What is this fake engine noise all about

Yeah, it sounds naff. I got the dealer to turn mine down after it started making the dash rattle. VAG do it to make the (otherwise dull) engine sound a bit better, but I never really go on with it. It's hard to make a 4-cylinder sound nice unless it's a boxer-engine.

edit: The dealer can turn it off or down via software, or it can be unplugged if you want to do it yourself.

Edited by Orville

7 hours ago, stever750 said:

Yes, use the vrs button. Opens up the menu on the display. I like it in the diesel vrs, makes it almost sound like it has 6 cylinders 

Mine sounds to me like I have a hole in the exhaust, not sporty In the slightest, didn't realise you can turn it off via the vrs button :dull:. I will have a look this  arvo....

I must be the only one here that likes it XD

Me and my mate have a great laugh hearing it in sport mode.

Also, it means I can accelerate with a great sound without sounding like a t**t with aloud exhaust... though I might consider one when the warranty expires...

• Like 3

I am just bemused by it.  Put me right off buying a new VRS last year when I test drove one and I only changed my mind when I read on here it can be turned off with VCDS.

Coming from an O2 VRS at the time which had few such "Max Power" pretensions I did not see it in any way as a step forward.

Currently I have "Individual" mode set to all "Sport" apart from Noise Thing on "Comfort" which more or less seems to turn it off.

Would be interested in a poll of for and against it, as I suspect most could live without especially if it knocked a few quid of the price.

How many people would specificy if it was a £100 option?

Edited by juan27

15 minutes ago, juan27 said:

I am just bemused by it.  Put me right off buying a new VRS last year when I test drove one and I only changed my mind when I read on here it can be turned off with VCDS.

Coming from an O2 VRS at the time which had few such "Max Power" pretensions I did not see it in any way as a step forward.

Currently I have "Individual" mode set to all "Sport" apart from Noise Thing on "Comfort" which more or less seems to turn it off.

Would be interested in a poll of for and against it, as I suspect most could live without especially if it knocked a few quid of the price.

How many people would specificy if it was a £100 option?

It can be changed in the normal menu, assuming the petrol vrs "vrs" button gives you the same choices  as the diesel and also my leon cupra. Whatever setting you select remain after restarting the engine, but you must have this choice, otherwise how do you change your steering weight, dcc control (if fitted) from e-diff etc etc. I'm amazed that some owners don't press every button on the first day as f ownership to find out what it does / how it works. 

Setting it to comfort turns the symposer off, so you are getting the natural engine sound, which if you do like then you need to go and listen to a cosworth bda or an alfa V6... ;)

Edited by stever750

Not on a vrs but i had the one on my Golf R turned down to around 49% using vcds & that works for me,just enough fake induction noise to go with the exhaust note,i did try it unplugged but i didnt like it as it was to quiet,having it in race mode with 100% fake sound was fun for the first week or so but to much with passengers in the car. 

Edited by mikey vrs
spelling

Well after 3 years on putting up with the awful fake sound (as I drive mostly in sport mode) via the infotainment setting, I have just paid for a cat-back Remus system with the remote sound controller, I do like the noise/sounds from real exhausts on vehicles but not a fake sound from a in car-speaker (so to speak) & to have no sound is just terrible especially on a £25,000 car in today's market.

Personally think the type of class a VW Golf/Skoda etc is in today's market, it should at least have a real sounding exhaust system, even something that is not so on the mega loud side of things but more refined to a acceptable noise level rather than the fake speaker etc & then people (like me) would not bother in going aftermarket for that real sound.  

You cannot turn it off via infotainment menus. There are only two user adjustable settings, being ON (slightly annoying) and ON-LOUD (really grating) when within Sport/VRS Mode.

VCDS can turn the SG off altogether or turn down the volume within either of the two pre-set modes. The other option is to unplug it altogether.

18 hours ago, stu83 said:

Had mine turned off through VCDS, hated the fake sound.

Quite like the sound through the 'standard' exhaust ... Mine's a pre-fl 230 so it has a different exhaust to the normal VRS anyway. Guessing it's the same on the 245.

What is different apart from the black colour exit pipes for the whole extra 10Bhp which the standard 220Bhp version can't handle? 

Just now, Redboy said:

What is different apart from the black colour exit pipes for the whole extra 10Bhp which the standard 220Bhp version can't handle? 

I can't remember off the top of my head what they changed, but it is a slightly different system - it mentions it on the spec sheet of the 230, along with the VAQ diff etc ...

It's noticeably more vocal than the standard system comparing it to a colleague's 'normal' VRS.

• Like 1

@Redboy When I got the full pipe removed from my 230 when fitting the Scorpion turbo-back system, the mechanics said that - apart from it being an absolute arse to take off (one big non-separated system) - the center silencer was hefty 'AF', compared to similar systems (Mk7 GTI etc.)  Whether that's to do with resonating / internal gubbins creating higher flow than the 'standard 220', they (and I) weren't sure - but the 230 definitely makes more sound than the 220...

That said, it's nothing compared to the system I've got on now.

For the sound actuator, I usually have the driving mode in 'Custom' with everything in sport mode, minus the engine (so I don't hear it). When I need 'Sport', the Scorpion drowns out any internal note anyway (but at a much more acceptable level than when it was non-resonated...!).

I might investigate some VCDS fixes though, as all it does now is add to motorway noise and I have to turn up Taylor Swift much higher to stop my ears bleeding (as much...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Orville said:

You cannot turn it off via infotainment menus. There are only two user adjustable settings, being ON (slightly annoying) and ON-LOUD (really grating) when within Sport/VRS Mode.

VCDS can turn the SG off altogether or turn down the volume within either of the two pre-set modes. The other option is to unplug it altogether.

Do you not have a custom setting? You can in my vrs and in my leon before it. 

Edited by stever750

Got to say that I never liked the sound generator in the MK 3 vRS TSI and there was no way to turn down/off, but never really a problem as music usually drowned the sound. However, in the FL vRS altogether better proposition. In individual set up you can adjust the sound and on sport mode I now quite like the sound as it has an altogether different sound that the previous model. has anyone else noticed the difference between the two models?