Winter Wheels/tyres removed today

My 230 is back on it's 19" Xtremes shod with Pirilli P Zeros. 225/35/19 pressures set to 2.7 bar/39Psi

What a difference it's made, feels more planted now she's back on summer rubber, the winter rubber with lager sidewalls 225/45/17 felt a bit skittish sometimes.

Insurance Company Informed of the change, all is good......................

• Like 1

need to do mine - prob do it this evening if the sun is still shining when i get in.  tbh the goodyear ultragrip8 winters are still working fine at these warm temperatures, they don't feel compromised at all (mine are 18"s though so i don't have quite the same fat sidewall ..)

btw - you need to change your sig ^

Edited by rob_e

Need to do mine too, but like rob, i'm going from 18" back to 18" and the nokians have been very impressive, so will be curious to see how much of a difference i do actually notice. But not expecting much

Normally change mine when the clocks go back/forwards unless there is a good reason not to (although not been knee deep in snow end of March many times to date)

Have to admit can't say I have any issue with the TS860's at the moment even at +15 and pushing on a bit they haven't budged at all, but they will still be coming off in a week or so.

• Like 1

Removed the winter wheels off the wifes car at the weekend which is always a good feeling. Unfortunately it looks like the winter tyres are at the end of their life as they are starting to get cracks in the tread which is a shame as they still have around 4-5mm of tread on them. Next tyres will probably be Michelin CrossClimate's which will be ideal for her as she does very little mileage now.

I actually prefer the ride of my winters (17" Nokian WR D3's with ATS Radials) to that of my summers (18" Conti SC5's with Gemini's). However the summers do of course grip better on dry roads. The Nokians are also noticeably quieter.

Pardon my ignorance but is this winter tyre/summer tyre changing necessary in the UK. Our extremes of weather are very short lived and some of the posters changing their wheels are in the South of the UK.

If different tyres were necessary wouldn't they be an optional extra?

I've driven Octavias for 11 years - never swapped tyres or had problems losing grip in ice or snow

12 minutes ago, YMe said:

Pardon my ignorance but is this winter tyre/summer tyre changing necessary in the UK. Our extremes of weather are very short lived and some of the posters changing their wheels are in the South of the UK.

I've driven Octavias for 11 years - never swapped tyres or had problems losing grip in ice or snow

Use the search function and add your tuppenth worth to the many 'I don't need winter tyres' threads :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CWARD said:

Removed the winter wheels off the wifes car at the weekend which is always a good feeling. Unfortunately it looks like the winter tyres are at the end of their life as they are starting to get cracks in the tread which is a shame as they still have around 4-5mm of tread on them. Next tyres will probably be Michelin CrossClimate's which will be ideal for her as she does very little mileage now.

4-5mm is when you should change winter tyres anyway, they are significantly less effective at 4mm of tread depth

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWARD said:

Next tyres will probably be Michelin CrossClimate's which will be ideal for her as she does very little mileage now.

Great choice - they're fab on our Yeti in mud and snow, but truly confidence inspiring in sleet, rain and falling snow when the temperature's just above freezing! They're also fun and progressive in the dry too. Can't fault them...

1 hour ago, YMe said:

Not 100% necessary, but if you have to get about every day or depend on getting around for work/live up in the hills etc. then they are essential.

Don't knock them until you try them. They are remarkable, you can almost drive normally in snow and stop instead of risking your own life and everyone elses on summer tyres.

However Michelin cross climates will probably suit a lot of people now, negating the need/expense of 2 sets of tyres.

Skoda offer all season tyres as a factory option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyvee said:

4-5mm is when you should change winter tyres anyway, they are significantly less effective at 4mm of tread depth

Agreed, you'd be as well to leave them on and get the use of them and start with a new set next winter.

• Like 2

I think, for my pottering around Hampshire and the 3 or 4 trips oop t'north with the caravan, I'll stick with what Skoda provided.

If it's snowing or icy I ain't going!

The train can take the strain especially with the 75% retired staff discount.:biggrin:

Perhaps not strictly necessary down here in the south - but It never hurts to be prepared, that's why a full-size spare wheel is available as an option too.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2017 at 13:45, Auric Goldfinger said:

the winter rubber with lager sidewalls 225/45/17 felt a bit skittish sometimes.

Not surprised if they are made out of lager :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Do you get Free Passes ?

Unfortunately not just 75% off for me and the wife on National Rail and some preserved railways, cross channel ferries, Isle of Wight ferry a cheap deal on Eurostar and free travel on London Tube, Bus and Overground network - also got my OAP bus pass in Hampshire too - hey! wait a minute - what the hell do I need a car for anyway?

6 hours ago, TheOctaviator said:

But wouldn't this make them probably the best sidewalls in the world?

Only when served at <7.5°C