Manchester Arena Blast

@Lee

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

there was a recurring theme in the terrorist attacks in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. Can you guess what it is?

Time to drain the peat bogs?

Yeah -- how many of us this morning immediately thought, "Oh no, not the bloody Irish again!"

5 minutes ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Yes I did actually edit my post but you got in there too quickly.

I realised that the Muslim couple who run the local corner shop have probably about as much intention of attacking Parliament as I do.

However, the thrust of my post is still valid; there does seem to be a recurring theme in all of these terrorist attacks.

I'm sorry. I didn't realise there was a time threshold before people can quote your posts. 

Yes, there is absolutely a common theme with deluded and evil ****s doing this in the name of Islam and nobody is denying that. Whether there's something about that faith that lends itself to inspiring them more than other religions would be a long and complicated debate, and there's equally no quick answer to how to stop it happening. 

I know getting rid of all Muslims isn't it though. 

Just now, SkodaVRS1963 said:

British born.

"Salman Abedi"?  How odd that it should have been an Arabic name.  There was I thinking it would have been somebody called Peter, or Janet, or Dave.  Maybe Hans, or Magnus, or Giuseppi.

So now watch all the media bending over backwards not to mention that it's a Muslim. "A British man is suspected"

And later: "This has nothing to do with Islam, even though the guy wasn't called Peter, or Janet, or Dave. Or Hans, or Magnus, or Giuseppi."

Tomorrow: "Muslims went to church in Manchester in a show of solidarity with their Christian friends."

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

Ahhh so if a British couple were to move to Sweden they should, by your logic, call their child Olaf and if they moved to Kenya call it something Kenyan?

You're warped, fella.

Must be terrible for you living so full of fear and hatred of people you don't know and rarely encounter in your lovely Bath.

**** your life.

• Like 2

The most heavily surveilled country in Western Europe, in Europe's largest event centre and a guy of North African descent,  on his jack (?)  in a largely women only crowd and wearing a heavy coat in warm weather doesn't get spotted by Security ? - CCTV must have got him, otherwise they wouldn't have got the name post hoc. Does one presume no live feed to the SS ? Hmmm ? Or was he staff ?

"Its so difficult to pick this sort of thing up", they say - another case of no investment ? Given the profile of this sort of thing, I'd have thought all major event centres, sports grounds, shopping malls, airports, stations, ports, motorway service areas would, by now, have some sort of feed out to the security services. It's so easy it could probably be facilitated on MS Azure !!!!!

I think its another case of tight as nun's doodah on the expenditure front - "because you're not worth it"

Eyes peeled when I next put in my next visit to the usual even softer securitised venue. . . RSVP.

N

Edited by Clunkclick

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

My heart goes out to the friends and families of all those involved.

This has been pointed out to me.

Lee Rigby - 22-05-2013
Brussels attack - 22-03-16
Munich attack - 22-07-16
London attack- 22-03-17...
Manchester attack- 22-05-17

Does make you wonder about 22-07-17.

Yep :sadsmile:
 7 Jan 15 France missing
13 Nov 15 Paris missing
14 July 16 Nice Truck attack
19 Dec 16 Berlin

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Clunkclick said:

The most heavily surveilled country in Western Europe, in Europe's largest event centre and a guy of North African descent,  on his jack (?)  in a largely women only crowd and wearing a heavy coat in warm weather doesn't get spotted by Security ? - CCTV must have got him, otherwise they wouldn't have got the name post hoc. Does one presume no live feed to the SS ? Hmmm ? Or was he staff ?

Eyes peeled when I next put in my next visit to the usual even softer securitised venue. . . RSVP.

N

Your assuming they wore a coat. 

There's a typical Islamic attire which could have been worn making them simply look 'fat' 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Your assuming they wore a coat. 

There's a typical Islamic attire which could have been worn making them simply look 'fat' 

And how many of the women would be wearing similar attire ? - "Don't worry Fatima, Semtex bumps is the new orange".

Must have stuck out like a sore thumb - unless in staff uniform and/or accompanied by women .

N

Edited by Clunkclick

3 minutes ago, Clunkclick said:

And how many of the women would be wearing similar attire ?

Must have stuck out like a sore thumb - unless in staff uniform and/or accompanied by women .

N

Neither you nor I know the full facts or have seen CCTV evidence, so best not to 'guess' here

Edited by gadgetman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Clunkclick said:

Odd target choice,  apart from the fact that its very soft with high probability of success.

Convenient probably. they were ready to go and that was the best concert to hit within a window of opportunity.

