Copper conductive heated windscreen

OldKaroq

Hi All 

Im new to this forum, previously with Kia and BMW. My wife drives a Fabia 1.2TSI which we both rate highly.

Ordered Karoq SE L 1.5TSI DSG on Thursday with heated windscreen and heated steering wheel as extras. Im hoping the build will include the copper conductive type heated windscreen rather than the wired type. Has anyone heard anything about this? Skoda customer care or dealer don't seem to know much about it. 

Test drive was in a 1.5 Edition, even on the 19inch wheels the ride was very good, compared to my present 2016 Kia Sportage with the same.

I believe it’s the same tech as Skoda's other models. The one in my Superb mk3 is the copper conductive type, you don’t see any wires whatsoever. It’s very effective at clearing both external icing and internal misting. Usually clears within 30s of switching on.

I checked this is in the edition model I test drove and it is the thin wires screen.

I was hoping it would be the new clear type in the Tiguan.

They are very fine wires though, thinner than my qashqai I think.

Thanks for the replies. If it is the wire type, its not a complete deal breaker - I did sit in a Skoda with the wires and as usual my eyes seem to try to focus on the screen instead of the distance but not quite so much as other cars I have been in. Was better still if wearing glasses. 

I also sat in a Superb with the copper screen and... wow. Every car should have this screen.

On balance I believe it will be better with than without, as the heated screen will help with delisting etc.

Wires on my Edition, collected this morning. But I think thinner wires that our Octavia III - I'll compare the two tonight. 

The rear window seems to have vertical rather than the usual horizontal wires. 

• Like 1

If it's the same as my Yeti it is wires or more accurately filaments and they are mostly invisible. The only time I see them is when the sun is very low and even then it's not a distraction.  I wouldn't be without it and it would be a deal breaker for me if it wasn't offered as standard or as an option on any new car.

Fred

I can't see the wires or filaments at all on my Yeti's front windscreen so if the Karoq has the same setup there shouldn't be anything for anyone to complain about! The wires were very visible on my old 2005 Mondeo many moons ago.

My mind is at rest! The delivery date for my Karoq is estimated at 19th April. So too late for frost, but am I right in thinking a heated windscreen can be used to help de-mist the windscreen?

I have never owned a car with a heated windscreen previously - the car brands I bought simply didn't have one. It may become a "must have" in future - like a heated steering wheel (it helps as an additional car heater also) and heated seats which are "must haves if at all possible" now.

19 hours ago, freedie said:

C'mon Fred. It would hardly affect you. You look out of the side windows most of the time as you oversteer your way round the world...

Not correct as I apply reverse lock as required!B)

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2018 at 06:43, OldKaroq said:

My mind is at rest! The delivery date for my Karoq is estimated at 19th April. So too late for frost, but am I right in thinking a heated windscreen can be used to help de-mist the windscreen?

I have never owned a car with a heated windscreen previously - the car brands I bought simply didn't have one. It may become a "must have" in future - like a heated steering wheel (it helps as an additional car heater also) and heated seats which are "must haves if at all possible" now.

Well actually, the heated windscreen was initially created for demisting purposes. There's a fair few older Fords etc where the handbook actually tells you not to use the heated windscreen for de-icing, but of course, many people ignored it and then the car makers cottoned on to how useful heated windscreens are for maintaining maximum visibility.

Of course, it's better to use the AC and warm air to demist the windscreen while on the move, but for helping demist from a cold start, it really is a huge help!

1 hour ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

Well actually, the heated windscreen was initially created for demisting purposes. There's a fair few older Fords etc where the handbook actually tells you not to use the heated windscreen for de-icing, but of course, many people ignored it and then the car makers cottoned on to how useful heated windscreens are for maintaining maximum visibility.

Interesting. I never knew that!!

47 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

Interesting. I never knew that!!

Don't take my word as gospel, but I do remember seeing in the handbook for my father's 2006 Galaxy that the Quickclear windscreen section definitely had a bold bit saying "DO NOT USE WHEN WINDSCREEN IS ICED OVER", and that the book recommended scraping the ice off first, and then using the heated windscreen to clear up the condensation etc.

I’ve used it with a layer of snow on my qashqai screen. I’m sure its designed to take the strain.

Its not like pouring a kettle of hot water over it, I still see people doing that on frosty mornings :o

23 hours ago, TheInsanity1234 said:

Don't take my word as gospel, but I do remember seeing in the handbook for my father's 2006 Galaxy that the Quickclear windscreen section definitely had a bold bit saying "DO NOT USE WHEN WINDSCREEN IS ICED OVER", and that the book recommended scraping the ice off first, and then using the heated windscreen to clear up the condensation etc.

I use it on my Yeti for demisting AND deicing. Works very well,demisting in 1 min, fully iced windscreen clears in 2 mins.  Best option I've ever had!

Fred

Ok here is an update from Skoda customer care that i received today regarding the "wireless" "climate" heated screen. It is also solar reflective.

In response to your query, the Factory have come back with an answer regarding the wireless heated windscreen. I can confirm that the KAROQ will have the same type of heated windscreen as the SUPERB.

A pic of a heated screen on a Mk3 Superb. Reflecting in the daylight. Im hoping this all means we are getting this new type of heated screen!!

20171123_134220-edit.jpg

I hope they have changed it.

The edition model I test drove had only been delivered the 1st week of Jan and that had wires in it.

Model revisions already?

On 25/01/2018 at 18:47, TheRoq said:

I’ve used it with a layer of snow on my qashqai screen. I’m sure its designed to take the strain.

Its not like pouring a kettle of hot water over it, I still see people doing that on frosty mornings :o

It is designed to take the strain now of course, but I'm saying Ford initially only marketed them as a demisting aid, as opposed to de-icing! It was only when lots of people who never read the handbooks just used them for de-icing and then informed the dealers how excellent a feature it was, then the dealers/Ford realised that you could use them for de-icing too.

My current car (a VW Golf MK7 GTD 2016) has the heated windscreen with no wires at all. As was said above, you can certainly see in good light that the windscreen has a copper coloured sheen all over it (not sure if that's to do with the heating layer or the heat reflecting layer ?)

37039996584_05e0721547_b.jpg

A dealer told me that the heated windscreen is the filament type, not the wireless type. This was in response to a specific request for clarification and supports what Rifleman and London_Jock have reported. Not sure if that means that Skoda corporate are mistaken or that the heated windscreen type has been changed on later vehicles.