Emissions fix 170

Pouclee

Skoda told me mine, the 1.6 would be the last to be done so I'd have thought yours would be ready, have you not received the letters?
They do try to time it for when it goes in for a service.

I've heard nothing regards my 170, and the next service is not due for about 19,000 miles/2 years.

I would like to know though as I'm considering a remap, and I'm in wondering if I should get the fix done first or decline it so that Skoda can return the car to stock if/when I sell it.

I've heard nothing regards my 170.

If you've not heard I suspect it's not affected, have you input it's details into the checker on the Skoda website?

If you've not heard I suspect it's not affected, have you input it's details into the checker on the Skoda website?

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I've heard that it needs doing and received the follow up letter saying pretty much the same, but I've not heard that a fix is available and can be applied.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I've heard that it needs doing and received the follow up letter saying pretty much the same, but I've not heard that a fix is available and can be applied.

Yes, it is available. My local service centre was quite cross I declined it for the time being.

Was offered 'the fix' when I took mine in for fog light bulb. They looked a bit shocked when I declined and asked for evidence that I had declined. If it ain't bust there's nowt to fix. If I ever trade in, it can be done then. I may remap in the near future and don't want that affected.

As well as the reason Offski gives i.e. missing out on the payment who knows what bullsh*t they have been fed by VWG?

Service personnel will just assume that customers don't know anything, which in most cases is true, and will just go along with what they are told.

They will be saying what they are told to say by VWG and the dealer management.

They will be taken aback if anyone refuses the fix!

Edited by VAGCF

Thanks for the replies, I have every intention of refusing the 'fix' until VAG group publish some data with regard to MPG, BHP, DPF refine etc. Although I'd had a letter advising that my vehicle was subject to the recall I've had no further correspondence say it was available.

... they are under a great deal of pressure from VW AG to carry out the fix on as many cars as possible.

I'm sure you're right, James, but VAG aren't helping themselves, the dealers or anyone else by being - umm - less than transparent about the problem, the claimed solution(s) and probable/possible unwanted consequences. 

I'm sure you're right, James, but VAG aren't helping themselves, the dealers or anyone else by being - umm - less than transparent about the problem, the claimed solution(s) and probable/possible unwanted consequences.

I'm well aware of that fact. Dealers are provided with no more information about this campaign than the general public so when I customer starts tearing shreads out of a repairer for having no information on what's about to happen to their car it's on the manufacturer for not providing it and not the dealer for not knowing.

If customers are refusing the " Fix " could it affect any Warranty claims in the future,

Sorry Mr Smith,  "" Your claim as been rejected as you refused to have the fix done, having the fix done, this claim wouldn't have happened ""

Anything to avoid a payment

Just a thought.....

If customers are refusing the " Fix " could it affect any Warranty claims in the future,

Sorry Mr Smith, "" Your claim as been rejected as you refused to have the fix done, having the fix done, this claim wouldn't have happened ""

Anything to avoid a payment

Just a thought.....[/quot

I'd think that they would have a hard time refusing a warranty claim as the fix isn't for something being wrong with the vehicle i.e. mechanical or electrical but just something to correct their wrong doing.

Where they could be awkward and probably will be is in the area of so called goodwill payments if the fix hasn't been done.

If VWG (and they probably will to reduce costs) start becoming awkward over warranty claims and refusing goodwill gestures (for their bad design/materials!) then rather than rebuild their reputation they will worsen it even more.

It's certainly something I'm going to think about when my Yeti is 3 years old and the warranty is up. Yes I could get an extended warranty but why should I? Fair enough for unexpected problems but not to protect myself from defective design etc.

Ironically what set me on the long road of VW/Audi/Skoda ownership was when I had a VW Vento tdi which I bought second-hand. It was a very good car but it started losing power. Booked it in and a sensor of some kind was diagnosed which was quite expensive to replace.

