Fuel filler spillage drain

ktm690rr

Does anyone know a good way to free it up. As my car is a TDi I think the diesel after a while begins to clog up. I've tried poking it with a rigid wire, no success. Ideas anybody. Thanks.

M

How about gently "poking" it thru with something flexible like auto electrical wire or blowing it thru.
I don't think that in 3 years I've spilt anything in there.

40 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@ktm690rr - The small hole beneath the one the pump nozzle goes in? If so that's an air vent, not a spillage drain.

Quite.
I give the area a wipe with the paper towels provided in the garage every now and then, as it seems to collect the dust.

If that hole was actually an air vent and not a drain why is it at the lowest point where anything spilt would go down?

In every car I've owned it's been a drain for any water or fuel that gets in there.

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

It is illegal to fit an overflow that would exit to the ground, so that hole connects to a ppe that both acts as an overflow back to the tank AND as a vent for the tank.

A vent that is in the low point of the filler that will drain water into the fuel and as you say dust too!

Plastic strimmer line is pretty good for clearing blockages in that drain pipe.

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 1

I believe that is a drain purely intended for water.

I think that all modern cars have to have a sealed fuel system? (it is illegal for modern vehicles to vent fuel vapour into the atmosphere?) There is an activated charcoal filter under the bonnet that air/fumes is bled through via a solenoid operated valve:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/yeti/power_unit/12/63;_77_kw_tsi_engine/fuel_supply_gas_operation/activated_charcoal_container_system/checking_the_fuel_tank_venting/

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muddyjim said:

I believe that is a drain purely intended for water.

I think that all modern cars have to have a sealed fuel system? (it is illegal for modern vehicles to vent fuel vapour into the atmosphere?) There is an activated charcoal filter under the bonnet that air/fumes is bled through via a solenoid operated valve:

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/yeti/power_unit/12/63;_77_kw_tsi_engine/fuel_supply_gas_operation/activated_charcoal_container_system/checking_the_fuel_tank_venting/

Jim

I wish it were so in Australia.

I’ve noticed America (or is it just California) has a bellows type of fuel nozzle which, I assume, collects the displaced fumes.

Out here I try to stand upwind of the poisonous fumes exiting the tank when filling up.

To the subject at hand ......it’s not just iced up is it ......or a kink in the water drain tube?.

8 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

modern fuel systems are designed not to drain if the car is involved in an accident, overturn etc so the drain is purely for spilt fuel when refilling!

And any water that gets in there.

• Like 2

Mmmmm, I have wondered about this "drain/vent" as on approx 3 out of 5 fillings I get considerable fuel blowback and spillage. Never happened with my previous Yeti or other cars,  any ideas?

From my observations there appear to be 2 ‘vents’ - one internal.....for extraction of trapped air (my Cit will take 5L after the third click if I’m patient enough) and the external one for drainage of rain/hose water from the fill area. 

^^^ 'Venting',  which some will do to extend a vehicles range on a trip with maybe 7 more litres in, 

different doing it on a petrol or diesel and certainly not something you want to do if you are not carrying on to use the extra fuel taking up the expansion space before parking a vehicle.

Then you need to know what system the vehicle have to not contaminate the canister that might be fitted which can get flooded.

Yes, you're right. It does clog up from time to time due to dirt "sticking" onto diesel drips.

I've had the wheel arch liner out, and it is only a drain, which can be cleared, as already suggested, by something semi-rigid - WD40 straw.

It's nothing to do with fuel tank venting, which is all contained within the filler pipe. The length is quiet short, so careful poking soon clears the muck out.

• Like 4