World premiere of ŠKODA OCTAVIA & ŠKODA OCTAVIA vRS - Live Video 10/01/17 17:30 GMT - link in thread

Yep.

We have to wait and see what part numbers have changed on the rear suspension.

Was the wider rear axle only on Petrol vRS or on all the models?

From the videos, looks to be for all cars, but I am going to keep an eye out - they mentioned it specifically on the VRS, about a wider wheel base and I think also the suspension height (wild guessing it will come with Eibachs from factory...)

Might be just a different wheel offset? ET 50 to ET 35 as an example?

That has crossed my mind, but that would also affect the wheel design and from the videos/press shots, they look like the same old wheels.

...either way, they seem to have sorted one of my pet hates about the VRS and hoping you can retrofit to the pre-facelift ;)

That has crossed my mind, but that would also affect the wheel design and from the videos/press shots, they look like the same old wheels.

The problem is that for past press shots they have used all the old tricks,- wheel spacers, ratchet straps on the suspension, and just plain blatantly photoshopping the car to have the factory wheels look bigger/wider.

Until you see one on the forecourt I wouldn't hold my breath!

From the press release: "The upgraded ŠKODA OCTAVIA has grown a few millimetres in length, and the width of its rear track has increased by 20 or 30 mm (depending on engine and rear axle)."

In the case of the RS, that's a 30 mm rear track increase.

Edited by Salieri

Think the doubters will be surprised, it will grow on you and it will look better in the flesh.

They cant stand still, the styling of the current version is ageing, it needs to be enhanced.

The current version is 4 years old, so it is looking a bit bland, especially the non VRS models on small wheels, like mine...lol

I love cars and bikes and stuff, but what a boring launch video. And 2 minutes of an Octavia driving along a sunny road is quite enough.

Skoda - I still laugh at the Schoda pronunciation - will never take over the world with their "new" Skoda Connect.

It's just like every other 21st century car.

Long gone are the days of plugging performance, handling, economy, etc. It's all about how much more IT can we squeeze in and plug for the idiots who drive among us to play with and be even more distracted from actually driving the lethal monster they're in charge of.

It'll keep selling if it keeps providing spacious, reliable, reasonably economical transport for the less-badge-conscious car user - or taxi driver :-)

They moved the ACC radar, probably because the sensor in its old place would cover up easily during winter, me myself gets this problem often in Norway when it is snowing heavily.

Makes sense, makes the grill look weird though :P

Not quite as odd as I originally thought...until you see it with the DTRLs on. They're split in two, one's level, the other's down and boy does it look bizarre. LEDS give a visual signature to so many cars these days and this looks like a clumsy DiY kit found on eBay.

What the, er, facelift does disguise is that the car hasn't really changed much at all. Mostly the same engines & gearboxes, no changes to the suspension, all of which means the Octy experience is likely to be the same. Probably no bad thing (and I'm pretty happy with my 1.4 TSi SE DSG hatch), but Skoda will have to do something about the cheap back axle when the Mk III is finally pensioned off: the main reason I chose an SE over an Elegance was taller tyres to take the edge off a brittle ride.

I get the need to keep costs down and maintain degrees of separation between Skoda and VW etc., but a beam axle is really off the pace now.

Octys are incredibly good-value family workhorses which are handsome without being flamboyant. The facelift certainly doesn't make it any more handsome. Be careful, Skoda.

• Administrators

White plastic... that's almost as good as the white carpets in the mkI...

No it is growing on me, but only when I see dark shots. If it drives well I'd be happy to never think about it sat on my drive... nice problem to have :):):)

• Like 1

I love cars and bikes and stuff, but what a boring launch video. And 2 minutes of an Octavia driving along a sunny road is quite enough.

Skoda - I still laugh at the Schoda pronunciation - will never take over the world with their "new" Skoda Connect.

It's just like every other 21st century car.

Long gone are the days of plugging performance, handling, economy, etc. It's all about how much more IT can we squeeze in and plug for the idiots who drive among us to play with and be even more distracted from actually driving the lethal monster they're in charge of.

It'll keep selling if it keeps providing spacious, reliable, reasonably economical transport for the less-badge-conscious car user - or taxi driver :-)

In Czech it is pronounced as 'Schoda' that's what the sign above the S means.

Wonder how many are going to skip Skoda for some other brand now, if Superb is to expensive for them, after there leasing expires?

Edited by Croat

In Czech it is pronounced as 'Schoda' that's what the sign above the S means.

Š is pronounced almost like "ssshut" up

vRS.jpg

Had a little fiddle with MS Publisher  :giggle:

Would retrofit those new tail lights to my estate if they're reasonably priced :yes:

If this was the case, car would sell.

The car will sell. I've been on car forums for years and years. Every time a new model comes out, bet it brand new or facelift, it gets slated. Then shock horror a few months down the line everyone has one.

• Like 3

The car will sell. I've been on car forums for years and years. Every time a new model comes out, bet it brand new or facelift, it gets slated. Then shock horror a few months down the line everyone has one.

I wont be buying one. Front end really does look dire.

Why get another Octy when my current one looks better?

Yes I slated the new XF when it came out, as the interior wasnt that special, and yes I will admit it did grow on me (still poor compared to last interior though), but this fails to grow on me, and there is no way id splash out 20k plus, for another Octy, which looks worse. Just keep the current one and save myself 20k plus.

• Like 2