EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

I would encourage anyone experiencing problems with the diesel emissions fix to join The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal) on Facebook. This seems to be the largest public action group who are coordinating action. They are also collating evidence from impacted users so any information you can give them is valuable. They organised a protest rally at UK VW HQ and usually have the latest information, links and new stories, including link to the Channel 4 News coverage last week. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

just got this email from Harkus Sinclair Solicitors

Good Channel 4 report link there.

The VW fix was only ever designed to remove the coding that made the car activate 'cheating mode' during testing.

makes no difference to NOx in normal driving and VW admit to this.

Dear all

The Volkswagen, Audi, Škoda, and SEAT NOx Emissions Group Litigation

For those of you who are interested, Channel 4 last week broadcast an interesting segment on Volkswagen's 'fix' and its effects, which you can watch by clicking here

Greenpeace also published a story along similar lines, which you can access by clicking here.

I also wanted to thank Chris for agreeing to be interviewed as part of Channel 4's programme, and to ask whether anybody else has had a similar experience.  As I have mentioned previously, if there are safety issues which arise as a result of the fix, we will need to raise them with Volkswagen's lawyers. 

With best wishes

Djp_sig.jpg

Damon

Damon Parker
Director

Harcus Sinclair UK Limited
3 Lincoln's Inn Fields
London WC2A 3AA

Tel +44 (0) 20 7164 6176
Fax +44 (0) 20 7539 4703

Because the Defeat Devices did not just affect the EU Test Results and Smog Tests in the US, the affect was also when the engines were not in Test Modes, 

so the new mapping required when the Defeat Device removed needed to get the Retesting results to allow the Euro 5 TDI's to be on the road, 

but as it turns out VW's assurances of no cause and affect and worse efficiency seems to be as reliable as other assurances they give.

Maybe there are some engine variants having no issues after 'The Fix', or not obviously so yet.

Did a leading VW exec perfect defeat device rather than stop it_.mhtml

Well Hi Sur,

Seeing as I, Monday past,3rd July, left home at 06:35, and arrived at the Belfast end of the Foreshore Motorway, with an average indicated speed of 61mph, & 59.5mpg, from the turn of the key some 40+ miles later, 2 up.

And sticking to the accepted speed limits, i.e. going with the flow at "near-enuff" an indicated 80, on the M Way.

(which I reckon has to equate to 60mpg at 60mph+_3%? or OK perhaps +_ 5%, still astounding)

I will stick to my as yet "uncorrected" 1.6TDI, which since I retired, i.e. no stop-start, multiple short runs, jibbling about town, all work related, has really really started to impress me.

mth

Edited by marcusthehat

I had the fix done on 20th June this year since then I've done over 1000 miles in it the only diffrence ive noticed is a bit smoother up the rev range and feels a bit quicker. Apart from that no difference mine is 2012 1.6 Greenline elegance bought the car in January 2017 with 22k and now has just over 29k

It's only ok for the owner if they plan to sell within 2years.it was obvious this was going to happen with the fix being applied the knock on effect was failing DPR AND EGR so drop in car values especially VAG more problems to come all because of vag cheating,let's hope they can be sued in this country and made to compensate the owners that they've conned and treated with such disrespect.

Any car bought from a dealer will have had "the fix" done - talking to a salesman today he said that they have to do the work on any vehicle that comes in for part-ex

That was a Skoda Dealership in the UK -he said that they HAVE to "fix it" before they can sell it

Points mean prizes, money for Dealerships and the more VW get done the better for them.

Another member has posted in the Superb section as there has been in the Rapid & Fabia section, car in for other work and they told the Dealership do not do The Fix and then they collect the car and 'the fix' or as Skoda Service Desk staff like to say 'an update' has been done.

There really are going to be issues as more Dealerships behave that way with customers vehicles.

Edited by Awayoffski

After replacement of EGR which failed 15 miles after the fix, have had two limp mode issues with no warning plus starting problems. RAC called and they checked the battery as healthy. Could not get a booking in to garage for ten days so drove around with jump leads and spare battery in foot-well . Garage reported battery as failing which was interesting so have had new one fitted, £282.  2 months since driving a perfect Yeti into the garage to put up with continual problems since, just to assuage VW conscience as all the fix does is report the increase emissions during an MOT test

The UK MOT and emissions with Dirty Diesels has nothing to do with Defeat Device removal.