When picking the car up I expected to pay but the dealer said that due to the car's age and mileage VW were picking up the bill. Brilliant and because of this and VW making cars that I wanted I stuck with them and whilst I had very few problems they were dealt with no problem.

Edited by VAGCF

Dealerships are not doing the fix at a loss, and are getting work they otherwise would not have. They are also getting more upselling opertunities. As to 3 monkeys and we know nothing, that is down to dealership groups and management and a vw strategy

. Any warranty issues or change of terms and conditions is why the UK government need to protect customers and stop the vw group from pleasing their selves.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Dealerships are not doing the fix at a loss, and are getting work they otherwise would not have. They are also getting more upselling opertunities. As to 3 monkeys and we know nothing, that is down to dealership groups and management and a vw strategy

. Any warranty issues or change of terms and conditions is why the UK government need to protect customers and stop the vw group from pleasing their selves.

I agree - if I still had an affected car, reduced performance aside, I would be more concerned about the consequences of 'the fix' on 'consumable' components such as the DPF that subsequently won't be covered by a warranty. VAG continues to be unwilling to provide specific answers to reasonable relevant questions being asked by owners and on this basis they can't be surprised that more inquisitive or tech savvy owners simply don't trust them. It all comes back to the basic point that if the fix wasn't going to make the car 'worse' in some way why why didn't they do it right in the first place if it's just a change to the ECU map. They then rub salt in the wound by giving American customers a substantial cash payment by way of compensation.
  • Like 1

Offski and everybody else who has done the right thing.

I've had Skoda (Cs) and Skoda (Aus) advise me that I  do not have to have my Snowman inspected.

Letter  early 2016 says I don't need to have update, recent 12/16  V.W. Aus says my TBM is one of the infected vehicles,

and in the same letter referred me to a Web site, entered TBM , guess what "not infected".

Booked in 17/1/17 will advise after Hols,  until End Jan '17 Holidays.

So we are damned if we do/don't or at 65 , I've commended to accept "bullsh"" baffles brains,  be it Corporate of Political.

Don't know but  my snowman does the job I bought it do, and has been reliable, Neighbors and Friends comment how good it is.

Better note 2017 be a good year for everybody on this "Forum".

Edited by Gobmax

Although this doesn't affect me anymore as I recently replaced my diesel Yeti with a petrol one, I wonder if anyone has considered contacting VAG owners in USA? I only ask this as the "problem" was originally discovered there and their legal system is more aggressive than ours and I would have thought that owners would have asked all the questions raised here already.

Fred

• Like 2

I got the 'fix' letter today, coincidentally as I was  about to book my CR170 Yeti in for service and MOT. 

My chosen dealer (Rainworth) noted that I wished to decline the EA189 fix without comment, knowing that this is a remapped vehicle and promised to amend records so that I wasn't hassled with further 'reminders'

I'm happy with that - given that there is still considerable unease over this whole VAG fiasco, which has absolutely no effect on how my vehicle performs nor more importantly on NOx emissions in normal running.

• Like 2

I bought my 170 Yeti in early December before the fix as a prereg and Skoda would only replace the paperwork and car after the fix which was done a few weeks ago.

I had a bit of a fight with members of the Skoda UK emissions team over this policy and I had been expecting the fix towards the end of January and no date was confirmed when I paid the deposit. Whether my discussions made a difference, I'll never know but it was pushed through fairly quickly and I got the car before all the holiday travel.

Seems to be the same injection retardation as others from what they could tell me and there may be a slightly different mapping installed. Whilst this engine has had problems on the Tiguan once modified, I believe the Yeti has a different map and doesn't have the same issues of engine noise.

Taking the same roads as I did in my test drive, I didn't feel any difference in power or notice increased noise. I suspect there is a slightly reduced fuel economy though although it's hard to tell without running through a full tank before I got it.

As someone who works in the industry in automotive component design, I was reluctant to have the fix installed but I've been very happy with the performance following. The choice was the 170 with the fix or the newer 150 and I'm still inclined to think the former is better