Glow plug light flashing

Hi all

can anyone give some advice please.

just came round a roundabout which then goes up a hill and noticed no response from the throttle then seen the glow plug light flashing. Car didn’t seem to go much faster than 30 ( limp mode ?? Never had car before with one). Made it home about 1.5 miles. Knocked car off, left it a short while and then restarted but no flashing light so went for a short drive and it was fine.

Anything to worrie about ???

I would get the car diagnosed to see what it is but as it has gone away for now I would say its safe to drive around.

Don't put it off though or it may end up letting you down somewhere

As mentioned you should get the fault code read, the flashing EML light almost always logs a fault code.

Once you have the code you can check it out here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

Almost all limp-home mode actuations are sensor, turbo or EGR related.

You might not see it again for a while but it will be back. Better to get it checked and sorted. The next time it appears is likely to be just before you set off on holiday!

• Like 2

Same has just happened to mine, scanned it and came back with 009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit.  (P2563).  It will be fine for a few days and comes back on again.  I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have the full 170bhp for the last few months but never threw up an error code.  I strongly suspect the wastegate actuator on the turbo is the problem.  Part number for it is 03L 198 716 A.  They are €215 from the dealer in Ireland.

45 minutes ago, TwinCamMan said:

Same has just happened to mine, scanned it and came back with 009571 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit.  (P2563).  It will be fine for a few days and comes back on again.  I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have the full 170bhp for the last few months but never threw up an error code.  I strongly suspect the wastegate actuator on the turbo is the problem.  Part number for it is 03L 198 716 A.  They are €215 from the dealer in Ireland.

It's reporting a fault with the position sensor on the actuator, so check that first. It could be something as simple as a frayed wire, especially when the fault is intermittent. Also, the CR170 doesn't have a wastegate on the turbo, it's a variable geometry turbo.

• 4 weeks later...

Ohh i ‘ve had the same glow plug flashing just today. Same emergency mode with less power , no strange noise from the engine. 

After restart it is okey for a while then coming again. 

I also saw a lot of entries about brake pedal switch error, could it be also for superb? (I forgot to check the brake lights)

Based on the manual, it shouldnt...

DFDB0D35-7A86-40A2-A32B-9E4308AFF9BD.jpeg

Edited by Juhagpl

6 minutes ago, Juhagpl said:

Ohh i ‘ve had the same glow plug flashing just today. Same emergency mode with less power , no strange noise from the engine. 

After restart it is okey for a while then coming again. 

I also saw a lot of entries about brake pedal switch error, could it be also for superb? (I forgot to check the brake lights)

Based on the manual, it shouldnt...

DFDB0D35-7A86-40A2-A32B-9E4308AFF9BD.jpeg

The brake light switch is a common fault with the glow plug light flashing... however ONLY if it has not gone into limp mode.

Btw, does anyone knows any general problem which could occure by this lamp? I have 184k km... car is 2011, CFGB engine 170hp.

interesting that i made a 500km trip before the lamp came, half of it was 160km/h.

23 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The brake light switch is a common fault with the glow plug light flashing... however ONLY if it has not gone into limp mode.

I'm glad I took the time to read this. When I got my car back in April I had this flashing light appear a few times but only for a few seconds each time and never any engine issues or limp mode and no logs left in the ECU. Could be this brake switch issue. Wonder how the system knows when the switch should be on or off.

So today i went to the service. It was a bit interesting but they were quite booked, so i nearly intended just to get the failure code.

they read out, but the guy only said it is egr valve , that needs to be replaced. 

Since the failure is not exist anymore they just deleted the failure flag, and i am now worried a bit.

unfortunately they did not tell me the code itself just they assume it could be some smut stucked to the valve but possibly gone. (Since they made it free of charge i did not start to blame about the code)

so now working fine.

is that really possible that there is a special code were the complete egr must be changed? Or how do you have the experience about it?

again i have 184k km in the car...

