Why Oh Why

2 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

So there is an advantage!

In your eyes, but not for others of us - reading on the Ross-Tech forum it's surprising how many owners with EPB have problems after having the rear pads replaced as the procedure is quite tricky and needs to be followed exactly. IMHO that's an unnecessary complexity.

But hey we're all entitled to our different opinions.

2 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

In your eyes, but not for others of us - reading on the Ross-Tech forum it's surprising how many owners with EPB have problems after having the rear pads replaced as the procedure is quite tricky and needs to be followed exactly. IMHO that's an unnecessary complexity.

But hey we're all entitled to our different opinions.

Same for anything electrical & mechanical, don't do exactly as stated you have problems.....

Or how about the loads of MK2 & MK3 Octavia owners who don't put car in gear & rely on the manual handbrake only & it fails & their car ends up rolling down the drive into someone elses car etc...

Far more problems with manual handbrakes failing, or the cables snapping, or bad adjustment etc..etc....

I've been working on mine & friends VAG cars for over 22years so I think I know the problems with either system!

8 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Or how about the loads of MK2 & MK3 Octavia owners who don't put car in gear & rely on the manual handbrake only & it fails & their car ends up rolling down the drive into someone elses car etc...

That can also happen with EPB, as the root cause is the same of the rear disc shrinking as it cools after use - and is why I always leave a car in gear when parked (something you can't do with DSG or automated manual or Sprintshift or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it).

I also have a background in the industry, I spent several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy - so I've seen design related problems with vehicles from manufacturers around the world.

8 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

something you can't do with DSG 

No, but you leave them in 'P' - even better - it locks the transmission :biggrin:

Wouldnt be the first time I have seen a machine gently chugging down a hill because it had been left in 3rd (not 1st or reverse)

I'm with you on the handbrake thing though. Seen quite a few where the car decided not to turn the handbrake off, quite embarrassing in the wrong place

Then there are handbrake turns :devil:

21 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

That can also happen with EPB, as the root cause is the same of the rear disc shrinking as it cools after use - and is why I always leave a car in gear when parked (something you can't do with DSG or automated manual or Sprintshift or whatever the manufacturer wants to call it).

Errr???........DSG has "P" for PARK which engages a locking pin in the DSG gearbox

I also have a background in the industry, I spent several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy - so I've seen design related problems with vehicles from manufacturers around the world.

Then why make out the EPB is worse overall than manual in your post relating to Ross tech etc.

as for EPB problems with disk shrinkage you should know (several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy) that the clamping force of the electric motors of the EPB in Park are far greater than a  manual handbrake applied by a person.......therefore the problem is less with EPB

I suggest you read this post on Briskoda in the MK3 Octavia section for what a DSG in Park does & the problems with mk3 manual handbrakes..

Post here

2 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Errr???........DSG has "P" for PARK which engages a locking pin in the DSG gearbox

Then why make out the EPB is worse overall than manual in your post relating to Ross tech etc.

as for EPB problems with disk shrinkage you should know (several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy) that the clamping force of the electric motors of the EPB in Park are far greater than a  manual handbrake applied by a person.......therefore the problem is less with EPB

I suggest you read this post on Briskoda in the MK3 Octavia section for what a DSG in Park does & the problems with mk3 manual handbrakes..

Post here

I can see your mind is made up and so is mine - so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Edited by PetrolDave

15 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

I can see your mind is made up and so is mine - so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Or blindly ignore facts......that a EPB does not have the same problems as a manual handbrake & that DSG can be locked in gear like a manual gearbox.........

Maybe you should have spent some time as an Indian instead of a Chief in the ""several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy""

2 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Or blindly ignore facts......that a EPB does not have the same problems as a manual handbrake & that DSG can be locked in gear like a manual gearbox.........

Maybe you should have spent some time as an Indian instead of a Chief in the ""several years as a senior manager at an automotive consultancy""

Now that was uncalled for. I'm sorry you have that attitude.

10 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Now that was uncalled for. I'm sorry you have that attitude.

spouting incorrect info on a EPB & DSG is ok then & when I put up correct facts you state "I can see your mind is made up"....

Sorry the idea of a thread is to put out correct facts, you took umbrage to me correcting you.

Edited by fabdavrav