Speed camera POIs in Columbus (a new guide)

51 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Flumpie many thanks for that but I am having trouble running the python script on a Mac.

I am not quite sure how to associate your script with the personal POI file running Python3.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Hozz,

I've not tested on a Mac, but you need to do something like:

python /path/to/poifix.py /path/to/PersonalPOI/MIB2/MIB2HIGH

Using the PersonalPOI directory from the zip file created on the Skoda MyDestinations portal.

Just tried flumpie's python script and I'm happy to confirm that it works for me. Thanks very much flumpie, perhaps you could make a few quid by selling your fix to Skoda! ;0)

Only slight glitch is that the speed camera icon bmp that comes with the PocketGPSWorld speedcam database doesn't work with Skoda's poi creator. It works fine with the old VW poi creator but with the Skoda one it shows up blank on the Columbus. The workaround is to resize the speedcam icon bmp from it's original 22x22pixels to 39x39pixels and save it as a 24bit bmp BEFORE you import it into the POI creator.

Maybe one day Skoda will get their act together and fix their software at source to save us all this hassle... 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to Flumpie for the script, it works brilliantly.

Also thanks to Rifleman for sorting out the logo problem.

In order to avoid everyone having to resize their icons I attach the icons that I have used as they seem to work well.

Specs.bmp

pocketgps_uk_pmobile.bmp

Gatso.bmp

Redlight.bmp

Mobile.bmp

On 08/06/2018 at 14:01, flumpie said:

Updated poifix.py script so it works when you have more than 512KB of POIs

Many thanks for your script. I can now finally use the Skoda My Destination website to successfully convert my poi files. I've been struggling for days to get a result. It's invaluable since the VW site has shut down. I can also confirm it works for the Amundsen MIB2 files when it is applied to them. I really appreciate the time you have taken to compile it. You've done a great job! :biggrin:

Newbie from Australia both to Skoda and this site.  Loving my new car and I was eyeing up this thread prior to picking up my new Superb 162 on May 31. Came back on 1/6 to read the bad news about the VW site.  A bit disappointed but anyway I am back on track now thanks to Rainmaker, Flumpie, Rifleman and Hozz.   Thanks to you all for the guidance in getting this working for me. Will be sure to check back to offer advice to anyone struggling with this process.

Edited by Ashhere

Since we now have a working process once again I thought I would summarise. 

Below works on Windows 10.

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in ”Other - GPX” format. 

2. Unzip these files to a location on your computer. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that Hozz has provided in this thread (above) to that same directory. 

4.  Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

3. Run the “Import a new collection of POIs” tool.  Click on “Choose” and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select “Process” 

You should see some numbers in “List of my destinations” box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in “List of my destinations” increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select “Save my list of PPOI.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select “Save”

6. Unzip the files created in step 5.  Copy them to an SD card (keeping the same file structure) .

7. Download the poifix.py file created by Flumpie (above). Copy to C:\windows folder.

8. Run a command prompt on your computer.  

9. Navigate to the windows folder by typing cd \    

Hit the enter key

then 

cd windows

Hit the enter key

10. You should be at a prompt like this

11. Noting that e: drive is my SD card drive with the files on it:

At the c:\windows>  prompt type 

poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high

If successful you should see a screen similar to below. 

12. You now have usable files to upload to your Columbus per Rainmakers instructions on page 1 of this thread. 

Thank you once again to Rainmaker, Flumpie, Hozz and Rifleman and anybody else who has contributed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 09:52, Ashhere said:

Since we now have a working process once again I thought I would summarise. 

Below works on Windows 10.

1. Download the chosen files for your location from Pocket GPS World in ”Other - GPX” format. 

2. Unzip these files to a location on your computer. 

3. Go to the directory in which you unzipped the files and delete any existing .bmp files.  Copy the .bmp files that Hozz has provided in this thread (above) to that same directory. 

