Petrol leaks 280ps

Last August I posted as follows - "Anybody had fuel expansion issues in this rare hot weather? My 280 estate was at roadside for an hour in full sunlight.An hour later neighbour tells me fuel running on to road behind o/s rear wheel. Tank was less than half full. I eased pressure at filler cap and fuel gushed out."

On 25 March exactly same issue arose, but this time weather cool and car straight and level on my drive. One third tank of petrol, neighbour calls and tells me car is leaking petrol. No Skoda breakdown available so AA attend  - decided against calling Fire Brigade as suggested!!. AA Guy says fuel line solenoid working OK. There is no vent to the tank as rules say no venting to atmosphere it seems. AA guy suspects fuel pump pressurising tank after engine stops. Car now with main dealer. Any clues??

20160823_125401.jpg

20160823_125641.jpg

25 Mar 2016 on drive 2.jpg

Not seen that before... but read about someone just recently on the forum have a "gush" of air escape from the fuel tank when filling it up..

If it was hot weather related, would maybe expect the Oz members to be posting about it.. (though far and few between on here.)

I have not looked at my car, but my previous BMW had a excess fuel drain in the plastic surround / casing around the top of the fuel filler neck and this did become blocked over time on a few occasions with general road/dirt and the overflow or split fuel would get stuck in the pipe which ran down the inner wing and would sometimes unblock its self and drop maybe a egg cup or 2 worth of fuel onto the drive which then looked like gallons had leaked if the drive was wet.. however for a dry surface and petrol, that looks a fair old amount !!!

Edit - looking into this further..

As a guess, maybe item 23 or 24 is leaking - suction jet pump with sensor for fuel display? (or the seals around it? ) but saying that it could be any of the hoses etc..

petrol eng.+, 4motion

Source - www.realoem.me/Skoda/CZ/SUP/2017/851/R/2/201/201045#18

793201450.png

1 3Q0201055Q   fuel tank, D >> - 24.05.2015 66 ltr. 1  
(1) 3Q0201055AP   fuel tank, D - 25.05.2015>> 66 ltr. 1  
2 3Q0201931A   breather line, D >> - 24.05.2015 natural 1  
(2) 3Q0201931E   breather line, D - 25.05.2015>> natural 1  
3 3Q0201293A   fuel line feed 1  
4 3Q0201607B   extraction unit with metering pump, for vehicles with auxiliary heater   1 PR-9M9
5 3AA201550M   fuel tank cap   1  
6 1K0201557A   o-ring   1  
7 1J0201250   clip   1  
8 3Q0201308A   heat shield plate   1  
9 N 91068501   panel nut M5 6  
10 3Q0201654A   tensioning strap right 1  
11 3Q0201653A   tensioning strap left 1  
12 N 91159101   hexagon head bolt (combi) M8X40 6  
13 3Q0201693   bush   2  
14 3Q0201840   rubber bush   2  
15 3Q0201693   bush   4  
16 3Q0201840   rubber bush   4  
17 1H0201449C   clip 2 point 1  
18 3Q0201801   activated charcoal container   1  
19 N 10240003   hex collared bolt M8X32 1  
20 3Q0201142   earth line   1  
21 N 10699801   hexagon head bolt (combi) M6X35 2  
22 1K0201375   union nut, bayonet catch   2  
23     fuel delivery unit and sender for fuel gauge, see illustration, item: 919-030,4    
24     suction jet pump with sensor for fuel display, see illustration, item: 919-030,8    
25     o-ring, see illustration, item: 919-030,3    
26     control unit for fuel pump, see illustration, item: 919-030,1    
27     1 set of fuel pipes with breather tube, see illustration, item: 201-015,1    
28     clip, see illustration, item: 201-015,2    
30 8K0201274B   damping   6  

Edited by RickTT

Rick thanks for the suggestion - I have passed on to my dealer. Prykey, l thought warm weather was a factor in August but this certainly was not the case last saturday. Something is building pressure in the tank, quite significant when it is only one third full and it gushes from the filler neck - its beyond my schoolboy physics to understand how.

My $0.02 as an Aussie member... I definitely don't think its a hot weather thing - I have parked mine in 44C temps all day and not had any fuel leak issues (though you certainly get a large hiss when unscrewing the cap to refill).

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I am having exactly the same fuel leak problem with a 280 PS Superb.  Thus far, the dealer has replaced the fuel tank and the canister, but the problem continues and my less than year old Superb has been off the road for five weeks.

