keeping the car, considering the ball ache every year I have to deal with them, not a happy boy

You are correct, I have found the paper work and I am on a fixed 10,000mile/1 year service plan. Trying to get hold of the service manager at Skoda to discuss.  Unfortunately always seems to be something with Skoda, firstly no read window wiper, no this, I just don't understand how they can this wrong.  Does make me wonder if worth keeping the car, considering the ball ache every year I have to deal with them, not a happy boy

Seems to me, either you shouldn't have been sold a fixed interval service plan, and the fixed vs variable is quite clear depending on if you do motorway driving or town driving, (there is about 4 parameters and I think they are listed in brochure or service handbook), or you should be getting what you pay for.  If they have breached what the paperwork said you will get, demand a full refund of plan (then pay for an oil change).

There is a general view that service plans are overpriced and best avoided (as part of the money funds a big kickback to the seller), as they tend to cover absolute minimum required and cost more than a normal service which is often fixed price.

Hi Dean, at £22.79 per month I assume that you are either on "Service and Maintenance" or "Service, Maintenance AND Tyres" - do you know which plan it is?

My MY16 (65 plate) Octavia is on Service only plan - which costs me £12.16 per month. I do less than 6K a year, car is on fixed servicing (12 months / 10,000 miles) and the oil was changed on its first service.

Warrior193. 

I agree that the Skoda service plan is not a great deal. I've just come from a Mondeo and had a Ford service plan for years. That gave a substantial reduction on the normal service plan, 10% off any parts including tyres etc., full European breakdown cover and priority booking. In all a great deal. The local main dealer was also excellent. Trouble is the latest Mondeo can't match the Superb III I've just bought. My wife's had a Fabia since they first came out so I can compare service between the dealers and, much to my surprise, up to press Ford comes out on top. I think Skoda needs to up their game with the service plan as they've got great cars but are slipping behind on the ownership experience.

I think Skoda needs to up their game with the service plan as they've got great cars but are slipping behind on the ownership experience.

Škoda can't! they are limited by VAG hierarchy :(

Hi everyone and thanks for all your responses so far,

I am on a Service and Maintenance plan, and they have put me on a flexible service schedule, which means a service every 20,000 miles or 24 months, which is not something I would have taken up if I had known. I would always want my car serviced every year, hence why I took out this plan, as this was how it was sold. This was apparently done, as when I purchased the car I estimated I would be doing over 10,000 miles a year, but this was obviously not the case as the service light came on after a year at only 9.500 miles undertaken and this could fall further with a change in circumstances.

I have been in contact with the dealer and service manager, who have now told me that I need to take it up with Volkswagen Finance, who I have just emailed, as they control all this.

Whilst the service manager has been helpful, I just cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel, I cannot understand why I cannot have a service done, when this is something I thought I was spreading the cost to pay for.

Thank you all for your help and guidance on this matter

IME, running fixed service, the "service warning" comes up at 1_000 miles or 1 month before the next service is due (whichever is sooner).

As did mine for the first service. The service manager hummed and ha-ad a little, as he thought I was bringing it in a bit early, but all was OK when he checked the schedule.  

Warrior193.

I will be having words with my dealer also at the end of the month, the car has been delivered as Variable Service despite being ordered as Fixed.  It has called for a service at 9200 miles roughly due to the driving I do, which from reading the brochure is correct for variable servicing.

"Fixed regime: Service every 10,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first). This is recommended if the vehicle is likely to be used in the following way:

> Driven fewer than 10,000 miles per annum and/or

> Mainly short journeys, drive mostly in towns or cities and/or

> High vehicle loading/towing and frequent hill climbs and/or

> Heavy accelerating and braking, using high revs

Flexible regime: Sensors in the engine detect when a service is needed. You will be informed of this by a service light which will show at any point between 9,000 and 20,000 miles, up to 24 months (whichever comes first).

The flexible service regime is recommended for vehicles with a daily mileage of more than 25 miles where the vehicle is driven regularly and mainly at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, minimal towing and driven in an economical manner. The vehicle service regime does affect the entitlement service plan** if you choose to purchase this.  

** = The entitlement plan includes one oil service and one oil and inspection service. Monthly payments are spread over 18 months. All cars must be set to time and distance servicing."

My commute is 10 miles each way per day and whilst I will do about 12,000-13,000 a year it still should be set at fixed due to the types of roads etc on my commute to work.

When I booked mine in the service team were adamant that all cars should be on variable regardless but when talking with the sales guy I used he says they will get it sorted and yes the car was ordered with a fixed service plan and therefore should be on fixed service regime by default but also I should have fixed servicing because a) it is what I requested and B) my commute usage favours this which I guess is evidenced by the fact that the car is calling for a service at near its lowest point.  He will be having words with the service department when I go in.

It is extremely disappointing to hear that both Dean and Pentaxian are having problems with their service plans, I hope that Skoda get this sorted, like yesterday! Completely unacceptable.

Time to start naming and shaming perhaps.

Warrior193.    

• Like 1

I just had my oil filter changed at 7k miles. Mine is on variable even though I asked for it to be set on fixed. I don't do the mileage or motorway driving to warrant the variable servicing so will have my car serviced at 10-11k miles regardless.

I asked for the oil filter to be returned to me after the change and I was shocked at its size. It was smaller than the 330ml Coke tin and looked shoddy already at 7k miles.

post-99061-0-20505500-1481339566_thumb.jpg

Had to use my laptop to upload a pic of it. You see how small it is. IMHO it seriously isn't up to tackling up to 18k miles, so I'll be changing mine more regularly than the dealer / manufacturer suggests. I'm an experienced mechanical engineer and this is only my humble opinion.

Edited by blahde2
  • Like 1

It is extremely disappointing to hear that both Dean and Pentaxian are having problems with their service plans, I hope that Skoda get this sorted, like yesterday! Completely unacceptable.

Time to start naming and shaming perhaps.

Warrior193.    

Think mine was a case of it being overlooked on the PDI, for some reason the service plan (all paid in advance when car was ordered) was not showing on the system despite being on the order for the car.  Dealer is ok about it as it is being serviced at the same dealer it was purchased from, the service team always seem a little stand-offish almost to the point of rude at times with the attitude of "we know best".

Glad to hear that you got your issue sorted quickly Pentax, I do have to agree with your opinion of the attitude of some service staff - I guess that the default setting for service managers is to assume that the customers technical knowledge is zero - and sometimes attempt to make the problem go away by liberally applying BS. I was so disappointed with the service I originally received from my supplier that I took my car elsewhere for its first service.

Warrior193. 

Well, having now gone to Volkswagen Finance services, they have firstly said:

• Your Fixed Cost Maintenance agreement covers your Skoda Superb for any Servicing or Maintenance that may be due in line with fair wear and tear.
  • As the agreement covers you for Servicing and Maintenance the agreement also provided roadside cover provided via the AA.

To which I asked, once again:

• Thank you for your response below, but, is it not possible for me to be moved to a fixed service plan from flexible?  My service indicator did appear on my car, I have done less than 10,000miles for the year, not the 12,000 as estimated in August 2015.  I cannot understand why, if the car is stating that a service is needed that it cannot have the service undertaken under the plan I am paying for,
  • I hope that this is something that can be changed.

And they have now responded with:

• Thank you for your email.
  • We are unable to make any amendments to servicing schedule as the monthly payments are determined based on this.
  • To discuss this further we would encourage you visit Skoda where the plan was purchased.

I have now gone back to them

I get the feeling I may never get my car serviced.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else???  It is starting to make me ill, if I could give the car back now I would