Bye vRS - Hello Golf R

8 minutes ago, Mallettsmallett said:

It's nearly as wide as your house! 

Nice colour:)  Makes a change from Blue.

More importantly, looks like you have a little one, does he like it?

He does indeed - he is a 2yr old mini car fan

IMG_9934.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ive had my Golf R for 3 days now & i love it,had it out today on some twisty roads & as you say the grip is awesome & the power even in standard from is very good,agree about the exhaust note....ive not had mine out of "race mode" yet....im very tempted by the revo map....370bhp! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Are you in the Toon xpower? Sure I've seen your Octavia going around before!

Lol - maybe,not sure where the toon is.....

56 minutes ago, mikey vrs said:

Ive had my Golf R for 3 days now & i love it,had it out today on some twisty roads & as you say the grip is awesome & the power even in standard from is very good,agree about the exhaust note....ive not had mine out of "race mode" yet....im very tempted by the revo map....370bhp! 

Hopefully I'll be getting the engine map this year and I'm sure it will transform the car like it did with the vRS.

in std form it really lacks that sub 2500rpm punch and the final 5000rpm kick!

The revo car with just a map was seeing around 3.7-3.8 to 60 at one of the drag strips

1 minute ago, xpower said:

Hopefully I'll be getting the engine map this year and I'm sure it will transform the car like it did with the vRS.

The revo car with just a map was seeing around 3.7-3.8 to 60 at one of the drag strips

Ha sorry...as in Newcastle!

6 minutes ago, xpower said:

Our older cars are mapped, but we're not too sure if the Golf needs any more power.

The local roads are quite busy & "on the limit" driving is only possible in the wee small hours, when I'm usually asleep......

The insurance premium increase might be prohibitive, not yet asked the question.

DC

49 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Our older cars are mapped, but we're not too sure if the Golf needs any more power.

The local roads are quite busy & "on the limit" driving is only possible in the wee small hours, when I'm usually asleep......

The insurance premium increase might be prohibitive, not yet asked the question.

DC

What was amazing was the Golf R was CHEAPER to insure than the vRS - I was stumped!!!!

I'm with admiral and TBH they are really good with mods, the octavia was fully declared and it made almost no difference, they just say that they don't pay out the value of any modifications.

Good luck to you. One thing I'll add though is Octavia does add somewhat of a sleeper/lower tone than the Golf.

All I will say is the BIL had one recently, R same year as mine quite a few less miles though (but about half the value I paid for mine again to but it used to what I paid for my Octy), but had to get rid of it due to a concerning carjacking incident in Birmingham where a bunch of yobbos decided they wanted his R and he had to escape at speed and notified the police !

Technically that could happen with an Octy RS......but I seriously doubt it :D

Edited by vRSAnt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xpower said:

What was amazing was the Golf R was CHEAPER to insure than the vRS - I was stumped!!!!

I'mt with admiral and TBH they are really good with mods, the octavia was fully declared and it made almost no difference, they just say that they don't pay out the value of any modifications.

Our (!) Golf is in SWMBO'S name & replaced herr Octy 2 FL vRS, which was remapped by AMD, both cars insured with LV & ISTR that there wasn't much difference in the premium.

I really don't know if it's worth the expense of remapping it, although all our previous remaps gave more power / torque & better economy if driven sensibly.

Our long-term average is hovering around 30/31 mpg which is OK, but the other two manage 35/36, doing the same trips & speeds.

DC

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, T00mm said:

Great choice!

Thirsty on fuel?

Not really, not quite as good as the vRS but not much different.

vRS = average 35-36mpg

R = average 32-33mpg

the vRS will do low to mid 40's easily if driven on the motorway at sensible speeds.

The R seems not to want to go above 40mpg easily.

That being said the g'box ratios are shorter throughout on the R so the RPM at motorway cruising speed is higher than the vRS.

• Like 1

That's what I'm looking at doing. Would probably stick with Skoda if they did a 4x4 petrol vRS but they don't ....

• Like 1

Just now, Sarge said:

That's what I'm looking at doing. Would probably stick with Skoda if they did a 4x4 petrol vRS but they don't ....

Agreed. I wish Skoda would do a 4x4 in the vRS rather than just in the vRD! 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I just don't like estates - some aren't that bad looking but they're not for me.

I know they aren't doing it due to cross brand issues, but in my opinion a 230ps 4WD wouldn't be treading on the toes of the R or Cupra or S3 Saloon

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That's what I'm looking at doing. Would probably stick with Skoda if they did a 4x4 petrol vRS but they don't ....than the Golf

2 hours ago, toni8b said:

Why not take the estate version for bigger boot?

Good idea, replacing our old Mk 2 vRS hatch with a Golf hatch just wouldn't have worked for us. In the right colour (re-sale grey?) it's a sleeper too.

3 hours ago, xpower said:

Not really, not quite as good as the vRS but not much different.

vRS = average 35-36mpg

R = average 32-33mpg

the vRS will do low to mid 40's easily if driven on the motorway at sensible speeds.

The R seems not to want to go above 40mpg easily.

That being said the g'box ratios are shorter throughout on the R so the RPM at motorway cruising speed is higher than the vRS.

I managed 36 mpg tonight, 19 mile trip, 24 minutes door to door, with the cruise set for 69 mph where possible.