It's awful but basically get used to it. Unless you want to vote for Theresa May and Amber Rudd to put a chip in your brain. They already want to put you at risk by putting backdoors in internet encryption. And monitor everything you do.

Your phone calls are already illegally monitored and have been for years.

You can live in a free country and accept the risk that bad people won't like it.

Or you can live in a police state and tbh the bad people will still want to kill you, they just won't do it quite as often.

And if anyone says "if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear", ask them if they've curtains or blinds on their windows or a bathroom door. If they've nothing to hide why do they have them?

It's because it's human nature to want some privacy from the world even if all you're doing is reading the paper and taking a dump.

When I first heard about this I felt sort of numb. Another attack back in my homeland...

Now it has sunk in I'm so f_ing angry. Targeting kids ffs.

An eight year-old girl is dead. And 21 others. They were pulling nails out of people. Children. What is this supposed to achieve?

What do you have to do to a man to make him do something like this? And he was British. 

All rooted in arguments about whose thousands of years old storybook has the best sky fairy.

13 minutes ago, Aspman said:

And if anyone says "if you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear", ask them if they've curtains or blinds on their windows or a bathroom door. If they've nothing to hide why do they have them?

Mainly because the neighbours don't like me walking around the house naked, bunch of prudes. 

• Like 2

@RobClubley

The worst part about the thousands years old storybooks is that the big 3 of judaism, christianity and islam share an origin point, just break away at differing points courtesy of an argument among the principle human characters.. so..its technically true that ALL the killing in the names of religions is being done in the name if the same god... with everyone wanting daddy to pick them as his favourite. How do you fix that...

• Like 2

It gives one a cold chill that one could have rubbed shoulders with this man.  I went to Salford University Business school for a day visit a few months ago for selection of Salford as one of my offspring's university of choice and there were students there with the lecturers saying what a great place it was to study.  Seemed such a happy place.

Then the bomber's visit a month ago to Libya and seeing the turmoil that is in that country that despite the UK giving his family a home and education he decided to do this.  His mosque, Didsbury, is rated as one of the more moderate ones.  Expect information will trickle out but we must learn what path has led to his radicalization when his family was afforded much assistance but one might presume he got fired up on other issues and we must counter those ideologies which is difficult when he believes his actions give him assent to Jannah.

Have a visit to a high security site today so probably good to arrive early as can expect extra checks and searches I reckon.   

Edited by lol-lol

Security goes critical just as it looks as if the election script is going off piste with Mr Corbyn gaining ground.

Luv the holy joe last night doing the "Manchester can take it line" -easy to say when most of the white middle-class are outwith the major conurbations now, following the population movements of the last 20 years.

And we'll all be OK if we all stick together - only one way this issue will be sorted  and that's talking to them, specifically the Saudis.

But the Americans have just snookered every body else's chance of doing that with the $100 billion arms deal. And we're the Americans best buddies.

So,we're not going to talk, and we're going to  substitute troops in place of policeman (No additional cost). And lets not spend more money on surveillance and analysis (The only feasible systematic solution in the absence of intelligence breaks and talking directly to adversaries) or turning the Isle of Man into a Guantamo - we can't put the most important thing in jeopardy - Brexit and the interests of a few Tory backbenchers.

So, standby for another 30 years of the same *******s we had with the IRA.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

1 minute ago, Clunkclick said:

And lets not spend more money on surveillance and analysis (The only feasible systematic solution in the absence of intelligence breaks and talking directly to adversaries) or turning the Isle of Man into a Guantamo - we can't put the most important thing in jeopardy - Brexit and the interests of a few Tory backbenchers.

Nick

TM as Home Sec in April 2016

5 minutes ago, Clunkclick said:

Security goes critical just as it looks as if the election script is going off piste with Mr Corbyn gaining ground.

Luv the holy joe last night doing the "Manchester can take it line" -easy to say when most of the middle-class are outwith the major conurbations now, following the population movements of the last 20 years.

And we'll all be OK if we all stick together - only one way this issue will be sorted  and that's talking to them, specifically the Saudis.

But the Americans have just snookered every body else's chance of doing that with the $100 billion arms deal. And we're the Americans best buddies.

So,we're not going to talk, and we're going to  substitute troops in place of policeman (No additional cost). And lets not spend more money on surveillance and analysis (The only feasible systematic solution in the absence of intelligence breaks and talking directly to adversaries) or turning the Isle of Man into a Guantamo - we can't put the most important thing in jeopardy - Brexit and the interests of a few Tory backbenchers.

So, standby for another 30 years of the same *******s we had with the IRA.

Nick

The ira that corbyn supports?