Octavia vrs 245 DSG mpg and 0-60?

Hello I'm interested in a new Octavia VRS 245.

Can anyone tell me the difference in the mpg and the 0 to 60 time between the manual and the DSG gear boxes?

Also is the dsg suitable when most journeys are either short local ones, or long motorway ones. Not much traffic expected.

Thanks

DSG is great in all journeys - obviously less of a benefit on motorway journeys when most of your time is spent in a single gear. Kickdown and the ability to rapidly drop gears via paddles is handy for overtaking stuff though...

MPG and 0-60 between the manual and DSG version is negligible. DSG is technically an automated manual anyway, and there isn't a huge amount of additional weight over a manual. DSG gets 7 gears, manual only has 6 so officially the DSG has better figures for MPG and CO2. 0-60 officially is no difference but real world I'd expect a difference - not as easy to shift perfectly every time with a stick and a clutch.

Edited by ahenners

I do a mix of town and motorway driving and find the DSG awesome for both - moreso the town / stop start driving.

Obviously not as involving as the manual, but very relaxing when you want it to be and it'll shift up as early as possible to keep it as fuel efficient as possible. Plus it has an eco mode which affects the throttle response and can disable the clutch temporarily up to 80mph.

Also the DSG can take the power and torque increases that come with a remap!

The DSG is faster than the manual as all possible human error has been removed from the equation, on the move the difference is even greater.

Mash the pedal into the carpet & the DSG will do the rest for you, no determining whether to change down 1 or 2 gears even before clutch down, shift gear stick, clutch up. I often see cars being slowly pulled in up the road then a drastic drop by the other car as he changes gear manually, DSG's just pull & pull

A few youtube videos showing 0-62 times possible in a DSG & not in a manual, its just human error

36 minutes ago, Tim1631 said:

Who cares about the MPG :)

Depends on how many miles you do... I've done nearly 17k since I bought my VRS a year ago. Hard not to have at least a passing glance at it every now again when you spend nearly £200 a month on fuel :cool:

• Like 3

Thanks all.

I visited a showroom today where the guy advised that the acceleration is identical, and the mpg is slightly better on the DSG.

I do have one new query which I might post as a new thread:

What does the metallic red look like.

I think it's called velvet red. The dealer did not have this on any type of Skoda. They only had the basic (Corroda?) Red which I didn't like.

I can't find any photos of cars with this colour either.

Anyone have any info? Someone must have bought a vrs 245 with this by now?

9 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

As far as I am aware, the velvet red is NOT available for the 245

Currently 245 colours are Moon White, Corroda Red, Primer & Magic Black

The Skoda new car configurator page has the metallic velvet red as an option for the vrs 245.

As that same page does not allow you to pick the rally green or the blue for the vrs 245, I'm assuming the page is correct about the metallic velvet red option.

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

Depends on how many miles you do... I've done nearly 17k since I bought my VRS a year ago. Hard not to have at least a passing glance at it every now again when you spend nearly £200 a month on fuel :cool:

Same here - do about 15k / year.

I thought I was doing pretty well, but turns out I've only averaged 28mpg over the last 2500 miles!

Usually hit mid-late 30s on my crappy commute, so it must be the weekends and overtaking dawdlers that's brought the average down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aston100 said:

The Skoda new car configurator page has the metallic velvet red as an option for the vrs 245.

As that same page does not allow you to pick the rally green or the blue for the vrs 245, I'm assuming the page is correct about the metallic velvet red option.

Ok so the configurator has a new colour option, could be a while before you'll be able to order the car in that colour. The configurator & order system don't always work in the same way or even time/space/continium

2 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Same here - do about 15k / year.

I thought I was doing pretty well, but turns out I've only averaged 28mpg over the last 2500 miles!

Usually hit mid-late 30s on my crappy commute, so it must be the weekends and overtaking dawdlers that's brought the average down.

Wow that's not ideal, my average over the past year is 38mpg! Bloody weekend shopping trips and the odd spirited drive ruining it... :tongueout:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Wow that's not ideal, my average over the past year is 38mpg! Bloody weekend shopping trips and the odd spirited drive ruining it... :tongueout:

Yeah, I was a little confused to be honest. 

I travel 20 miles each way for work, usually averaging 35-37 on the way there (some motorway, lots of stop/start into Bham) and about 33mpg on the way home. So it did seem low.

Weekend trips are usually pretty short, so they're usually mid-low 20s as the car's not even warmed up.

On a good run it'll easily do over 40mpg, and I can increase the mpg by driving 'properly' but I usually give up on that after the 2nd or 3rd person on the way to work has tried to cut me up / reverse off their drive into me / driven for miles at 30 in a 60 and awoken the beast :D

This is all on super unleaded (97) too.

Edited by stu83

11 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Exclusive Colour, Velvet Red £695

Seat Leon Cupra has a "Desire Red" as a £695 option, possibly  the same / similar colour. 

Interesting thought,  a Cupra ST 300 is much more expensive new than a vRS 245 estate, but they seem to be better value as used cars.

58 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Look at stuff on the New Karoq it is coming in Velvet Red.

Just watched a YouTube video from a car show with a Karoq in velvet red.

Not sure it looks that different to Corrida red.

Not convinced the black wheels and black trim suit either of those reds.

Bit unhappy at the limited color choices for this model of VRS. especially as in my opinion the grey looks dreadful, the white has been done to death with black trim elsewhere over the years, the black car completely hides the black contrast trim, and these two reds look interchangeable and don't suit the black trim.

All my own opinion only of course, but I would have appreciated a greater range of colours, or at least a proper metallic dark red.

1 minute ago, Headinawayoffski said:

There are Corrida Red Karoq as well in Launch Videos.

Velvet red according to the description of the video. Does it look much different to Corrida red? Or is that actually Corrida and the uploader got the colour wrong?

Certainly a similar colour but a bit more like Technical Grey, but with a lovely protective Colour coat that can be polished and waxed and touched up easily giving invisible repairs.

If only that was true of other paint finished that are not Solid Colours.