April 2017: Speeding fines per your salary!!!

Chan110

It would be a Rev Limiter then that was working not a 'Speed Limiter'.

Most here drive and many also ride motor bikes or have so i think have the experience of speed and no speed, 

seems like some are trying to teach granny or granddad to suck eggs, or go round the bend!

On 24/03/2017 at 11:28, Wino said:

Only if you speed. :angel:

If you don't get caught are you speeding?

I used to be of the opinion that the less time spent on the road, the safer you were...........it was a self-serving one, of course.  )))

On 18/03/2017 at 16:17, V6TDI said:

Why don't cars have an option you can select that'd prevent them from exceeding the speed limit of the road you are on?

Gaz

Why do cars need such a device? Eyes and brains were built into the human element at birth :)

• Like 2

Speeding cases which end up in court have always been salary based, on your RWI (regular weekly income), the only thing which has changed in the sentencing guidelines is the introduction of band C for high speeders, which, as said, can range between 125% and 175% of RWI

Has the tolerance  for car speedometers, included in the Construction and Use Regs  been changed ? Used to be 10%.

I presume that legally, you can't be prosecuted for doing 33, 44, 55, 66 and 77   and that the current tolerance used by prosecuting authorities is 10% + 2 M.P.H.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

34 minutes ago, Clunkclick said:

Has the tolerance  for car speedometers, included in the Construction and Use Regs  been changed ? Used to be 10%.

I presume that legally, you can't be prosecuted for doing 33, 44, 55, 66 and 77   and that the current tolerance used by prosecuting authorities is 10% + 2 M.P.H.

Nick

Threshold for enforcement action by fixed penalty or speed awareness course, at the discretion of the police, is at 10% + 2, ie 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40, 57 in a 50, 68 in a 60, and 79 in a 70

We had someone in court recently who strangely pleaded 'not guilty' to speeding, yet accepted doing 46 in a 40 - he wanted to argue that the threshold was one over that figure

Oddly enough he was convicted

1 hour ago, Clunkclick said:

Nick

For nearly 20 years the C+U regulations have specified that a speedometer may not under-read at all.  It can over-read by a modest amount (5% + 5 kph - if my memory is correct).  The upshot of this is that your speedometer will almost always tell you that your speed is a little higher than it actually is, therefore there is no longer justification for any leeway at all.  In practice most authorities allow some leeway, but it does vary from one place to another.  There is effectively a zero tolerence policy in much of Wales, some parts of England are also heading in that direction.

By the way, a couple of years ago there was a guy in Finland who was caught at 74 kph in a 50 kph limit.  That cost him 86,000 Euros.  In Finland it is directly related to your income and there is no cap.  They do the same thing in Sweden, though they do have a cap at 3,000 Euros.

3 hours ago, keystonedriving said:

By the way, a couple of years ago there was a guy in Finland who was caught at 74 kph in a 50 kph limit.  That cost him 86,000 Euros.  In Finland it is directly related to your income and there is no cap.  They do the same thing in Sweden, though they do have a cap at 3,000 Euros.

I like that!

3 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Don't Lincs police use lower thresholds to the majority of forces? 

Not that I'm aware of, but at the end of the day the ACPO guidelines are just that, guidelines, how they are used is at the discretion of the force/officer concerned

In Australia there are 4 speeds 

indicated 

actual

detected

alleged

detected minus 2kph (radar error) is the alleged figure you are charged with ......an alleged 3 over the limit is pushing it.

in a 110 zone therefore with a speedo that indicates + 4 ,     116 is pretty safe.

On 3/26/2017 at 12:40, Brimma said:

Why do cars need such a device? Eyes and brains were built into the human element at birth :)

Okay, I confess, I have both. I'd still switch it on though if I had the option.

Gaz