Virtual Pedal - utter, utter s....

I've given it a fair chance for a month, but tonight it opened once in a hundred (it seemed) times.

It should work like KESSY - "point here to operate", but it doesn't.

I haven't found anyone who can point to the sensor and say Bingo!

I can wave a foot, a hand, lots of people's hands and feet, but it just won't perform as it should.

Has anyone got one that works who can point to what's going wrong here?

The manual "instruction" isn't helping.

Now I'm off for a stroll in the evening sunshine with my music on to cool down.

Edited by john999boy
Title change.

I don't have mine yet or had this before but I've read you possibly have to wave your foot then step back. Possibly detects you from the key in your pocket and the rear parking sensors working in unison? Stopping the tailgate giving you an uppercut!

I think it's worth reporting to Skoda. You've paid a fortune for it, and it's not working as intended. You're entitled to a refund unless the dealer can show it working properly, or repair it to your satisfaction.

This is how it should work: 

Edited by bigboss

2 hours ago, PeteM said:

I don't have mine yet or had this before but I've read you possibly have to wave your foot then step back. Possibly detects you from the key in your pocket and the rear parking sensors working in unison? Stopping the tailgate giving you an uppercut!

Sensor is underneath for virtual pedal

Correct or it would be silly waving your leg under the car for nothing. Was just wondering if it included the bumper sensors as video shows stepping back and other threads mentioning this and for closing also.

Lol a few seconds? Who wants to wait a few seconds every time they open the boot. I don't have that feature, but I hate the auto tailgate enough already without it. It's tech for tech's sake and because its so slow it's not even good tech.

I mean, if it was a good idea, we'd all be opening our front door hands free.

21 hours ago, PeteM said:

Correct or it would be silly waving your leg under the car for nothing. Was just wondering if it included the bumper sensors as video shows stepping back and other threads mentioning this and for closing also.

AFAIK the stepping back is because the key has to be quite close to be recognised, then you have to step back so that when you extend your leg it is far enough under the car for the sensor.

From memory, if you add this option yourself to a KESSY car by buying and fitting all the necessary bits you don't have to do any coding on the Parking Sensors, so they aren't involved in the process.

Hi, there! I'm new to the forum and to Škoda as well. 
But from my test ride and discussion with manager, I was told, that the biggest issue of "virtual pedal" which makes a lot of users confused is a need of having a key. Where is an extra KESSY sensor for recognizing key mounted somewhere in tailgate. Be aware of that. Personally I, tested this function on a test car prior to including it in an order, as I already heard about issues with Superb owners. It worked just fine, without any issues. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2 months in and it's still rubbish.

I have less than a 10% chance of the tailgate opening at the first attempt.

I see absolutely no logic whatsover in the sensor operation. Whether opening or closing.

A very poor show from Skoda.

On 10/05/2017 at 19:17, andyvee said:

AFAIK the stepping back is because the key has to be quite close to be recognised, then you have to step back so that when you extend your leg it is far enough under the car for the sensor.

Put the key in your socks, works every time

• Like 1

Hi

I have no problems on my Superb, I find that you have to wave your foot under the tailgate on the left hand side

and then step back, I think the step back is the key as otherwise the system senses that you may be in the danger area

hope this helps

1 hour ago, Superb626 said:

Hi

I have no problems on my Superb, I find that you have to wave your foot under the tailgate on the left hand side

and then step back, I think the step back is the key as otherwise the system senses that you may be in the danger area

hope this helps

If this doesn't work, then best to book it in for repair.

It works on my Kodiaq - I just put my foot straight in under the center of the bumper and then pull the foot straight out - no waving about.
According to the Swedish manual, waving your foot under the bumper is for stopping the movement of the boot lid.

4 hours ago, Joakim said:

It works on my Kodiaq - I just put my foot straight in under the center of the bumper and then pull the foot straight out - no waving about.
According to the Swedish manual, waving your foot under the bumper is for stopping the movement of the boot lid.

I'll be looking at a Kodiaq (Again...) this Friday so I'll have to see 

Nope. Although on the video "she is kicking the car", touching the car is not required.

"Depending on equipment the boot lid can be operated without contact."

"To open/close, move one foot in the sensor area below the rear bumper
quickly in the direction of the arrow » Fig. 46.
The brake light in the rear window illuminates and the lid opens/closes automatically.
An acoustic signal is sounded when opening/closing the lid.
If the lid does not move, then repeat the operating process after a few seconds.
The lid movement can be stopped by a rapid swinging of the foot. Swinging
the foot again will continue the lid movement."

Škoda Kodiaq manual, page 60.

• Like 1