Superb or Passat

Hi there,

passat R-line cheaper than the

Did anyone consider the Passat before getting their Superb? THere's some very good deals on Carwow at present meaning I could get a Passat R-line cheaper than the equivalant Sportline! Were there any reasons for discounting the VW if it was an option?

Thanks

Mark

Drove a newer Passat 150 diesel quite a lot. The main difference is space - the Passat has ample room but the superb is that bit better. Access to the boot can be tricky mind on the saloon version. The interior quality is a notch up on the Superb but mainly on the likes of door handles and lower down the interior. The Passat is marginally more refined too but there's not a whole lot in it. 

I was tempted by one when I was choosing lately but in Ireland there isn't a 190 option available and it's quite a jump price wise over a similarly specced sportline superb but if the price is similar it's really just a matter of which packaging you prefer. 

I'd still go for the Supurb even if the price was close I don't like the fact that the Passat is saloon only, not everyone wants an estate but still wants the better packaging of a hatch.

• Like 1

I had the choice of the Passat SE Business, Modeo Titanium or the Superb SE Technology, all in the estate version.

I love the Mondeo but have driven one for the last 12 years as a company car so wanted a change.

I have driven many incarnations of the Passat over the years  some for the day others for longer and have never really been impressed. I don't really like the interior and find the seats uncomfortable. The performance of the 2.0l engine was the only thing I liked. The new facelift has improved things visually from the outside from the Front, the side and rear views haven't improved imo.

I didn't dismiss the car straight away and went to try one but as soon as I sat in it, it really left me cold. It just felt cheap and nasty.

I tried the Skoda not knowing what to expect and was really surprised at the quality, space and equipment levels. I preferred everything about it over the Passat.

Everyone sees things differently, but to me I can't see any perceived increase in quality over the Superb. As an added bonus the Superb is cheaper for company car tax.

I am looking forward to getting my Superb, all being well in early September.

I looked at the R Line but as std the spec is not that good (compared to an L&K) and it worked out much dearer... albeit with a few more toys

3 hours ago, EoinM said:

Drove a newer Passat 150 diesel quite a lot. The main difference is space - the Passat has ample room but the superb is that bit better. Access to the boot can be tricky mind on the saloon version. The interior quality is a notch up on the Superb but mainly on the likes of door handles and lower down the interior. The Passat is marginally more refined too but there's not a whole lot in it. 

I was tempted by one when I was choosing lately but in Ireland there isn't a 190 option available and it's quite a jump price wise over a similarly specced sportline superb but if the price is similar it's really just a matter of which packaging you prefer. 

You could always go for the 240:biggrin:

17 minutes ago, Hoverurb said:

You could always go for the 240:biggrin:

Wouldn't say no to one! Priced one and quickly ran off with my tail between my legs:D

• Like 2

Yes was just about to say the same, did not even have to consider a Passat as there are no petrol models.

• Like 1

I went for a test drive in a Passat which is a fine car. I explained to the car sales man that I only drove about 4000 miles per year almost exclusively short urban journeys. He said that apart from a weird hybrid there was no petrol Passat and therefore that car was totally the wrong car for me. An honest car salesman ......is that a first! On the subject of quality difference between the Passat and Superb in my opinion there is absolutely nothing in it. I often look at my Superb and think what a handsome creature it is. Pity about the 28 mpg but you can't have everything!!!

I did briefly consider the Passat as the overall finish is very good but like others have said, the difference between it and the Superb are negligible in that area.  Practicality, aesthetics and overall value for money won out for me plus I think the longer wheelbase makes the Superb a slightly better cruiser.  My local VW dealer didn't even bother to make the effort either so neither did I!  There are petrol alternatives in Ireland but most sales would still be diesel here.

The 240PS BiTDI got my attention but then lost it when I seen they are ~£37K.   I'd like to see the Superb with a BiTDI engine and 4x4, it would suit the car very well. 

There's the GTE...

This was not available when I bought mine in 2015

When the lease finishes next year I will consider a hybrid Superb if it is avaiable.

8 minutes ago, philsmith said:

This was not available when I bought mine in 2015

When the lease finishes next year I will consider a hybrid Superb if it is avaiable.

I think it will be 2019 before they launch the hybrid Superb.

Which is very odd, because 280ps TSI 4MOTION is certainly available in LHD.

I love the new infotainment system / dash layout – more than that of the Superb. I’d go for it (given the 280 option) if it weren’t for the Superb’s clincher, which is the legroom.