Adding AdBlue

Highlander19

I am getting a message AdBlue Range 1300 miles add min 1.25 Gallons - max 1.25 Gallons. I had a look at the tank and there is no indication of level of fluid.

Can anyone advise on this. Do you just add what it says and hope it doesn't overfill and any idea what capacity the tank is. 

Never had a vehicle with AdBlue before.

The Skoda containers used are screwed into the filler and stop the flow when full. Can then be unscrewed without losing what's left in the bottle.
Get the Skoda container (I think they are 1.9 litres) and a 10 litre container (it's cheaper) that can be decanted into the smaller leak free one.

When filled the ignition must be turned on without starting the engine for about 30 seconds for the car to register the filled tank.

• Like 1

Being old and dubious of elektrickery I offer up a 4L container every 2,000 or so miles.

It generally takes most of it (but not always) I used to tow a caravan as fast as allowed and

have cursed 20 and the newer 40 limits so I am possibly a one off among the more p.c. drivers

Otherwise I concur with the above.

1 hour ago, Frenchtone said:

Not having watched the vid(no adblue usage) is that adblue spread about or just water??  : -(D)

Having looked at the video I think he spilt some adblue while filling the smaller container and got a hose out to wash it away.
When filling the car with the first bottle the path was dry :biggrin:

Hi,

I pick up my new Yeti next month which also takes Adblue.

My query is, my local BP Garage has an Adblue pump next to one of its diesel pumps and the price per litre is very competitive against buying a container as well as being quite convenient.

Has anyone ever used this method of topping up the tank?

Thanks.

No, and I suspect that the outlet pipe of the pump will be bigger than the tank. I thought those pumps were more for the commercials with large separate tanks

• Like 1

Take large container to garage fill up then decant into smaller top up bottle, I found the price for the small bottle and 10 litre container competitively priced at my local VW dealer as my Skoda dealer didn't stock it.

15 hours ago, Goody1 said:

My query is, my local BP Garage has an Adblue pump next to one of its diesel pumps and the price per litre is very competitive against buying a container as well as being quite convenient.

Has anyone ever used this method of topping up the tank

I asked the question in a garage local to me. My yeti doesn't use adblue, I was just curious. I was told that cars can fill up, but because the pump is beside the hgv diesel ones you've got to go into the shop first to get it turned on. 

Given that the filler in the yeti is in the boot, and the pump pressure might be relatively high, I'd echo the advise about filling a big bottle and decanting to smaller top up bottle. 

• Like 1

I bought very cheaply a large funnel with flexible spout which fit perfectly and rested on edge of boot requiring no manual support while decanting. Then I decanted from a large rather heavy 10 litre can - which had a spout. Have topped up twice without spilling a drop. One can sense when the tank is approaching full by listening the the liquid flowing in. Simple and problem free. Bought the two 10 litre containers of adblue online. As simple as topping up my petrol lawn mower. 

1 hour ago, jonbenj said:

I asked the question in a garage local to me. My yeti doesn't use adblue, I was just curious. I was told that cars can fill up, but because the pump is beside the hgv diesel ones you've got to go into the shop first to get it turned on. 

Given that the filler in the yeti is in the boot, and the pump pressure might be relatively high, I'd echo the advise about filling a big bottle and decanting to smaller top up bottle. 

Thanks.

• 5 months later...
On 23/06/2017 at 19:50, Urrell said:

The Skoda containers used are screwed into the filler and stop the flow when full. Can then be unscrewed without losing what's left in the bottle.
Get the Skoda container (I think they are 1.9 litres) and a 10 litre container (it's cheaper) that can be decanted into the smaller leak free one.

When filled the ignition must be turned on without starting the engine for about 30 seconds for the car to register the filled tank.

Just now, willpat2 said:

Hi I have had problems from the day I picked my yeti diesel up,and it's still going on but every time I fill it up using the bottle 1.89 LTD they say it's over filled and that's why it's shows up on the maxi dot  but they will not listen to my side of the story .IA think the yeti is a great car but the adblue screws it righ up .it a shame .

I had no problem filling mine from a 10lt Halfords container.

the pipe of which attaches to the container is designed to stop running when the tank is full. Just a few drips to wipe up afterwards.

If you temporarily change the cars units to litres it gives the exact amount needed. Eg if 6lt as in my case I gave it half the 10lt container. Not quite full but safe and not overfilled.

The Adblu warnings and quantity in gallons is not much help, but in litres as used most places it is spot on.

33 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I had no problem filling mine from a 10lt Halfords container.

the pipe of which attaches to the container is designed to stop running when the tank is full. Just a few drips to wipe up afterwards.

If you temporarily change the cars units to litres it gives the exact amount needed. Eg if 6lt as in my case I gave it half the 10lt container. Not quite full but safe and not overfilled.

The Adblu warnings and quantity in gallons is not much help, but in litres as used most places it is spot on.

Ken, where is the display showing how much Addblu is needed? I've never found it.
I just fill up when the display says it needs it in x miles.

Willpat,

How exactly are you filling yours? I have never had a problem with mine, other than it sometimes takes a few miles to register the tank has been refilled, and the leaving the ignition on for 30 seconds hasn't worked.

Edited by Llanigraham

The maxi dot display tells you how many miles left and what quantity is needed to refill the tank. In gallons this is less than useless but if you use the settings menu and change units to km/litres you get a much more user friendly number of litres needed to refill. Just change units back to miles and gallons afterwards 

It always seems to give a standard message, distance and add min 0.75Gls, like Llanigraham I just fill the thing up and similarly wait a few miles for the additional AdBlue to be registered.  I’ve never got the ignition on wait 30seconds to work but just driving seems to sort it eventually.