Fly Tipping.................

Auric Goldfinger

I think it's one of those emotive topics that highlights the difference between what feels "right" and what actually works economically. 

Should businesses that need to dump a lot of waste pay for this? Yes, why should the tax payer subsidise their business.

However, human nature is such that a portion of businesses will behave selfishly and fly-tip to avoid the cost.  

My view is that councils should spend the public's money carefully. 

If allowing businesses to use the tip for free, works out cheaper than cleaning up fly-tipping, then the council should do this. 

This way all businesses benefit, including the well behaved businesses.  The alternative is to punish the well behaved businesses and reward the scumbags.

Councils get fined by EU and UK for using landfill. The fines might actually mean it's cheaper to clean up flytipping than to collect and dispose of waste properly

5 minutes ago, dg360 said:

I think it's one of those emotive topics that highlights the difference between what feels "right" and what actually works economically. 

Should businesses that need to dump a lot of waste pay for this? Yes, why should the tax payer subsidise their business.

However, human nature is such that a portion of businesses will behave selfishly and fly-tip to avoid the cost.  

My view is that councils should spend the public's money carefully. 

If allowing businesses to use the tip for free, works out cheaper than cleaning up fly-tipping, then the council should do this. 

This way all businesses benefit, including the well behaved businesses.  The alternative is to punish the well behaved businesses and reward the scumbags.

I totally agree that businesses need to pay for Rubbish to be removed. The point I'm trying to get accross is that the White Van Man has to pay top dollar to use the tip, couple of bags of rubble and it's a £50 charge, he doesn't want to pay over the top prices so it gets fly tipped, the council then has to pay thousands of pounds to clean the mess up. why not lower the price, make it free and the council doesn't need to sprend thousands cleaning up fly tippers rubbish.

Our council has now set up a system where if you want your garden rubbish removed the brown bin is collected every 2 weeks but it's now a £100 per year. They havent lowered the council tax because this service has been withdrawn but now you need to pay more. If only one person op's into the service the wagon, fully crewed still comes down the street. Another back door tax which I/we don't have our grass cuttings collected, it now goes into a black bag and it goes into the General waste black wheelie bin.

5 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I totally agree that businesses need to pay for Rubbish to be removed. The point I'm trying to get accross is that the White Van Man has to pay top dollar to use the tip, couple of bags of rubble and it's a £50 charge, he doesn't want to pay over the top prices so it gets fly tipped, the council then has to pay thousands of pounds to clean the mess up. why not lower the price, make it free and the council doesn't need to sprend thousands cleaning up fly tippers rubbish.

The white van man is still a business though. If they aren't taking into consideration the disposal of waste when quoting for a job, then it wouldn't be too much of a stretch that they are not paying their taxes either. Probably undercutting a trader who is disposing of their waste responsibly and paying their taxes.

If businesses pay to dispose of their rubbish, regardless of size, then it is a fair and level playing field to all. If you say that white man van can get rid of his rubbish for free every business, shops, tradesmans, landscapers, garages will have a van full of rubbish going to the tips and council stand the costs of the disposal which means less services elsewhere or council tax increases so everyone pays whilst businesses profit.  

• Like 1

Just a small point, for Philip Hammond MP & Michael Gove MP.

Many a White Van Man or Woman are now in 'Silver Van's, or Metallic Blue, Red or whatever, Pickups, HGV's, nearly or brand new, and they are not Businesses, no permanent address from a registered or VAT registered address, no settled homes, no Council Taxes paid, not Business Taxes, nothing much in the way of anything even Mobile Home / Caravan Site fees.

Freedom to roam, freedom to park and freedom to move on costing the Local Authority / Tax payers a fortune.

The Government want Drone Technology used in cities and countrysides, about time they did.