Has anyone found a fix please?  Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Avrile,

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem.  What worked for my car was a connecting tube, with AKF valve (part no. 06H906517T).  Thus far, no more leaking fuel.  

I hope this helps.  Best of luck.   

• Like 1

I couldn't work out what AKF valve might stand for at first, but it must be the purge valve that allows vapours to emerge from the Aktivated Karbon Filter (excuse the guessed German spelling; charcoal canister in English). So in the engine bay, rather than local to the fuel tank, I expect. 

Edit google translate suggests AktivKohleFilter

Edited by Wino

Yes, this is the purge valve.  I can only assume that the valve was sticking, such that the canister wasn't being purged.  The result, I imagine, was the canister becoming saturated in fuel, when then forced its way out via the filler cap.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 26/01/2019 at 23:47, Avrile said:

Hi 

is your leaking fuel filler still a problem as we are experiencing the same problem and hoping to find a fix - many. Thanks 

Hi @Avrile, did you manage to get a fix in the end? This has just happened to my 280ps too -- again sat in direct sunlight on a hot day. Now waiting for AA patrol to come and take a look.

Thx

FWIW there is a vapor collection system in the RR wheel arch (under the wheel liner, its a plastic box, I was looking at it when I did some sound-control recently). The overflow tube pokes through the wheel-well and onto the ground in that location. This would suggest liquid fuel is collecting in this system and not being drained back to the tank as it should. Then with expansion of hot air/heat burping the contents onto the ground.

The system appears to be designed to do this, but why its happening is the problem.

Vapor Collection Skoda III.png

Edited by digifish

yep.

i had this problem with my 280. new evap canister in the rear right wheel well, and purge valve up front courtesy of skoda.

seems to have fixed it 

• Like 1

Thanks! Well the AA chap thought it's just gunk from the filler cap overflow pipe, as the drains down through that wheel arch. Couldn't find anything else wrong. We'll keep an eye on it for sure, knowing what else to ask for check-up on is very helpful.

i would bring it in to your dealer if its still under warranty. i'd bring it in if its out of warranty too as its a known fault, and flags immediately for them when they check it out on their system as a known problem. only issue is it can take a bit of time to get the part.

On 28/06/2019 at 15:25, Joth said:

Hi @Avrile, did you manage to get a fix in the end? This has just happened to my 280ps too -- again sat in direct sunlight on a hot day. Now waiting for AA patrol to come and take a look.

Thx

On 30/06/2019 at 23:07, Zillio said:

Thank you for the info, think I am getting this issue ...  well at least once but difficult to reproduce... 34C temps yesterday did not cause the problem.

On 30/06/2019 at 23:07, Zillio said:

Thank you for the info, think I am getting this issue ...  well at least once but difficult to reproduce... 34C temps yesterday did not cause the problem.

Hi - no sadly we never found a fix for the problem - our Skoda garage tried at least 3 times over a 2 year period but no success - we decided to trade in our Skoda and we now have another one which so far has been fine 

good luck with yours 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Noticed a fuel smell at the back of my Skoda III 280 a few weeks ago. Ignored it.

Today I check the back of the car and on the offside rear wheel is a pool of petrol. Opened the fuel cap and about 400ml of fuel runs out of the fuel inlet, into the fuel cap area and onto the wheel and driveway.

Are Skoda fully aware of this issue and how much do they charge for a fix?

Just now, Ronskin said:

Noticed a fuel smell at the back of my Skoda III 280 a few weeks ago. Ignored it.

Today I check the back of the car and on the offside rear wheel is a pool of petrol. Opened the fuel cap and about 400ml of fuel runs out of the fuel inlet, into the fuel cap area and onto the wheel and driveway.

Are Skoda fully aware of this issue and how much do they charge for a fix?

BTW. Had 3/4 of a tank when this happened.

Hi Ronskin,

Given the current situation, it has taken me 4 weeks to get anywhere with this. Skoda UK told me it was dangerous and not to use the vehicle and take it to a dealership at the end of lockdown! I wasn't happy with that answer and it then took me a day to find a dealership that is open. The car will be recovered to a dealership this morning and assessed. As the warranty ran out just before it happened, who knows what it will cost. I am hoping that due to the nature of the issue, it will be done as a goodwill warranty. 

Good luck with yours. I would suggest that next time it happens, you video it and take photos