Running Boards; Expensive Bauble or Useful Accessory

Falkster

I fitted running boards to mine yesterday (I did buy the genuine ones from superskoda  but they don't include the rubber seal that goes along the top of the boards between the body and boards, £15.00 from the dealer.)

It took 4 hours but doesn't require any drilling or cutting at all. All in all a fairly straight forward job and you don't have to take the doors of as the instructions say. the only difficult part is you have to fit 4 X 8mm flange (or rivet nuts)  in the holes once you take the  rubber bungs out of the sills, the holes are predrilled but you do need the tool for fitting the nuts. after that there is a line of "pop rivets" along the top edge of the board where it attaches to the body again it uses the holes from the removed rubber seal. I did these with a combination of a pair of lazy-tong riveter and a hand riveter but you could use just a hand one, I found using a trolley jack under the board made life a bit easier. The instructions tell you to fit a locknut to the 8mm studs on the support brackets but I found it was easier if you left these off until the boards were fitted and then fit when you install the final support. I also used Loctite thread seal on all bolts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/08/2018 at 16:59, kensym said:

IThe instructions tell you to fit a locknut to the 8mm studs on the support brackets but I found it was easier if you left these off until the boards were fitted and then fit when you install the final support. I also used Loctite thread seal on all bolts.  

Any chance of posting a scan of the instructions.  Debating whether to self fit or pay for the dealer to do it!

I think I still have the instructions but it is a book not just a single sheet, I will see what I can do on Saturday. You do need a good pop rivet gun and most importantly the special tool for fitting the 8mm crush nuts (rivet nuts)

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We had running boards on a Nissan Pathfinder. It was a big step up without them...... but for £900 as an option, no thanks. Rather spend on progressive steering which I note is now available on the configurator

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:45, Falkster said:

I quite like the look of running boards but at over £900 fitted are they worth it in terms of styling and functionality?

Only useful for those vertically challenged but at six feet tall only likely to stub my toe on one. I can clean the whole roof on our Karoq without resorting to steps/ladders. My neighbour drives a BMW Coupe because it's the only car that makes him llok tall at 5 feet 7 inches. LOL.:notme:

On 16/08/2018 at 21:33, kensym said:

I think I still have the instructions but it is a book not just a single sheet, I will see what I can do on Saturday. You do need a good pop rivet gun and most importantly the special tool for fitting the 8mm crush nuts (rivet nuts)

An Avdel setting gun is a good investment but for the odd fastener on site when I dont have mine with me you can make do with a clearance hole drilled in a strip of metal, what you are effectively making is a washer that will not turn (because you will be holding the strip) while the fastener is tightened setting the rivet nut.

Hope this helps somebody.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Salad Dodger said:

Didn’t see anyone post the instructions up - I gave bought a set of the Skoda running boards and will be fitting them myself, I managed to get a copy of the instructions off of a dealership. Hope this is useful 

565071691-fitting-instructions.pdf

Brilliant .. thank you!

• 6 months later...
On 31/03/2018 at 11:27, silver1011 said:

Anyone here with the side bars fitted? I'm curious as to how they are attached.

This aftermarket kit looks horrendous, they've removed the Skoda access panel that covers the mounting points but then had to cut away huge chunks of the main plastic undertray with what I assume was a butter knife :o

Don't open this fitting guide if you are of a nervous disposition, the high-res images are enough to turn the stomach!

https://images.esellerpro.com/3749/I/111/534/Skoda Kodiaq Side Steps Fitting Guide.pdf

Look at all the exposed non-painted brackets, off-the-shelf nuts and bolts (are they even galvanised or stainless?). Give them a couple of salted winters and they'll be completely corroded.

Hopefully this is the reason the genuine Skoda bars are so expensive, they're better tailored to fit the Kodiaq?

I recently fitted the "stingray" side steps from this firm (direct 4x4) as they looked decent and were well priced at £220 Inc delivery (compared to £700 supply only for genuine skoda ones from my local dealer + they couldn't say when they might get them in stock) . I too was concerned after viewing the downloadable instructions and the total butchery shown in the above video. However after studying things closely I felt I could manage to install them myself without cutting the undertray at all. Which is exactly how I did it (in actual fact the supplied instructions in the kit must have been updated since the above video etc as they don't mention any cutting of the undertray at all now). All that's required is to undo 3 screws and 1 clip along the outer edge and at the front of the undertray allowing it to hang down slightly, enough to allow the fitment of the brackets via the same fixing points the genuine skoda running boards use and then screw everything back in place. I chose to trim the rear plastic removable covers mentioned to fit around the rear mounting brackets however they can be left of completely as per the instructions. Don't worry about the integrity of the plastic undertray (some people else where have mentioned water and salt ingress) the undertray is not sealed anywhere and is only there to smooth the air flow under the vehicle (not to be confused with the off road underbody protection available as an optional extra and much more robust than the standard undertray) also there are numerous drain holes to allow any water that's found its way in back out again and there is a 5mm gap all around the outer edge. The only other deviation I made was to shorten the front inner fixing bolts by 10mm to allow the undertray fully back in place. Plus a healthy coating of black underbody sealant on all the bracketry. Hope this helps. I must get some pics from underneath to put on here also. 

IMG_20190817_114513.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/11/2018 at 21:44, silver1011 said:

The running boards are now available as a factory fit option, rather than a dealer fit...

Capture.JPG.16fc6c7f4ed6d712b535ea63d0f5827c.JPG

Don't rely on getting them. I took delivery of my Skodiaq last week which should have had the factory fitted running boards on it. I had to take delivery without them as they are not available and won't be for some time, or so my dealer advised me (skoda themselves wouldn't comment, they just said speak to my dealer). In the end I took a refund for the £840 factory price and bought/Fitted aftermarket items myself. 

Don't rely on getting them. I took delivery of my Skodiaq last week which should have had the factory fitted running boards on it. I had to take delivery without them as they are not available and won't be for some time, or so my dealer advised me (skoda themselves wouldn't comment, they just said speak to my dealer). In the end I took a refund for the £840 factory price and bought/Fitted aftermarket items myself. 

If I'd submitted a factory order with the running boards included, and the car turned up without them I'd be mightely unimpressed, certainly enough to insist to the dealer / Skoda UK that they fit them before delivery.

Aye that was my initial reaction, however the dealer was talking another 8 weeks plus before there would be any factory stock. (apparently no UK stock within Skoda parts system available to the UK dealer network or so my dealer claimed) then shipping, then waiting for a slot to have them fitted etc etc. Also I'm never fully convinced about how good a job service techs' make of fitting "bolt on" accessories like side steps or Towbars or those sorts of things, hence why I factory ordered mine. As it is I feel I have good result, £600 in pocket and a set of running boards fitted to my own standards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to taking a couple pics from underneath showing no cutting of the under tray to fit these direct 4x4 running boards to my Kodiaq. Excuse the grott on the under side of the car, roads my way are fairly mucky at harvest time

IMG_20190911_182930.jpg

IMG_20190911_182846.jpg

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Has anyone with a set of running boards fitted taken them off and moved them to another Kodiaq when trading in?  I am just speccing up a new model and don’t really want to pay for another new set.  I have 5 children so they are handy to help them climb in and out.