ANPR now, and Laws for Weighing in scrap and ID's proof of ownership etc, so the UK Governments need more Mobile Police Force enforcement on the laws, and stopping vehicles, special squads on the roads and back roads.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30955933 

Did no Local Authority Employee, Police Officer or Councillor notice this as it started being dumped, or anytime during it being dumped asnd do no member of the public including those off duty bother reporting it, or did they and nobody in authority bothered their back end.

Where are MP's, just in Westminster during most of the week with an odd day back in their constituency.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Quite enjoyed that, especially the face plant off the car bonnet and these are probably the type of trader George was describing.

Edited by CWARD

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2017 at 10:01, Auric Goldfinger said:

The problem is, I was at the tip a few days ago and whilst unloading a builder arrived and called in at the office, the  man at the tip looked in the back of his van and I heard him say, " That will cost you around £45 to tip " The reply was " Ok mate I'll leave it, I'll get rid of it myself "  Guess where that loads going. IF it was fly tipped it wil cost the Council/tax payer a damn sight more than £45 to clean up the rubbish. Why not take the rubbish for free  and save the cost of the clear up.

A previous post of mine mentioned this problem. We had a similar problem. Every empty council property had the front garden filled with 3 piece suites/ etc/etc. On a local RA meeting, we heard the head of a local council complain of this problem. His solution- a skip, free for residents to dump stuff. Cost- one skip. The result, a Borough area free

from fly-tippers.  So to LA where there's a  tipping charge, I'd   ask-  "is it cheaper to remove household stuff for free, vs paying to clean up fly tips. "

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I see the result of fly tipping when out and on my bike but todays really pithed me off.

They could have dumped it roadside where it might get cleared up, they would still have gone unseen,

but the barstewards tipped it right down a slope in a lovely place where it will be a real PITA for whoever has to get it out, and somebody will.

Dumped off the road on the left side of 2nd picture.

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1617.JPG

DSCN1618.JPG

Edinburgh Council announced recently they want to charge £25 a year to remove your garden waste..... most of the residents in Edinburgh have told them to bolt. It’s another tax to fund their so called tram extension project.....  I have thought about signing up but feel for the amount of times I actually put out garden waste in a bin to recycle that I am better off bagging it up and taking it to the tip and emptying the bags out at the garden refuse part for free......

As some residents of Edinburgh have said, it’s only going to encourage fly tipping of garden waste outside the tips.....

Davy

Skodaboy1983,  

There is a £25 charge in Angus for a Garden Waste Bin Collection for a property, but you can take your garden waste to the Recycling Yards.

Sadly the council have reduced there hours of opening, and this has a lot to do with even more fly tipping out and about.

Many are not going to queue to get into Recycling Yards, or pay the fee that certain vehicle types are required to.

45 minutes ago, Offski said:

Skodaboy1983,  

There is a £25 charge in Angus for a Garden Waste Bin Collection for a property, but you can take your garden waste to the Recycling Yards.

Sadly the council have reduced there hours of opening, and this has a lot to do with even more fly tipping out and about.

Many are not going to queue to get into Recycling Yards, or pay the fee that certain vehicle types are required to.

It's £27.50 a bin now George. I was £55 for my two.

Funnily enough Angus council changing the recycling centre times to make them mostly unusable to working residents has resulted in an increase in fly tipping. My old man has said the queues for the tip are now often right out into the road 20-30 cars long.

Also the council in its wisdom removed all the bins from laybys to save money on collecting them and again strangely enough the laybys are now filled with rubbish.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/654904/opening-hours-at-angus-recycling-centres-extended-in-response-to-problems/

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/660264/rise-in-fly-tipping-blamed-on-angus-skip-changes/

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/640914/angus-council-told-to-clean-up-its-act-after-a90-litter-branded-disgusting/

• Like 1

North Devon Council charge £36 per year and Southampton Council used to charge £35 (might have gone up since 2016) for a garden waste bin, so £25 or £27.50 seems cheap.

