Adding speed camera alerts to Columbus satnav

Anyone know if the newer version of Columbus satnav fitted to the Superb 3 is suitable for adding speed camera alerts in visual and audible form. 

Hoping rustynuts will know the answer to this one. 

How new ? - my S3 MY17 Columbus (with the real buttons) takes speed cams fine with option for audio warning or not.

Cant comment on the latest (touch screen button) version of Columbus.

22 hours ago, kevin defty said:

Anyone know if the newer version of Columbus satnav fitted to the Superb 3 is suitable for adding speed camera alerts in visual and audible form. 

8 hours ago, Smudgers said:

How new ? - my S3 MY17 Columbus (with the real buttons) takes speed cams fine with option for audio warning or not.

Cant comment on the latest (touch screen button) version of Columbus.

My 2015 Columbus with real buttons can accept the on map speedcam symbols  but not audio and I'm hoping I can add both with my new S3 Superb. Also thinking I should be able to add them to our golf with Columbus touch screen satnav 

I just tried this today with my MY18 Columbus unit, I downloaded the latest files from Pocket GPS world, tried two SD cards and a couple of formatting options and couldn’t get it to work. 

I followed the instructions elsewhere on this forum and used the VW POI web portal, no dice. 

I probably overlooked something basic but haven’t had the time today to try any further. 

Edited by robdan

Robdan, not sure how much you know already so forgive me if i'm telling you what you already know.

Its a bit of a performance to get the POI into Columbus but to my mind its worth it.

Firstly you need to download a POI set  - Pocket GPS world is a good place to subscribe to as it has a large collection of POI including speed cams.

Then go here http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals/nav-companion.html?d1=discoverpro&type=poiNavigation

This is the VW website that builds the POIs into files that Columbus can recognise.

For full details go here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385044-poi/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-4928114 its a long thread but its worth the read and you will have a working set at the end of it.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

I have the POI speed cameras on my Columbus - but what is the point if you don't get an alarm when you are near them? None that I can see. You can't keep looking down to see if there is one in the area

You can get an audio "ping" when near speed cams or any other pois - Its up to user when creating file on VW site whether they enable it or not for that individual POI group.

4 minutes ago, Smudgers said:

You can get an audio "ping" when near speed cams or any other pois - Its up to user when creating file on VW site whether they enable it or not for that individual POI group.

Ah - sorry, didn't know that. My POIs didn't come via a VW site. Must look into this

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

Ah - sorry, didn't know that. My POIs didn't come via a VW site. Must look into this

If you're using an RNS Columbus (Superb II according to your car list) then don't waste any time 'looking into it' as, although the POI alert can be set in the POI file, it is not supported by the device.

It is supported and can be enabled if using an MiB Amundsen/Columbus, though the additional option of using an audio file as an alert is not, so we make do with a simple 'beep'.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2017 at 10:21, Smudgers said:

Robdan, not sure how much you know already so forgive me if i'm telling you what you already know.

Its a bit of a performance to get the POI into Columbus but to my mind its worth it.

Firstly you need to download a POI set  - Pocket GPS world is a good place to subscribe to as it has a large collection of POI including speed cams.

Then go here http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/infotainment/de/de/manuals/nav-companion.html?d1=discoverpro&type=poiNavigation

This is the VW website that builds the POIs into files that Columbus can recognise.

For full details go here https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/385044-poi/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-4928114 its a long thread but its worth the read and you will have a working set at the end of it.

Good luck

Hi Smudgers,

Thanks for taking the time to pull this together for me. I’ll give it another go at the weekend

On 08/10/2017 at 20:16, kevin defty said:

Following the links provided by Smudger I installed speed cameras and personal POI without an issue this weekend. Thanks for the help!

12 hours ago, IJWS15 said:

Why do you need them?

One day you will be telling the magistrates that your license is very important to you and that they should not give you a ban.

After 20+ years of driving (without a single point on my license, ever) I like the additional notice of potential hazards on the road...

Is Pocket GPS world imports still speed/red light camera POI positions (I haven't used for years) if so then it will be illegal in a few countries.

eg France (they only have to be present on the device to be done) , Germany and Switzerland

Mind you in some countries even the use of dash cams is illegal!

10 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Is Pocket GPS world imports still speed/red light camera POI positions (I haven't used for years) if so then it will be illegal in a few countries.

eg France (they only have to be present on the device to be done) , Germany and Switzerland

Mind you in some countries even the use of dash cams is illegal!

Hi Big John, they do offer speed and redlight cameras, but they can be downloaded and installed for specific countries to avoid those issues. 

They also make make it clear which countries have issues with cameras notifications from a legal perspective. 

Their wider POI database is really quite useful too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

If it's all TFD, i know a bloke who will send you a preformated database ready for installation via SD card (with audio warning) for a few quid.

It really wasn’t too bad TBH, the thing that threw me initially was using an old .txt file on the SD card and cleaning the hidden files that my Mac created. 

Once I’d done those two extra steps it worked perfectly. 

I haven't bothered with POIs as last time I tried I had an epic fail.

If I put in POIs and then want to add more later, do I just install them into the unit, or will that overwrite the existing ones ?

I used Skoda Connect earlier to upload the Pocket GPS World cameras as a CSV (and their icon) and then whilst in the car I could download this as an update. I didn't read the other guide to figure out how to display and warn about this new POI. But I've only had the car about 3 hours :)

More playing with it tomorrow maybe. Only done about 15 miles in it.

• 1 year later...