EU Type approval and VW cheating or not a Euro 5 TDI will get through a MOT as long as still roadworthy, so without the fix or with the fix.

Since owning a VAG vehicles I've learn they lie and cheat,and continually lie and cheat and have no respect for their customers in the EU,we need strong government like the Americans who got stuck in to these cheats with heavy fines while over here we will have to rely on no win no fee law firms.

Edited by Sad555
  • Like 1

Why ? I can understand anybody's contempt for corporate  cheating but that doesn't automatically mean you have suffered personally. How much do you want - what financial loss have you actually incurred ?    Are people now queuing up in the hope of getting something for nothing ?

• Like 4

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:55, Sad555 said:

Since owning a VAG vehicles I've learn they lie and cheat,and continually lie and cheat and have no respect for their customers in the EU,we need strong government like the Americans who got stuck in to these cheats with heavy fines while over here we will have to rely on no win no fee law firms.

Vote with your feet. Sell up any VAG vehicles you have and go to another brand.

• Like 1

I did not join this group because my Greenline Yeti was a company lease car and hence I have not suffered loss personally.

However it had the fix two weeks before it went back as part of a trip to garage to get its first mot at 42k miles.

In the last two weeks and 600miles i had it after the fix before it went back, it had less torque at low speeds, did at least 4 regens which I had never noticed before in normal use, seemed noisier from the engine, and had an apparently slightly increased fuel consuption from the maxidot.

I had considered buying this car and runing it as my own private car because the company car scheme had stopped on return of this Yeti, but could not avoid this fix and would not have trusted it as reliable in the longer term.

My wifes car is a 1.6tdi Fabia and that will not have the fix done so we cant demonstrate a loss that way. It may reduce faster in value due to the isues coming tp light, conversely buyers will always want this sort of car so an unfixed one may be worth a lot more at 5 or more years old.

The price guides such as Parkers should start to indicate the different values of fixed and untouched diesel cars!

Just a question ..........Has anyone checked the Insurance Company's position on the fix? ......... if dealers and VAG are saying that it should be done ......  is it ever a condition of insurance that all manufacturers recalls etc., should be done?

Edited by BillN_33

I only  buy a car very infrequently, and only after careful research and deliberation, and as a "keeper".

I am therefore not concerned about re-sale/trade in value, rather the continued drivability and reliability of my choosen vehicle, of whatever brand.

But!

Having experienced the outright blatant lying deciet of 2 NI based Skoda dealers, which in conjunction with VAG's proven decietful corporate  attitude, tells me,

this is a top-down, and extending right through to the franchised dealerships issue.

Which needs to be swingeing & punitively addressed by the Euro/UK authorities.

And, yes, I would like some cash compo for being continually lied to and shat all over, NOT for reduced re-sale/trade in value.

Simples.

• Like 1

BillN_33, it is not a 'Safety Critical Recall',  

not a Recall on the DVSA / Government Recall Site, and not compulsory.

As it is it is a None Factory Standard Modification since the 'Type Approval' was carried out on the cars and somehow the VW Group claims the Defeat Device 

from the Factory was legal.

So should the Insurance Industry consider 'The Fix' as a Modification but a none performance improving one, 

*They might have to consider 'The Fix' as a higher risk as cars are reported as failing while being driven...

So if the UK Government or EU Commission declares the Defeat Device as illegal that might be another matter.

Has any skoda or vag owner been offered a low px offer against another brand of even vag dealers  of late especially since the fix fail?

7 hours ago, grayson said:

Why ? I can understand anybody's contempt for corporate  cheating but that doesn't automatically mean you have suffered personally. How much do you want - what financial loss have you actually incurred ?    Are people now queuing up in the hope of getting something for nothing ?

Something for nothing? I bought a car that has a cheat fitted which I feel decreased its value,and if I have  to tick a box for VAG by having the fix with nothing to gain for me and a great chance of ruining the engine ,if you are happy to be treated this way it's your choice as a VAG fan but I've been cheated and my buying/ selling options have been limited by VAG  so yes I would like to be compensated for all this trouble.

Edited by Sad555
Spelling

36 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Has any skoda or vag owner been offered a low px offer against another brand of even vag dealers  of late especially since the fix fail?

I visited a BMW dealer. On discussing the trade in value of my Skoda Superb diesel, the salesman specifically stated that the car's value had been adversely affected by the emissions issue.

• Like 1