What can I replace my Columbus with?

Evening all,

After owning my Superb since March, the standard Columbus has failed - It looks like a HDD fail as it only loads up the load screen then switches off. 

So, I have been looking at aftermarket units hence this post :)

Do you have an aftermarket Unit in your Car and would you recommend it / How do you rate it?

I have looked at the Eonon GA7153 and quite like the look of it plus the optional add ons like Reverse Cam, Dash Cam, DAB and TV etc. (My colleague has the GA7158 in his Audi and it looks great)

I contemplated buying a refurb unit of Rustynuts and still may do so, not sure, just fishing at the moment.

I have read on here and elsewhere the Kenwood unit is a bit of a let down price vs usage - So will skip that one (Not paying a £1000 for a Unit anyway lol)

So any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

I have an A-Sure unit. I only use Spotify and the iPlayer radio app as well as a couple of others. 

The FM signal is pants, and haven't tried the DAB. It's android so there is so many options. 

I like it and only cost me around £150. Plays dvd, cd and has Bluetooth, satnav etc too! 

There is a member who might be able to help, I think it is Rustynuts, as he deals with those units. Hopefully he will see your post.

Edited by Danny 57

I've just ordered this:

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-vw6405v-android-marshmallow-6-vag-fit-8-radio/  I actually bought it from the same company off Ebay for £320.

It's more expensive than some of the Android units out there but then again it's a direct OEM replacement: fitting and functionality - I'm told - should be a breeze.  The guy at the company spent 20mins on the phone with me and answered all my questions.

I've got a bit bored of Columbus and I think the new unit will give the whole cabin and driving experience a lift.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jafo said:

Very tasty but it's got no CD/DVD drive and the processor is a quad-core, rather than an octa-core. That's what swung me to the 6405V.

18 hours ago, Noddy90 said:

I've just ordered this:

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-vw6405v-android-marshmallow-6-vag-fit-8-radio/  I actually bought it from the same company off Ebay for £320.

That looks an impressive bit of kit, will be interested to hear how you get on with fitting.  Did you have to buy the optional DAB+ and TV kits that they say is 'required' in the Overview ?  I also like the idea of the 'Torque' app being pre-loaded if you add on the ECU dongle.  Anyway, sounds good !

4 hours ago, TasMan said:

That looks an impressive bit of kit, will be interested to hear how you get on with fitting.  Did you have to buy the optional DAB+ and TV kits that they say is 'required' in the Overview ?  I also like the idea of the 'Torque' app being pre-loaded if you add on the ECU dongle.  Anyway, sounds good !

I'm not interested in DAB; might think about the TV later but neither of them are "required" if you choose not to install them.  I might get the 3G dongle but I'll see how my phone works as a wifi hotspot first.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:24, Noddy90 said:

It's more expensive than some of the Android units out there but then again it's a direct OEM replacement: fitting and functionality - I'm told - should be a breeze.  The guy at the company spent 20mins on the phone with me and answered all my questions.

the guy you didn't buy it from helped you for twenty minutes but you bought elsewhere?? really?!

1 hour ago, superbdreams said:

the guy you didn't buy it from helped you for twenty minutes but you bought elsewhere?? really?!

No, I bought it from that same company. But from their listing on eBay, where I was able to submit a "best offer", rather than from their website. 

Pleased to be able to clear up that misconception. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, tuningmania said:

To " @Alan16ac " - No.. I ask " @JORDITO " to install it :) He is a well known Professional in our Country - Bulgaria..

Ahh, that might be a little far to go. I feel like I should be able to do it myself, I hope so anyway. 😂
Not sure whether to couple it with a dash cam too. There's so many options on their site, I don't know which to go with!

ATD website > Head units >OEM > Skoda > Superb

If it has the 4 mounts showing either side it will fit as per existing using original fascia

Depending on depth of replacement you 'may' need to extend the quad lock connector, about a tenner on ebay. 

Edited by olduns

On 11/02/2020 at 16:52, Alan16ac said:

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-vw8028v-9-android-9-0-after-market-radio-for-vw-seat-skoda/

Went with this one today, phoned them before hand and they confirmed it’s a direct fit. Hoping fitting it myself isn’t too difficult.

I've just ordered what I think is the same model but with an Erisin badge. It will be interesting to compare notes on installation and set-up. i've added DAB, 4G and TPMS modules to mine, so there's going to be plenty to try to squeeze into the dash.

3 hours ago, teacake said:

I've just ordered what I think is the same model but with an Erisin badge. It will be interesting to compare notes on installation and set-up. i've added DAB, 4G and TPMS modules to mine, so there's going to be plenty to try to squeeze into the dash.

I've only gone for the 4G, did think about TPMS so might order that another time. Never used DAB in my last car so didn't bother with that. Imagine there should be enough space as it looks not too deep.

1 hour ago, olduns said:

**** loads of room... Columbus fills all the space, mine was probably 1/3 shallower hence the need for quad extender

What's a quad extender? 

10 hours ago, olduns said:

Quad lock = connection to unit

I've tried looking for a quad lock extender and got lost in the choices. Would you be able to point us towards an appropriate part, olduns, or is it a case of dismantle and check?

Edited by teacake
(add quote)