Modifying Your Fabia MK III

2 hours ago, James777 said:

Looks wise its awesome! Great improvement. The measured drop is more than expected if my maths is right?

So you mention a harsher ride, that has put me off a bit tbh as my ride already feels the bumps quite hard with tyres set as required 17" rims. Is it now a bone shaker?? What's it like on the motorway at high speed?

I may just opt for sports suspension when I trade in in the new year. Most of the roads in my area are crap! I was behind a brand new SEAT Ibiza the other day which was lowered with 17's and hardly any gap in the arch and it was bobbing and dipping on every single thing it went over and was in a 30 zone.

Is the ride with your springs something I may not enjoy very much or is it honestly bearable? 

I think I could go a little bit lower, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. It is not a bone shaker, the roads here aren't great and I wouldn't complain! If you drop as low as 40mm you're going to have to expect a harsher ride, but as I said it really isn't that harsh. The looks outweigh the slightly harsher ride for me. But each to their own I guess!

8 minutes ago, Lemto said:

I think I could go a little bit lower, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. It is not a bone shaker, the roads here aren't great and I wouldn't complain! If you drop as low as 40mm you're going to have to expect a harsher ride, but as I said it really isn't that harsh. The looks outweigh the slightly harsher ride for me. But each to their own I guess!

@Lemto thank you for the feedback, it's wasn't I dig or anything btw I just wanted your complete honest opinion really. I did once have a Corsa gsi which was lowered some what when I bought it and from memory that wasn't too bad and it handled like it was on rails!!

I may look at lowering mine too as I can't really trade in until 2019 just realised.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, James777 said:

@Lemto thank you for the feedback, it's wasn't I dig or anything btw I just wanted your complete honest opinion really. I did once have a Corsa gsi which was lowered some what when I bought it and from memory that wasn't too bad and it handled like it was on rails!!

I may look at lowering mine too as I can't really trade in until 2019 just realised.

You're okay mate, I took no offence lol! Hope you decide on something that suits you, at the end of the day you're the one that's going to have to live with the car every day ;)

On 26/07/2017 at 18:05, Lemto said:

On 26/07/2017 at 18:05, Lemto said:

NOTE TO ALL:

Make sure you check your axle load prior to ordering. Just realised I will require a different part number, the DSG box has the extra weight.

22 hours ago, James777 said:

NOTE TO ALL:

Make sure you check your axle load prior to ordering. Just realised I will require a different part number, the DSG box has the extra weight.

I was only showing what fitted my car. People would be very silly to buy these without looking into it. Understand why you noted that though. As for bump stops, I don't recall seeing them in the box; just the springs. Therefore leads me to believe they aren't needed, however I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Lemto said:

I was only showing what fitted my car. People would be very silly to buy these without looking into it. Understand why you noted that though. As for bump stops, I don't recall seeing them in the box; just the springs. Therefore leads me to believe they aren't needed, however I could be wrong.

Great stuff thanks @Lemto

What costs is a De-cat on a modern petrol car and your insurance not paying out to you if there was an accident & a loss adjuster is checking out your car,

that is not paying out to the owner, but paying out to the 3rd parties & then go after the policy holder for that money because of an undeclared mod, 

and a De-cat is very likely to be undeclared since it is illegal for using on the roads.

It's not got decat, it's got a Sports cat (at the minute anyway) so fully legal :thumbup: 

He paid about £1200 for sports cat and system, but I can get it for £650 now if I wanted (from a different place)

Then he just bought pipercross panel filter (about £30) and remap about £350

JBS are developing hybrid turbo, which he will be getting when it's done and they want £1850 for that.

Then it's an uprated clutch to cope with the power.

After the hybrid turbo he should see 185-195bhp :) 

@James777 Crackle over-run is when your exhaust makes a fast popping noise after you lift off the pedal... like a rally car

Edited by Damo
  • Like 1

^^^ Is that an ar53 covering statement that your mate needs to have made?

Why do people online post their car mods saying "Decat and performance exhaust".  then when this is questioned it turns out it is a 'Sports cat' fitted.

So the 151.4 bhp was achieved when a Sports Cat was fitted!

Might be because the business removing a cat is as likely to get caught out if ever the officers of the law were checking out the vehicle so best not for customers cars showing as having a Decat.

No cover up involved. 

He currently has the sports cat fitted (but he is on about having it removed imminently, hence why he stated that)

Personally for the extra 5-10hp it will give, I would rather stay legal... but you can't make others do as you would, even though they know the risks if caught out.

I have decided against lowering my Fabia at all....i have a bad back already so can't justify making things worse. The ride is already quite firm IMO so lowering will certainly effect that for the worse.

3 hours ago, James777 said:

I have decided against lowering my Fabia at all....i have a bad back already so can't justify making things worse. The ride is already quite firm IMO so lowering will certainly effect that for the worse.

Same here James...

Only way I would lower mine is with the Street Comfort Coilovers, as they are the best I've ever been in. 

