What annoyed you today?

Aspman

It didn't really annoy me other than it being a waste of time but got a multi car quote for the Maserati + Suzuki - £1330.
Cost to switch cars on Suzuki policy £65. Cost of new policy on Suzuki £200. So £265 Vs £1330. I suspect they didnt want the business but they coud have said up front without wasting an hour of my time.

Costa coffee shops

I took my wife to our big hospital today for treatment (postponed from an abortive trip two days ago). Although it is Good Friday and much of the hospital is not working, A&E is still open, as was my wife's outpatients unit, with really nice helpful nurses working flat out. With an hour to fill in I went in search of refreshment. The WVS cafes all shut for the Bank Holiday so I ended up with no choice but the Costa coffee bar in the main foyer.

It must be an Italian abbreviation for "Costa Lotta". I bought a paper mug of hot chocolate (always a safer choice rather than stewed tea or unpleasant coffee) plus a tiny (60 gram) brownie. Total cost: £5:90.

The prices charged by franchises within our big hospitals are exhorbitant. Nearly six quid for a drink and a tiny brownie. I shall now refer to these shops as Costa Lotta.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

When is a Co-Op store not a Co-Op store?

When it's a Southern Co-Op store!

I've been a Co-Op member for over 4 years but when I tried to scan my Co-Op membership card in the Southern Co-Op convenience store on Winsley Road in Bradford-on-Avon it complained it was unrecognised. The assistant asked me what I has scanned so I said "my Co-Op membership card" and showed it to him, he replied that's a "Co-Op membership card we don't accept them, we only accept Southern Co-Op membership cards".

I was gob smacked - 160 years the Co-Op has existed since it was formed in Manchester in 1863 and still they haven't sorted out that EVERY shop that displays the "Co-Op" logo SHOULD accept Co-Op membership - it's a total farce.

• Like 1

I think I've accidentally shredded the V5 for the Mrs mini thinking it was an old one for another car :doh:

• Groan 3

5 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I think I've accidentally shredded the V5 for the Mrs mini thinking it was an old one for another car :doh:

Ooops! ☹️

G

4 hours ago, Aspman said:

I can't remember exactly how, but you can get a replacement from the DVLA.

37 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

you can get a replacement from the DVLA.

Unfortunately in exchange for 25 squid 😞

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

Edited by MikeTheThinker

1 minute ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Unfortunately in exchange for about 20 squid 😞

25 quid now i believe ,you can do it online its straightforward enough i think

1 minute ago, Mickvrs220 said:

25 quid now i believe ,you can do it online its straightforward enough i think

Yeah £25, but I'm still annoyed

The increase in road tax isn't new news, given it's been in the works for a while, but I think it's just hit me really. I'm now £200 for the Fabia... was £160 when I bought the car. That's not terrible in the grand scheme of things. What is, is the new price for the Focus. Being a pre-2001 and a 1.8, it's £325 for the year, £341 if I pay monthly via DD. Which, last time I checked, is in the worst case, 341x more than I paid for it. 

It's definitely not cheap, sadly, so when it comes time to return it to the road, one of the cars will stay, the other will either go on SORN or get sold on, not sure yet. Grrrrrr.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Idiocy etc.

14 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Focus. Being a pre-2001

If you hang on to it until it's 25 years old I'm told there's no tax to pay.  I haven't checked that myself but it might be worth a look see.

• Like 1

BA website giving me grief today trying to book flights and car rental. And the prices since I last booked in 2021.

€800 for return and car hire for five days 😳

3 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

If you hang on to it until it's 25 years old I'm told there's no tax to pay.  I haven't checked that myself but it might be worth a look see.

That'd be ideal, as it turns 25 in December. However, it seems the minimum age is 40 years old. :sadsmile:

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

1 minute ago, @Lee said:

BA website giving me grief today trying to book flights and car rental. And the prices since I last booked in 2021.

€800 for return and car hire for five days 😳

yeah, im looking at options to bring the boys to alton towers (cbeebies land) or drayton manor (thomas land) in July.

flights for 4 into liverpool, manchester, east midlands, or Birmingham are all around €300 on a family plus fare (bags car seats and ****e..), car hire for a week in an octy or similar another 400 odd.. and then accommodation and park passes... id nearly have us in spain for a fortnight for the same money, but its too hot for our 2 at that time of year 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

Hate to say it but that's not the case...   I still pay full whack for my 1995 MX5

• Sad 1
  • Crying 1

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

Hate to say it but that's not the case...   I still pay full whack for my 1995 MX5

Bummer!  I was hoping (several of) my motorbike/s would qualify. 😞

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

That'd be ideal, as it turns 25 in December. However, it seems the minimum age is 40 years old. :sadsmile:

I clicked on the link in your unedited post and was trying to work out the relationship between a nearly 25-year old Focus and an exploding house ....

• Haha 2

@AnnoyingPentium

think about it this way.... over here a pre 2008, displacement based rates, 1.9 diesel will cost you €670 (1896cc) or €720 (1901+cc so a vectra gen c iirc or a 2l accord) 670 is £597 at todays exchange rate... and i pay €200 a year on 2013 1.6tdi octy based on post 2008 co2 rates.... so is swmbo's 1l tsi arona..

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I clicked on the link in your unedited post and was trying to work out the relationship between a nearly 25-year old Focus and an exploding house ....

Sorry, that was a pasting error, from another conversation, my computer is out get me this evening. :D

11 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

@AnnoyingPentium

think about it this way.... over here a pre 2008, displacement based rates, 1.9 diesel will cost you €670 (1896cc) or €720 (1901+cc so a vectra gen c iirc or a 2l accord) 670 is £597 at todays exchange rate... and i pay €200 a year on 2013 1.6tdi octy based on post 2008 co2 rates.... so is swmbo's 1l tsi arona..

Suddenly, I feel a bit better. Bloody hell that's steep.

17 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

@AnnoyingPentium

Blimey...   What would my old 2005 2.2 diesel civic have been then? 

16 minutes ago, skomaz said:

You've got two kidneys, aye? Well, you'd probably end up one short trying to tax it over there it seems. :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

950 or 994 depending on cc's

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

if you have any car brought to one of our islands, uf you live on them (Arran Islands for example) its a flat 102 per year, and iirc NCT (mot) exempt...

ive heard some mad stories about island cars though :D

Edited by mac11irl