4.  Go to Skoda My Destinations site here:

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

3. Run the “Import a new collection of POIs” tool.  Click on “Choose” and the navigate to the directory to which you extracted the files from Pocket GPS World. Choose the first .gpx file. Give the collection an appropriate name (eg Gatso) and then choose the matching .bmp image for selected  gpx file. Select “Process” 

You should see some numbers in “List of my destinations” box if process has been successful. 

4. Repeat process in Point 3. above for any additional for each .gpx file that you have in that directory.  (As you process each pair of gpx and bmp files you should see you numbers in “List of my destinations” increase.  When you are complete you should see similar to below.

5. Select “Save my list of PPOI.  Choose a name for your consolidated list when prompted.  (This name will be the prefix on the zip file that this process creates). Select “Save”

6. Unzip the files created in step 5.  Copy them to an SD card (keeping the same file structure) .

7. Download the poifix.py file created by Flumpie (above). Copy to C:\windows folder.

8. Run a command prompt on your computer.  

9. Navigate to the windows folder by typing cd \    

Hit the enter key

then 

cd windows

Hit the enter key

10. You should be at a prompt like this

11. Noting that e: drive is my SD card drive with the files on it:

At the c:\windows>  prompt type 

poifix.py e:\PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2high

If successful you should see a screen similar to below. 

12. You now have usable files to upload to your Columbus per Rainmakers instructions on page 1 of this thread. 

Thank you once again to Rainmaker, Flumpie, Hozz and Rifleman and anybody else who has contributed. 

Thanks AshHere for the Instructions :) And Everyone else who contributed to resolve this issue...

Edited by NalaRewop

Thanks for this great advice but can anyone help with this on a Mac I’ve got all the camera files downloaded from pocketgps but can do anymore. I’m stuck as haven’t got access to any windows PC’s at all!

3 hours ago, atki81 said:

Thanks for this great advice but can anyone help with this on a Mac I’ve got all the camera files downloaded from pocketgps but can do anymore. I’m stuck as haven’t got access to any windows PC’s at all!

Firstly you need to follow steps 1-5 of Ashere's instructions above.

You then need to unzip the files and keep them somewhere convenient.

For Mac

I first of all dowloaded the latest version of Python for Mac which you can get here https://www.python.org/downloads/

I then chose to create a file in my documents called Python and put Flumpie's poifix.py file in there but you can put it anywhere you like.

I then created another file in my documents called POIfix and put the metainfo.txt file and Personal POI from Skoda in there. 

I then went to Launchpad and opened a Terminal window.

In the terminal window, in my case using the file locations above, I typed 

python3 /users/my name/documents/python/poifix.py /users/my name/documents/poichange/personalPOI/MIB2/MIBHIGH

In the above example my name is the name of my home folder under which the users folder sits.

Note that you must leave a space after python3 and poifix.py

In simple terms if you don't want to use my file structure do the following

python3 /path/to/poifix.py /path/to/PersonalPOI/MIB2/MIB2HIGH

The program will run, the files will be corrected and you can then copy the metainfo.txt and PersonalPOI files to an SD card and insert it in your Columbus following the instructions on page 1.

I also have CleanMyDrive2 installed on my Mac and generally use this to clear any junk files from the SD card after I have copied across the files.

I am not sure whether this is strictly necessary.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice but I still seem to be doing something wrong as the car won’t recognise my 16gb usb stick

6 hours ago, atki81 said:

Thanks for the advice but I still seem to be doing something wrong as the car won’t recognise my 16gb usb stick

Hi Atki81,

Do you have an SD card reader in your car?  If so give that a try otherwise I read here (translate from German)   https://www.skodacommunity.de/threads/columbus-und-usb-stick-formatierung.92776/ and a couple of other sites that the USB stick should be formatted as fat32.  To format just plug it in to a computer and right click on the drive and it will ask you whether you want it formatted in fat32 or ntfs.  You will lost all of the files on the USB of course so copy them somewhere else first and then back to your USB stick once it is formatted

Edited by Ashhere

Hi I've since borrowed a windows 10 laptop, formatted 2 different usb sticks a 16gb in FAT32 and a 64gb in exFAT. The first time I did it I'd forgotten to change the metepinfo2.txt file and it just tried to installed failed and rebooted. I went back swapped the file out with the one here and tried again and it doesn't find anything like it did before just sits on searching!! I'm so confused beyond belief?!? Do I need to run the poifix again as I've changed this file? PS.. I have no SD cards or SD card slots.