Can tailor them to be really soft whilst giving the lowered look, at the twist of a dial.

Only trouble is they cost circa £1k :sadsmile:

14 hours ago, Damo said:

Same here James...

Only way I would lower mine is with the Street Comfort Coilovers, as they are the best I've ever been in. 

Can tailor them to be really soft whilst giving the lowered look, at the twist of a dial.

Only trouble is they cost circa £1k :sadsmile:

Are these any good or anyone else used these?

http://pbbrakes.com/skoda-fabia-2wd-mk3-nj-coilover-suspension-kit.html

• 3 months later...

There is no set list per se

I think it’s more along the lines of if a warranty issue arises, and they can link it directly to something you have altered, they can and will avoid paying out for the repair.

Found this Damage resulting from the use of non-original
replacement parts. Items which are excluded from
warranty cover include, but are not limited to:
> Components, equipment or software (including any
unapproved modifications to engine management
software) which are not part of the vehicle at the
point of original manufacture

On 3. 8. 2017 at 21:55, Damo said:

Then it's an uprated clutch to cope with the power.

After the hybrid turbo he should see 185-195bhp :) 

Those are some sick numbers... What was the stock tune? 90? Just asking because of the dyno numbers. 

Going for 190HP range is quite a stretch for the 1.2TSI. The stock crankshaft is forged, so that will help to handle all the power. As for the rest of stock internals, I am not sure what to think. The conrods should hold aswell, unless the engine will be trashed at max power and WOTed on a daily basis. The pistons are made from die-cast aluminium, so they do dissipate extra heat a bit better, and the piston cooling oil jet does help, but heat management is an important factor to consider when going up to that power. Luckily also, the head gasket is a metal one, so should cope with the increased cylinder pressure without much problems.

All in all, the EA211 1.2 TSI is a very well build engine with some good features, and the stock 90 hp tune is almost a disgrace for such a cool machine. :) So going for 190HP with stock internals is ok as long as you keep extra heat in check.

On my 90HP stock tune, I am seeing EGT/Cat temps around 700-750°C under acceleration. Peaked at 800°C under longer higher load applications. The stock header (+integrated exhaust manifold) materials were made for temps up to 950°C max.

Btw, what are his plans for the gearbox? Keeping the stock one? Those are rated at 200Nm (MQ200-5/6F) and the DSG (DQ200-7F) aswell, tho they can both likely hold good up to 300Nm, but not sure about going 300+... 

Edited by Recretos

Funny you should ask about his plans, as he is currently putting it all back to standard at the minute, and trading it in for an Audi.

Such a shame, as I would have loved to have seen how far these 1.2 TSi engines can safely go.

Agree with you, 90bhp is ridiculous from such a good base. 

And yes, his was a 90 as standard.

Damn, too bad. I was looking forward myself. Tho 190bhp would be at the veeeery limit I would say. The problem would be the gearbox first I believe. High loads, high power, high temps, for a 200Nm rated box would likely be a slow kill when pushing 300 or above. Or a fast one if you would try to speed shift. 300Nm also isnt shaft breaking power, but it could be for a lower rated equipment, and the individual components in the gearbox. The gearbox is also made with weigth and cost reduction in mind, so unlike the engine, is not made for 100% power increase, but is designed to hold stock power. Stage 1 should be fine, but some advanced stuff above 250Nm might pose a risk on the longer term wear and tare. 

You can find the same manual gearbox on the Golf 7. The 1.4TSI (90kw) has the same gearbox MF200 as the 1.2 TSI's.

But the 1.4TSI (103+kw) has a different manual gearbox, rated at 250Nm (MQ250-6F-02S). Funny enough tho, the DSG option on this engine is the same gearbox (DQ200-7F-0CW) as found on 1.2TSI's.

So looks like the DSG boxes are beefier, but manuals are not, so they designed a different box for the stronger engines (1.4TSI 103kw, 250Nm).

Edited by Recretos
  • Like 1

On 14/11/2017 at 21:58, Damo said:

There is no set list per se

I think it’s more along the lines of if a warranty issue arises, and they can link it directly to something you have altered, they can and will avoid paying out for the repair.

Thanks Damo

I have spoken to my dealer and this is part of there response

"if you would change any part of the exhaust system it would completely invalidate the warranty for the engine, exhaust, ECU filter etc, we would never advise to get anything changed from standard because of the knock on effect with other parts too"

I was actually planning on finally having my exhaust done in January however after finding this information out I just can't risk it.

I am sure other dealers may have a different opinion, but with all the research I have done it seems to be a very grey area as to what actually is correct and until you actually experience it for yourself you will never know...a risk not worth taking for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2017 at 18:30, Damo said:

My mate Adam has just gone stage 2 on his Fabia 1.2 TSi

Like McDonald's, he's loving it!

IMG_0556.PNG

I’d expect abit more than that from a stage 2 my mate has a stage 1 apr run that took his from 90bhp to 148bhp with no mods bar the map.