Dashcam

vadimo

Surprised Skoda do not offer this amongst many other poxy plastic accessories.

I am going to install front dash cam for sure and also thinking of rear camera.

Two immediate thoughts:

1. I ether go for two standalone front and rear cameras or 2 channel set where typically rear camera connects to the front one. This will require to run cable from front to back, the advantage with standalone, both connect to its local cigarette lighter socket and wiring is minimised

2. Unsure how the rear camera will fit rear as its not saloon car with fully open boot.

The 2 standalone ones, probably something like that:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goluk-T3-Recorders-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B06XW7RY94

The 2 channel set, something like that:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thinkware-F770-1080p-vision-Sensor/dp/B01LKCSR88

16 hours ago, Kenny R said:

That's the same camera I use on my Yeti. Quite good results but probably costs an arm and a leg from Skoda. Halfords price c. £80. 

Fred

Cant see the logic in pulling apart the car to run a cable from front to back only to finish off by running the cameras from a 12v socket. Makes much more sense to install a hardwired switched supply

3 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Cant see the logic in pulling apart the car to run a cable from front to back only to finish off by running the cameras from a 12v socket. Makes much more sense to install a hardwired switched supply

it's not logic, it's convience and simplicity.

I said I could either get 2 channel dashcam that will require interconnecting both to a power source such cigarette lighter or use 2 stand alone cameras that will locally connect to its own power source such as cigarette lighter.

if you are talking about wiring camera into battery or fuse box then with 2 channel you still need to find common route to inter connect the two to a power source of your choice. Personally I wouldn't want to try as Skoda might not like it with warranty car hence use cigarette lighter, none intrusive. With your installation you could lay down cables however you wish to do it and whatever power source you want to use.

Whatever works for you! Plugging in 12v adapters and removing them when you park isnt really convenient or simple to me but you need to have your own peace of mind if you are concerned about the warranty being affected. Have you considered running all the cables and having the dealer complete the final connection?

33 minutes ago, ExSEAT said:

Whatever works for you! Plugging in 12v adapters and removing them when you park isnt really convenient or simple to me but you need to have your own peace of mind if you are concerned about the warranty being affected. Have you considered running all the cables and having the dealer complete the final connection?

i did but they want £315 fully fitted, bit steep and dashcam is not most discreet looking one. not sure if they are will to wire 3rd party dashcam but worth asking

i hope cigarette lighter times out and turns off but better check that, good point,

• Haha 1

Simple answer is to use an ignition controlled fuse and a piggy-back fuse holder.
That is what Yeti owners have been doing for years and there are instructions in the Yeti Guides section.

• Like 2

Skoda offer a number of Dashcams, amongst them the Kenwood DRV-410 - Very discreet size, bonds to windscreen and is hard wired to vehicles wiring to allow correct parking usage as well - not the cheapest but also offers some features that people may find useful like front crash warning and lane assist - for vehicles that don't have this already of course. Also the software to view the results is very easy to use - and comprehensive.

But at the end of the day - you pays your money you makes your choice!

• 3 weeks later...

I wired my dashcam in the Octavia through the fuse board using a piggy back fuse and a 12v to usb adaptor, then just ran a USB cable up the door pillar and across the headlining, very discreet  and automatically powers on/off with the ignition, did exactly the same with the wife's Yeti.

I use two of these within my Octavia. They are only £40 a pop, but are simple to use, offer good quality day and night, and most importantly are reliabe (neither has crashed or failed to record once within 3-4 months of usage). You can also view and download recordings via bluetooth to your mobile.

As the 12V sockets are "always-on" I connect the rear cam to this 20000mAh power bank. It allows the cam to run for up to 3-days, so it doubles as a security cam for my property.

Edited by Orville

• 2 weeks later...

Wired mine in the Yeti using kit from Nextbase using fuse 6. Easy to fit and works well. Waiting for Karoq to be delivered then I'll fit to that. Note that Karoq manual shows the fuses so should be similar fit.

Grumpy 

I've got an A118 in my current car and have bought the A119S replacement for the Karoq.

The video quality is excellent and as its a small wedge shape it fits discretely behind the rear view mirror.

I hardwire my dashcams in with a piggyback fuse link to the fuse box.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Geaser said:

Wired mine in the Yeti using kit from Nextbase using fuse 6. Easy to fit and works well. Waiting for Karoq to be delivered then I'll fit to that. Note that Karoq manual shows the fuses so should be similar fit.

Grumpy 

Grumpy

I'm being a total lazy sod. Feel free to grump away but whilst you're at it, can you say which fuse you'll be using in the Karoq when it comes?

TIA.

Running the cabling within my Karoq ended untidily because the head-liner appears sealed. I had to wrap the power cable around the passenger sunvisor, so a few inches of cable are visible either side. It's the first car I haven't been able to prod the cable behind the headliner rim.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Geaser said:

On the Yeti I used the rear wiper fuse as it is ignition switched. The Karoq looks like number 47

Grumpy

Cheers G :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 17:58, Orville said:

Running the cabling within my Karoq ended untidily because the head-liner appears sealed. I had to wrap the power cable around the passenger sunvisor, so a few inches of cable are visible either side. It's the first car I haven't been able to prod the cable behind the headliner rim.

Which dash cam did you go for?