Spare Wheel or Not?

Expatman

I have also always been a believer that I MUST have a spare wheel, didn't feel complete without one. BUT (like you) it's been ages since I had to use a spare by the side of the road so in all reason you have to ask yourself why you are carrying a space consuming, heavy, spare wheel when you are:- 

1. Statistically highly unlikely to need it.

2. Generally in easy mobile phone contact with a breakdown service. 

3. Unlikely to be as foolish as to risk your life scrabbling around to change a wheel yourself by the roadside in any weather and at any time of the day.

So basically we are carrying a spare wheel as a comfort blanket - and isn't it time we left those childish things behind us?

I'm afraid I have to disagree on the second and third counts Expatman - count two - no cell phone coverage, hiked to the next house down the road - breakdown service indefinitely delayed (could not give response time) so hitchhiked home (+80 miles) and collected transporter trailer ; count three, I am pretty determined, press-on type when it comes down to roadside problems -  but exercise careful lookout, and I have usually been able to get the vehicle far enough off the road to give a bit of a buffer - most of the really crap drivers are out in lane three anyway :D     

I disagree with the first point also - on the UK's broken & potholed roads.

I managed to destroy the NSF tyre of my brand new Yeti on the 3rd day of ownership courtesy of a pothole on the road out of my village.

I'm afraid I have to disagree on the second and third counts Expatman - count two - no cell phone coverage, hiked to the next house down the road - breakdown service indefinitely delayed (could not give response time) so hitchhiked home (+80 miles) and collected transporter trailer ; count three, I am pretty determined, press-on type when it comes down to roadside problems -  but exercise careful lookout, and I have usually been able to get the vehicle far enough off the road to give a bit of a buffer - most of the really crap drivers are out in lane three anyway :D     

I disagree with the first point also - on the UK's broken & potholed roads.

I managed to destroy the NSF tyre of my brand new Yeti on the 3rd day of ownership courtesy of a pothole on the road out of my village.

Well, Warrior did say that it was ages since he had to change a wheel by the roadside and statistically it is highly unlikely to happen - yes it can, as you found out, but it is unlikely. Mobile phone coverage is not perfect yet but "generally" coverage is good and improving (apologies to those who live in dead spots but they are few). As regards being a press on type who likes to solve roadside problems yourself, that's your choice but personally I really don't want to scrabble around in the wet/dark/danger spot to change a wheel when I can phone for an AA breakdown truck. Okay I might have to wait a bit but I can deal with that and being retired there are few destinations which are disastrously time dependent.

It's a personal choice I am just saying that in my 50+ years of motoring I have been humping a spare wheel around for little benefit so finally decided I would rather have the additional boot space.On a Yeti don't forget you increase boot space by over 30% by doing without the spare. 30% is over 100 litres extra space and that is a lot.

I can see both sides of the argument for carrying a spare wheel and don't wish to cause any discord but in my part of the country mobile coverage seems more likely to be non existent than good, with lots of patchy maybe, maybe not areas thrown in. So, as I am rarely in the situation where I need more luggage space, I have a spare fitted and like the "safety net" type feel it gives.

• Like 1

I can see both sides of the argument for carrying a spare wheel and don't wish to cause any discord but in my part of the country mobile coverage seems more likely to be non existent than good, with lots of patchy maybe, maybe not areas thrown in. So, as I am rarely in the situation where I need more luggage space, I have a spare fitted and like the "safety net" type feel it gives.

Fair enough and it's nice to know that Skoda offer a spare wheel at a reasonable price. Spare wheels are not even an option on many new cars.

The last roadside problem I had (says he firmly touching wood table) was a blown fuel injection feed line while towing a boat back from Bristol - rather than leave the whole rig to blow up on the side of the road, had doubled Zetkas out, fixed it and was back on my way - almost certainly before a response call could have even set off. Thereby removing the hazard sooner.     

To clear the confusion - the reflective warning triangles were called Zetkas back in my motorsport competitive days - doubling them up, indicates an extra hazard.  

To clear the confusion - the reflective warning triangles were called Zetkas back in my motorsport competitive days - doubling them up, indicates an extra hazard.  

Ah!  Thanks for that.  Now we know. 

I've never heard that one before.  Have you, Graham?  Speedsport? 

You learn something new every day!

I've been involved in rallying, national and international, for 40+ years and never heard of them called that. We just called them "triangles".

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

I have mixed views about a spare these days. True that the gunk and pump isn't always up to the job (indeed, you can often over inflate the tyre, leave the screw in and get to a tyre shop easier). However it does stop you being stranded by a major blowout if you have a space saver.

However, with modern torque steeing, alloy wheels 'welded' to hubs, flimsy jacks and 'chocolate' wheel braces getting the wheel off can prove impossible by the roadside without a rubber mallet, decent jack and breaker bar. As someone who prides himself in being quite 'handy' with tools I was shamed to have to call out a breakdown service to change the wheel on my old Volvo V50 and suspect many of us would be surprised how pointless the in car tools are for the purpose.

The best purchase a motorist can make is an extendable wheel wrench ( complete with a selection of sockets ) from somewhere like Halfords - other suppliers are available! Gets wheel bolts off easily. You should also have a torque wrench for putting them back on.

• Like 1

The best purchase a motorist can make is an extendable wheel wrench ( complete with a selection of sockets ) from somewhere like Halfords - other suppliers are available! Gets wheel bolts off easily. You should also have a torque wrench for putting them back on.

Isn't that the chauffeurs job?

Is there are Christmas spirit in the Corner?

• Like 2

The reason I don't have a spare is mainly because there's only one place I'd ever be tempted to do it and that's the motorway because the family can't stay in the car while waiting for a breakdown. But that's incredibly dangerous, I'd rather stay on the verge with the family and wait for recovery, or very quickly try foam. But it's personal preference.

You learn something new every day!

I've been involved in rallying, national and international, for 40+ years and never heard of them called that. We just called them "triangles".

That one got me too Graham.....  I've only ever heard them referred to as triangles!

I too have a spare wheel because of my forays into the back of beyond  with motorsport (and I don't necessarily mean off road). Having a spare on board is damned good insurance that I hope I won't ever need to use. For example I make at least 2 trips annually to the Isle of Mull where a puncture that requires a new tyre would mean a minimum 2 day wait for a replacement from the mainland.

The downside is the amount of space the spare takes up in an already "compact" Yeti boot. That extra bit of space would be very handy, but it's amazing how much can be stashed away around the spare wheel and in the underfloor boxes. And, without  a spare & those boxes, where does the detachable tow bar get stored, does it just slide around in the boot??!

Edited by speedsport

....Is there are Christmas spirit in the Corner?

It'll get quite crowded there in a while, I'm sure.  I'll get a round in later (it's the Winter Silly Season, after all) but perhaps you'd raise a glass to Bob in the meantime, would you :beer: ?