All season tyres to replace Primacy HPs??

Hi,

I'm wondering about swapping the front factory fitted Michelin Primacy HPs (down to the warning line and not the best traction) for the Michelin CrossClimate tyres. Anyone tried these all year round? What do you think please?

Cheers,

I recently swapped my octavia 4x4 over to a set of audi 16x 225 winter Tyres e that I bought with alloys for £140. (Gumtree special) They are very good in the rain and frost. Hope this helps, summer Tyres are in a shed for when the sun comes out again. 

Plenty of discussion in the Tyres Zone, I also have the Crossclimate and IMHO they are pretty good. Also very good reviews at tyrereviews.co.uk

Edited by Yaumeister

7 hours ago, jcsphoto69 said:

I was told that I couldn't fit just 2 cross climate tyres they have to be a set of 4. Don't know if it's correct or just kwik-fit trying it on.

ATS were quite happy to sell me 2 for my last Octavia! 

Draw your own conclusions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/weatherproof/225-40-r18-92v-333493

Been on my vRS for 2-3 years & still have 5-6mm of tyre life all-round, recommend the Nokian weatherproof, great tyre. 

Agreed - Great tyres excellent in the rain not had to use them in snow as of yet.

Never fit 2 - always fit 4!  Other wise you will have an imbalance of grip across the car. If fit 2 just to the front ( assuming front wheel drive) then you risk the rear trying to overtake the front when grip is less at the rear. So IMHO always fit 4. If you fit 2 you are increasing the risk of causing an accident to which may invalidate your insurance! 

• Like 2

Agreed - mixing them isn't good  - I tried fitting 2 cross climates to the front of my Scout - the rears were Continentals and had loads of tread left. However, the car felt very wrong with this mix and is now much better with cross climates fitted all round. Haven't had a chance to try them in snow as yet, but they run quieter then the Contis and handle nicely.

• 1 month later...

Interesting line on the bottom here: https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/tyre-basics/how-to-read-a-tyre-side-wall

I expected a manufacturers website to say "on a vehicle" rather than just axel. Might stick the cross climates on the back and shift the HPs to the front . . . Or get some primacy 3s

Got cross climates on mine all round excellent, in all conditions, and a dam sight quieter, had them on my superb also 30K and still 4 mill on the front and 6 on the rear

Edited by skippy41
  • Like 1

All-season tyres have come along way in recent years. Quite a few manufacturers have pitched in as well as Michelin. I would also look at 

Continental AllSeason Contact

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2

Nokian Weatherproof

Michelin have come out with the CrossClimate+ too because of the advances of others.

They all have different strengths and weaknesses, which one is best depends entirely on the conditions you see most and think are most important. Same with any tyre, just more important when you stray from normal summer tyres. You need to do a bit of homework to see what fits your needs.

I use winter-biased all season-tyres in the winter on one machine. I do this for their wet performance and removes the need to be too bothered about changing them spring/autumn. I do sick summers on for the height of summer because their handling is not great for the odd occasion when the temperature gets much above 20.

However for the Octy I cannot fault the TS860. In the freezing cold, torrential rain or snow this winter, they have been nothing short of exceptional, even when pushed. The only thing I can fault them for is they don't go above 17".  The TS860s may solve this but not many sizes yet

Fitting the tyres with least grip to the rear is the general advice if you have a pair of worn tyres. The theory being understeer is easier to control than oversteer. The only problem with doing that with winters or all-seasons is the grip can change depending on the conditions, you can never be sure which end has the least grip. The car could go from understeer-heavy to oversteer-heavy by something as simple as hitting some water.

• Thanks 1

On 06/11/2017 at 13:15, bhoywonder said:

Agreed - Great tyres excellent in the rain not had to use them in snow as of yet.

3rd that! Put these on our Scout as soon as we got it (as originals aren’t really great for that type of car/use, but will go back on when lease ends) - nokians have been great tyres. I had D4s on the vrs also 

On 04/01/2018 at 14:20, flybynite said:

All-season tyres have come along way in recent years. Quite a few manufacturers have pitched in as well as Michelin. I would also look at 

Continental AllSeason Contact

Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2

Nokian Weatherproof

Michelin have come out with the CrossClimate+ too because of the advances of others.

They all have different strengths and weaknesses, which one is best depends entirely on the conditions you see most and think are most important. Same with any tyre, just more important when you stray from normal summer tyres. You need to do a bit of homework to see what fits your needs.

I use winter-biased all season-tyres in the winter on one machine. I do this for their wet performance and removes the need to be too bothered about changing them spring/autumn. I do sick summers on for the height of summer because their handling is not great for the odd occasion when the temperature gets much above 20.

However for the Octy I cannot fault the TS860. In the freezing cold, torrential rain or snow this winter, they have been nothing short of exceptional, even when pushed. The only thing I can fault them for is they don't go above 17".  The TS860s may solve this but not many sizes yet

Fitting the tyres with least grip to the rear is the general advice if you have a pair of worn tyres. The theory being understeer is easier to control than oversteer. The only problem with doing that with winters or all-seasons is the grip can change depending on the conditions, you can never be sure which end has the least grip. The car could go from understeer-heavy to oversteer-heavy by something as simple as hitting some water.

Cheers for this, and all. Really helpful. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 15:20, flybynite said:

Fitting the tyres with least grip to the rear is the general advice if you have a pair of worn tyres. The theory being understeer is easier to control than oversteer. 

The second part is right but the first part is wrong. 

Always fit the beat tyres to the rear of the car for the understeer/oversteer reason. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, a900ss said:

The second part is right but the first part is wrong. 

Always fit the beat tyres to the rear of the car for the understeer/oversteer reason. 

Absolutely right, serves me right for typing too fast and not checking it before hitting 'enter' :blush:

Meant to say: Fitting the tyres with MOST grip to the rear is the general advice if you have a pair of worn tyres. The theory being understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Especially on days like today....

924CDA65-BD06-4067-9342-686C8BA20EC6.jpeg

But I am in the Alps....

(RWD though)

Edited by a900ss

Actually  fit good tyres front and back, and do not fit worn tyres or keep any on because of days like that. 

All this understeer, oversteer is a load of living in parallel universes, you just look like being out of control to innocent road users in control.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Have swapped Summer/Winters over for the last ten years on our cars. But two years ago tried Cross Climates on our Octavia Mk2. They have been excellent and probably match our full winters on snow. 

Only area I think they are not as good is on ice but they are not far off. 

I'll be swapping all our vehicles onto Cross Climates when the current tyres are worn.

Lee