Edited by atki81

42 minutes ago, atki81 said:

Hi I've since borrowed a windows 10 laptop, formatted 2 different usb sticks a 16gb in FAT32 and a 64gb in exFAT. The first time I did it I'd forgotten to change the metepinfo2.txt file and it just tried to installed failed and rebooted. I went back swapped the file out with the one here and tried again and it doesn't find anything like it did before just sits on searching!! I'm so confused beyond belief?!? Do I need to run the poifix again as I've changed this file? PS.. I have no SD cards or SD card slots.

Atki81,  when you ran poifix did you get a similar screen to that below? (This would indicate it was successful.)

Please send through a photo of the file structure on your USB.  

D0048CAF-987D-4697-B770-CAFE597E100F.jpeg

2 hours ago, atki81 said:

You should not be changing the metainfo.txt file. The one that you unzip from the Skoda site should be left intact.

The only alteration is to the PersonalPOI file.

Thanks Ashhere and Hozz I've installed it now just got to wait to test it out and see what noise it makes when I get near one, I did select the Add Sound Alert option when setting up the POI so fingers crossed, thanks again.

1 hour ago, atki81 said:

Thanks Ashhere and Hozz I've installed it now just got to wait to test it out and see what noise it makes when I get near one, I did select the Add Sound Alert option when setting up the POI so fingers crossed, thanks again.

Excellent.  Happy to hear you have it sorted Atki81.

I can't seem to get past step 3 with this. I'm on Mac using Safari and the Skoda My Destinations site errors out in the browser with "Server Error in Application" and a bunch of code once I hit Import. Tried Chrome and Firefox browser and no luck. Tried changing file names, etc. and no luck. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, SBell said:

I can't seem to get past step 3 with this. I'm on Mac using Safari and the Skoda My Destinations site errors out in the browser with "Server Error in Application" and a bunch of code once I hit Import. Tried Chrome and Firefox browser and no luck. Tried changing file names, etc. and no luck. Any ideas?

Hi SBell,

Did you download the files from Pocket GPS World in “GPX-other” format?  This happened to me initially when I first downloaded in csv format.  I think the problem will be with the format of the files you have.

It kept doing it to me on my Mac so I borrowed at Windows 10 laptop, did it the same way and it all worked perfectly. It throws up a terminal error screen when you try and add the POI on the MyŠKODA website.

Yes, I downloaded the files in GPX Other and even tried a couple of other formats when that didn’t work. Must be something weird with the Mac. 

12 hours ago, SBell said:

Yes, I downloaded the files in GPX Other and even tried a couple of other formats when that didn’t work. Must be something weird with the Mac. 

I have both Mac and Windows and the same problem seems to be occurring on both.

I think the Skoda site has gone wrong.

Can I suggest we all email Skoda customer services to get them to sort out the problem.

Only by lots of people writing will they do something about it.

A quick query. I’ve installed the cameras POI and it’s all working except when I’m in Google Maps view I can’t see the camera locations but can hear them (They are visible in normal mapping). Is there a way to see them in google map view? Thanks 

Edited by atki81

Guys I'm still having issues with the SkodaMydest portal. Its now threw up a 'Not enough disc space' error. I assure you all there is enough space on the laptop so not sure why this is happening. I've followed the instructions from Ashhere, well up to importing the files but then get the error. (see attached) I was trying with CSV files and intend using GPX when I can get them download from pocketgps.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Skoda My Dest error.docx