The EGR is a weak point on the Superb.

Water ingress is one of the most common issues.

Carbon / soot deposits can cause issues on higher mileage cars too, especially those that only run short journeys or are driven very sedately.

Unfortunately due to their design and also their location they are expensive to replace.

Has your car had the VAG emissions fix carried out recently? This is known to place additional loads / stress on fuel and exhaust related components.

Skoda UK (I appreciate you aren't in the UK) are providing a warranty on the EGR for cars that have undergone the rework...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure/

Might be worth asking Skoda Hungary?

Since mine started flashing for a short period of time I haven’t been near dealer to get it checked but touch wood it hasn’t happened again.

just done short of a 300 mile round trip today and never missed a beat 

fingers crossed 

I think i will wait a bit. I only hope not coming back on the road back with my son:)

i have not yet made the emission fix recall, bit it would be one option now to fix it then have some guarantee on the egr :) if it is true also in hungary...

22 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

I'm glad I took the time to read this. When I got my car back in April I had this flashing light appear a few times but only for a few seconds each time and never any engine issues or limp mode and no logs left in the ECU. Could be this brake switch issue. Wonder how the system knows when the switch should be on or off.

Brake switch is actually 2 switches so if one operates and the other doesn't it knows something is wrong.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Brake switch is actually 2 switches so if one operates and the other doesn't it knows something is wrong.

When pressed one of the switches puts 12v to the ECU & Brake lights,  the other breaks a 12v supply to the ECU

• Like 3

Thanks TWM & Nige, so it is caused by conflicting information from 2 switches.  Maybe one is a bit lazy so changes state later than the other, possibly due to dlow/light pedal application?  Do we know if this is a single package with 2 switches or are they separate switches?  And also if they are mechanicAl of pressure sensing? 

4 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

Thanks TWM & Nige, so it is caused by conflicting information from 2 switches.  Maybe one is a bit lazy so changes state later than the other, possibly due to dlow/light pedal application?  Do we know if this is a single package with 2 switches or are they separate switches?  And also if they are mechanicAl of pressure sensing? 

Its all in 1 package so should operate together. If you have VCDS you can see the two outputs in the measuring blocks change as you press the pedal.

I had same problem with my first mk11 superb about 4  years ago,glow plug flashing and car then went into limp mode. Egr valve failure acc to skoda garage who done diagnostics and  wanted minimum 7 hours labour charge for job as they said they would renew egr and reckoned pipes etc would also need replacing as they too would be gummed up with carbon. The price they quoted was over £1,300 but just by chance a work colleague had same problem a month before and recommended an ex VW Audi mechanic to me. He said the egr valve would need replacing but could not work out why skoda garage had also said pipes needed replacing too as he had never had the need to replace them,nor could he understand 7 hour labour charge. Anyway,if memory serves me the part and labour were about £420

Edited by Errybee
Missed word
  • Like 2

Have just had the same happen..

Occasionally displays the glow plug warning light on at start up but then goes off when pulling away, sometimes appears while on the move but then goes off again after a couple of mins. Took it to a local garage. They plugged into it reported the fault was with the actuator (wastegate). Booked it in for this Tuesday and they want £320 to replace the actuator.

Being quite a sceptical person, I'm very interested in the comments in this thread that it could be a faulty brake light switch instead.

My question is this; if too low a pressure (actuator sticking open), or over boost (sticking shut), surely the car would run roughly and / or go into 'limp home mode'?.. The car runs perfectly, no power loss at all. Very smooth as usual with no noticeable unusual engine characteristics. Would this be the case if the actuator was faulty?

I know £320 is probably much cheaper than what Skoda would charge but it's still a lot compared to a tenner for a brake light switch..

Can anyone offer any experience or advise on this?

Thanks

The flashing coil can be many things including the MAF sensor, you will need to plug in a diagnostic tool or VCDS, I hope it isn’t the EGR but this is a common fault on this engine