Superb MkIII facelift

My current PCP deal is due to end in January 2019 so I'm starting to look at my options. Under that I have a 2016 Vrs Tdi.

I was thinking of upgrading to a superb sportsline 190bhp but was wondering is it due a facelift soon?

2 hours ago, 2SHEA said:

My current PCP deal is due to end in January 2019 so I'm starting to look at my options. Under that I have a 2016 Vrs Tdi.

I was thinking of upgrading to a superb sportsline 190bhp but was wondering is it due a facelift soon?

The Superb is supposed to be facelifted in early 2019.  Not sure how that would fit in with your timeframe for an early 191 but I'd imagine Skoda will change over to the newer model in the factory build from the back end of 2018.  The Sportline would be a nice replacement for the vRS!

1 hour ago, xman said:

Only disappointment for me ordering 1.4 tsi version now is knowing the 1.5 tsi will almost definitely be going in the facelift.

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't know whether it would be at all representative, but I recently read a head-to-head review of the Seat Ateca with current 1.4 versus the Skoda Karoq with the new 1.5 engine, and the reviewer felt the old 1.4 was the better of the two engines.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, teebs said:

Revised front lights

I just hope that they will not go in the same direction (design) with the headlights, as they did with Octavia 3 FL... :)

Edited by U241170
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 2SHEA said:

If they didn't make such a mess of the Octavia facelift I would have got another one. I'm very happy with the Octavia vrs. But them split headlights aren't great.

This is why I also switched to Superb from Octavia VRS TDI. But now I don't regret. I don't need really the huge space of the Superb; but it is a nicer place to be in, comparing to Octavia.

My current deal will end in mid 2020, so definitely by then the facelift will be on sale. How it will look like, we will see... :)

12 hours ago, facet edge said:

Don't forget this is a new engine, it will be better to let them get the bugs out of it. Preferably without you as a tester!

Daughter got an A3 with the 1.5 last month, not done 1000 miles but will see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

That face-lift predicament is pretty quick :D now I might be sorry I got mine in August 2017. The only 2 things I'm missing in Superb are LED headlights/high beams and LCD dashboard :D. hopefully L&K and Sportline will have better gaugues design. 

5 hours ago, New2018 said:

The digital dashboard could be retrofitted just in the Passat and Kodiaq. 

If the face lift is a bmw style FLwhere keeping the headlights shape the same but changing the internal design, you should be able to do retrofit too. 

I guess so, but the price for LED headlights will probably be sky rocket! There is also a chance they will pick some new way of leds like Seat/Audi where there are individual leds, that wouldn't be compatible with current Superb would it?

On 1/8/2018 at 15:41, xman said:

Only disappointment for me ordering 1.4 tsi version now is knowing the 1.5 tsi will almost definitely be going in the facelift.

Don't worry . I've just bought the 1.4 knowing that the 1.5 is coming and the FL.

I'm pretty sure the 1.5 will have particle filter on the MY2019 because of the new emission (EURO 6c/6d) regulations.

The 1.4 proved its reliability with the last iteration; it solved all the problems that previous generations had. The only weird thing is the ACT which turns the engine into 2 cylinder mode at low power.  All of that for economy and environment. 

Those days I don't want to be part of the beta tester program; you know what I mean. VAG has done it a lot in the past years.

Edited by kpk1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, kpk1 said:

Those days I don't want to be part of the beta tester program; you know what I mean. VAG has done it a lot in the past years.

You are absolutely correct. I should know about that only too well with being a victim of the 1.2 tsi camchain saga. (They all do that didn't you know......)

Interesting comment about the particle filter for my2019, I was quite unaware until you mentioned it. So I googled it and....

The Euro 6 regulation introduced for the first time a limit to the Particulate Number (PN, # of particles/km) and Particulate Matter (PM, g/km) for petrol vehicles. The updated Euro 6d regulation brings the limit on the particulate, commonly known as soot, in line with the requirement for diesel vehicles. As a consequence, new petrol cars being sold from June 2018 will need a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter) to comply with the emissions regulation.

from https://www.smmt.co.uk/2017/11/emissions-regulations-gpf-challenges-petrol-vehicles/

:o

Edited by xman
Gpf's are coming!
  • Like 2

Further to the comment about Euro 6c and 6d regs coming into force.

This might explain a number of recent changes. One is the inclusion of adblue SCR on diesel models that last year didnt have it. The other has been the mysterious 5g/km brochure increase in certain petrol (1.4tsi) models and certain diesel models (150ps iirc) but not in others over the last year. It might be the latest 1.4tsi engines already have GPF incorporated.

It also might be behind this years across the board £615 price increase with no spec change?

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

The 2.0TDI is rated around 105 g/km of emissions with DPF.

The 1.4TSI is around 120 g/km without GPF.

The 1.5TSI is around 120-130 g/km without GPF.

I'm not talking about 2.0 TSI 220 bhp or the new Budack cycle 2.0TSI 180bhp because these are high emission engines, around 170 g/km and greater.

Imagine that those gasoline engines to reach a pick value of 100-105, like there diesel counterparts, will have GPF. Don't be surprised to see AdBlue on the 2.0 TSI 220/280bhp.

The particle filter is one of the reasons that even a hight torque engine like the diesel seems to be less brutal than its previous generations.

In the end I bought the 1.4 for the simplicity comparing it to 2.0TDI. If you look at the acceleration intervals these two engines are on par. The diesel has the edge when it comes to towing something or heavy luggage with 4 people.  And we are talking about a gasoline of 250Nm torque and a diesel of 350Nm torque. It seems that those extra 100Nm are allmost in the DPF. :)

Edited by kpk1
PS
  • Like 1

In 2016 the quoted brochure emissions for a 1.4 ACT SE hatch was 115g/km, latest brochure quotes 119g/km along with higher fuel consumption. For a 2.0 tdi 150ps hatch the figures are 108g/km and 112g/km

VAG started fitting GPFs in June 2017 starting with the 1.4tsi fitted to the Tiguan and 2.0tsi fitted to the Audi A5 to be rolled out accross all group motors quickly. We already know that new deliveries of the 2.0tdi 150ps manual and dsg have adblue.

https://www.volkswagen-media-services.com/en/detailpage/-/detail/Volkswagen-Group-introduces-particulate-filter-for-petrol-engines/view/3813262/2812cf2729409cc4789e756a05f3afed?p_p_auth=uSsEm0t8

All new cars sold from June 2018 need to be Euro 6c/d compliant, and as stock is being built now that potentially wont be sold until after that date, it makes sense that all cars now are built with the new emission controls.

I've attached the brochures for 2016 and 2018

superb hatch.pdf

superb_pricing_specs (1).pdf

• Like 1

And as a further thought, all new unregistered cars that don't have euro 6c/d approval (i.e. don't have a GPF or Adblue SCR) will have to be registered before June 2018. So look out for dealer specials and pre reg cars. Bargain hard, as dealers will be desperate to offload before June.

Edited by xman
  • Like 2