What really annoys me is that many councils charge for waste from improving your home (such as an old bag of mortar or wood offcuts) yet they want us to improve our homes to make them more eco-friendly. I'm OK with them charging commercial companies or builders but not homeowners.

7 hours ago, Offski said:

I see the result of fly tipping when out and on my bike but todays really pithed me off.

They could have dumped it roadside where it might get cleared up, they would still have gone unseen,

but the barstewards tipped it right down a slope in a lovely place where it will be a real PITA for whoever has to get it out, and somebody will.

Dumped off the road on the left side of 2nd picture.

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1617.JPG

DSCN1618.JPG

Offski- I'd refer you to my last post, and ask- WHICH came first- Fly tipping or council charges? in this neck of woods, folk don't need to flytip (except furniture) . Any metal /whitegoods used to be collected by blokes with white vans. But of late, most white goods are left behind and only the bits worth cash ( compressor + copper on fridges+freezers) are taken, leaving council to clean up the chassis, and the gasses escape to air. Who pays- us ultimately for both the removal and the futile investigation. Why not cut out the middleman and have council remove goods and not spend money on investigation. That would leave the investigation team free to go after those who dumped stuff willy nilly, and the bonus- full public support for investigation .

What ****es me off over here is that waste electrical equipment from batteries to fridges and computers are all free to drop at LA or private waste facilities as the WEEE charge added to the purchase price of a new appliance covers the rwcycling charge of the old one

Our local recycling center doesn’t allow commercial vehicles/transits to drive into the center to dump their waste/rubbish................so they park outside.................................and wheel barrow it in!

£25 for greenwaste is cheap - Sheffield charge £67.50 for 'up to' 10 collections, depending upon how far through the year it is...

We don’t even have the choice in paying for the green waste to be collected. You can buy compost bins from the council or take it to the waste centre. 

5 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Our local recycling center doesn’t allow commercial vehicles/transits to drive into the center to dump their waste/rubbish................so they park outside.................................and wheel barrow it in!

They've banned 'on foot' recycling from the centres, but no idea if it is for that reason.

I know if you own a private van or pickup they won't let you drop without a letter form the council saying you have proved no business use for it.

We have an old ***** beside us who runs a TV aerial and satellite dish installation service using a MB M Class & LR Discovery with magnetic business signs attached to the sides and bonnet.

I've seen him at the local non commercial LA recycling centre removing tons of cabling, TV aerials and satellite dishes from the boot. When he has driven a short distance away from it, he gets out and applies his magnetic business signs. 

*his house is on the corner of a busy T-junction and he parks his vehicles right in the corner of it, or half on the pavement and half on the road so you cannot see any vehicles approaching from your left, even though he has a massive drive that could fit all his vehicles in it. 

About 50 yards from our local recycling centre we nearly always see a van or truck set up displaying a sign, leave your scrap metal here :notme:

Whilst on the subject, I was watching  and found amusing (not really:)) in the queue for the tip a very low Astra with a splitter on the front trying to negotiate the new speed ramps they had installed on the exit lane. The first ramp must be around a breeze block high, his car I guess could barely get over a normal house brick size without damage. He parked up and went over to the cabin, don't know what happened next as I had to move on into the tip, he was still there when I drove out.

9 hours ago, skomaz said:

£25 for greenwaste is cheap - Sheffield charge £67.50 for 'up to' 10 collections, depending upon how far through the year it is...

Currently Stockport council do not charge for emptying the green wheelie bin every week all through the year. The bin can contain garden waste up to 4" diameter and kitchen waste bagged up in biodegradable bags (also supplied foc) https://www.stockport.gov.uk/about-your-bins/green-wheelie-bin-and-food-waste-caddy

but now  thousands of motorists are driving vehicles from all over to get to these centres , polluting the air with short journeys,using fuel needlessly all because the councils are trying to save OUR money and our council has spent millions on new trucks because the existing ones couldn’t pick up the new bins,you can’t make it up.

• Like 2