Got new car but kind of stuck with a couple of things

Hi everyone I got my new Superb 220 today and it is everything I thought it would be, however when we got home I assumed the handbrake would be put on when the car was switched off but mine wasn't the car started to roll slightly, I was wondering what I have to do to make it do itself. i was also wondering how everyone has their info system connected to take advantage of the full Skoda Connect apps I was wondering if my personal hotspot on my phone was enough or I did think about using a myfi device I have lay around somewhere, any help gratefully received.

jrn6581, is your car a manual or DSG equipped car?

On a car with DSG it will have auto-hold and if turned on it will automatically apply the electronic parking brake when you turn off the ignition*. Does the manual car have auto-hold as standard? Note auto-hold needs to be on - it can be turned off and stays off until turned on again.

* I had auto-hold and EPB on a Passat and there were a few scenarios where it might not apply EPB automatically and so there'd be no brakes applied when you got out. I had to jump back in quickly. Note the Passat was manual.

Edited by rtj70

On all automatics (not just VAG) if you put it into park and take your foot off the brake pedal it will move slightly. It is just some very miniscule play in the transmission. If you engage the parking brake you will get no movement.

If you ever see American movies when somebody stops a car when parking you always see that movement. Americans and Canadians rarely use the parking brake unless parked on an incline.

On the Superb the parking brake doesn't automatically come on. However it does automatically disengage when you accelerate.

20 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Is that true of the latest one too? 

If the hill-hold is enabled and engaged (so a green (P) in the dash is lit up) then mine certainly turns on the electronic parking brake when I switch off the ignition.

In fact yesterday when hill-hold was on and I was stationary I turned off ACC (so disabled traffic jam assist) and the car put on the EPB immediately.

EDIT: Note my car was built week 38 2017... I got it last week.

Edited by rtj70

Hi guys I solved the problem and I'm a little red faced to admit what it was. But here goes, the button next to the parking brake switch wasn't lit so I pressed it and all is good. In my defence it's all new to me lol

13 minutes ago, jrn6581 said:

the button next to the parking brake switch wasn't lit so I pressed it and all is good. In my defence it's all new to me lol

You mean auto-hold was not turned on. Or hill-hold as I called it above. :)

Edit like a Passat CC I had a while ago, when you turn auto hold off it stays off until turned back on. In the Passat CC it would be on by default when you restart the car.

I also found a few scenarios in the Passat when it does not activate auto-hold (and you get used to it doing so) and therefore EPB not applied when you stop the engine. And in a manual car it will start moving on a slight gradient let alone a hill!

Edited by rtj70

23 hours ago, rtj70 said:

* I had auto-hold and EPB on a Passat and there were a few scenarios where it might not apply EPB automatically and so there'd be no brakes applied when you got out. I had to jump back in quickly. Note the Passat was manual.

Same here - I had a Passat R-Line, and if I pulled up, stopped, & engine off, all really quickly, the fully automatic handbrake would not engage.  And that's after locking the doors with the remote fob!  Neighbour knocked on the door 5 mins after I got home one day, to inform me my car had rolled down the road!!! :D

I found that a lot of people preferred leaving it in manual mode, and pressing the button themselves, but preferred it fully automatic.

Edited by gsf600y

auto-hold and hill-hold are two different things.

Button next to hand brake turns auto-hold on or off. Amber is on.  It will show a green version of the handbrake in the dash cluster.  It will automatically engage the handbrake when u turn the car off. When this happens, the green light turns red, indicating the handbrake is on.

9 minutes ago, JR RS said:

.........Amber is on.  It will show a green version...........the green light turns red,........

Off topic, but.......

HATE dash lights in cars.  Green/red/orange/amber/blah blah blah.

I'm fairly colour blind, and have to ask people what colour engine warning lights are, i.e. red (stop the car) or orange (take to a garage).

I'm terrible with LED's, e.g. battery chargers that turn from red (charging) to green (charged).

I wish they would make it customisable so that I could change green to blue and orange to white or something.

Traffic lights are fine :)

Had a google, another great example I also struggle with: Wifi Router lights!! http://www.color-blindness.com/2009/03/19/led-colorblind/

Edited by gsf600y

1 hour ago, gsf600y said:

Off topic, but.......

HATE dash lights in cars.  Green/red/orange/amber/blah blah blah.

I'm fairly colour blind, and have to ask people what colour engine warning lights are, i.e. red (stop the car) or orange (take to a garage).

I'm terrible with LED's, e.g. battery chargers that turn from red (charging) to green (charged).

bhahaha......very true.

my wife hates car tech, so can u imagine the shock horror on her face when i try and explain to her the logic of the lights in the Superb!!!
"so, when u press this button and the light turns on as amber, the auto-hold in on"

"when you press this button, and the light turns on as amber, the start-stop is off"

"when the lane assist thing turns amber, it is not active. when its green, its active"

"when the handbrake symbol is green, its not on, but when it turns red, then its on"

confusion confusion!!!
being color blind is probably better in the Superb!!!

I've just tried out the auto hold function on my 220 L&K. I always thought auto hold was on when the light WASN'T illuminated. But I was wrong. Blast those Skoda warning lights with their ambiguous meanings. 

Try this:

• Start the engine.
  • When you press the auto hold button until it lights up (orange).
  • Then press the parking brake button until it disengages. You can hear the noise of the mechanism (as long as you don't have 650 watts of sound blasting out :biggrin:).
  • Switch off the engine.
  • The parking brake comes on and its respective lights illuminate.

In the manual (page 151 of the English manual) it says that there are certain criteria for the auto hold to function:

• The drivers door is closed
  • Then engine is running or has been switched off by the start/stop system
  • On vehicles with auto transmission the selector lever is NOT in the N position

It also goes on to say that if the car is stopped on a forward incline and starts to roll away then switch on the parking brake.

SO it looks as though the parking brake can be activated automatically.

To all of you who own automatic car,please engage parking brake. If you dont you risk breaking a pin that blocks transmision when it is in park (and why would you leave car resting on transmision when it can reat on brakes). Also,if you don't have auto hold (or it is not turned on) pull your handbrake on before you let go of the brake pedal (to avoid that rocking motion). In the winter,when there is a danger of parking brake freezing,park on level ground,put car into neutral,let it roll fhose few cm (if any),than put ut in park and leave it like that. 

These steps become second nature,and can save you a lot of money and keep your car healthy.