Petrol or diesel vrs??

Hi folks.im currently the owner of a mk1 octy vrs which iv loved! But looking to get a mk2 Vrs shortly. The question is petrol or diesel? I do around 8-10k a year so not too much. I wanted to try go diesel for (remaped torque and fuel economy) but from what iv read if not doing great mileage the petrol is great? Which 1 do yous guys prefer???? Cheers

At that mileage per year I'd go for petrol

The MKII VRS diesel was the first Octavia to get a DPF and early implementations were poor especially on pd versions

Edited by bigjohn

I had a Mk1 vRS back in the day and loved it as it was a great all rounder.  I now have a MK2 pre fl petrol Octavia and again, I'm impressed by it as a car that can fulfill so many roles.  As for economy you might be surprised at how good they are on fuel.  On my last three journeys I have seen an indicated 47mpg for two of them and 46mpg for the last journey.  Admittedly I was taking it easy and staying below 65mph on the motorway but even so, for a remapped petrol car I am very impressed with the running costs.

Fuelly showed my last tank as 37.4mpg overall but a lot of that was my 7 mile commute to work & back so the car doesn't really get a chance to get going.  

Edited by skinnyman

If you look at the top of the mk2 octavia page there is a thread all about it,the timing chain tensioner can fail on facelift models,it seems to affect the earlier models but thats not always true,the pre face lift vrs has a cambelt.What year of car are you looking at buying?.

5 hours ago, mikey vrs said:

If you look at the top of the mk2 octavia page there is a thread all about it,the timing chain tensioner can fail on facelift models,it seems to affect the earlier models but thats not always true,the pre face lift vrs has a cambelt.What year of car are you looking at buying?.

Hi mate thinkin roughly 06'ish around that kind of year.

Just now, richbogle said:

Hi mate thinkin roughly 06'ish around that kind of year.

I know the prefacelift have cambelt but it there also not a chain which runs 2nd cam or so?

No.1 - Petrol

No.2 - Diesel (Common Rail (CR170), available from 2008 on)

No.3 - Diesel (Pumpe Duse (PD170) with DPF professionally removed)

No.4 - Diesel (PD170 with DPF but a portion of the budget set aside for DPF removal - £500).

Oh, and Race Blue paint, nothing else will do on the vRS :D

• Haha 1

If you find a properly maintained TFSI VRS Pre-FL, 06-07 then it should have had 2 cam belt/water pump changes, hopefully a new air con compressor and new wheel hubs, G60 sensor and if body and engine are sound then buy it, as it should have had the silly faults repaired. It's a great car and you won't regret it. I parked near a 06 black example yesterday with modified grill and wheels with an immaculate interior, it looked great. 

I vote for Petrol as I have one. On long distance 35 - 40 MPG is not problem if I keep speed in limit. mostly time I drive in the city and short distance and my avarage mpg is 25-30. B)