Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

Thanks so much. Recently picked up my VRS 245 and was using the TomTom camera app on my phone. This is so much better and easier to do than I would have imagined.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 14:49, jagdad said:

Excellent  - I have now attempted this and managed to combine (amalgamated) fixed cameras, Red Light Cameras and the National Trust site and compiled it with the VW Nav Companion successfully (The Skoda version seemed to dislike CSV files?)

I'm very pleased with the result, thanks again Bigade1 for your help.

p.s I also added the National Trust database to my portable Garmin (for use in other car), which I didn't know was possible until today

Glad you managed to do it jag and glad my post was helpful. Same as you, I tried with the Skoda version as well but kept getting errors stating that there was not enough hard drive space so I gave up in the end and used the VW version too.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my current latest customised version ( May, 2018 ) if any members would like to use them. It contains UK only fixed/static gatso cameras and traffic light cameras along with my personally chosen preferred icons for them. Install them as I explained in my first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to only place the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card and remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories and the poi audible warning alert after performing the update or they will not show on your map or alert you.

UK Speedcams May 2018.zip

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

Here's my current latest customised version ( May, 2018 ) if any members would like to use them. It contains UK only fixed/static gatso cameras and traffic light cameras along with my personally chosen preferred icons for them. Install them as I explained in my first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to only place the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card and remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories and the poi audible warning alert after performing the update or they will not show on your map or alert you.

UK Speedcams May 2018.zip

Many thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your new version, but I'm not sure what I've done wrong but I deleted the old ones and installed your new version. I now don't get a icon for camera's but I do still get the notification tone. Any ideas what I've missed or done wrong.?.

4 hours ago, jcsphoto69 said:

Thanks for sharing your new version, but I'm not sure what I've done wrong but I deleted the old ones and installed your new version. I now don't get a icon for camera's but I do still get the notification tone. Any ideas what I've missed or done wrong.?.

Taken from my first post in this thread :

Step 4. In the "map" settings chose poi categories, scroll to the bottom and the newly added items should be displayed there. Tick these to activate them.

And also in my last post above : 

and remember to select/tick the relevant poi categories

Have you checked that they have been ticked in your map settings?

Thanks all sorted now, it had managed to not save the tick in the speed camera poi box but had the traffic light camera box.

How easy is it to edit the camera locations as there is one traffic light camera I know of which is no longer in existence and I know of a speed camera not on the list.

The UK speed camera update installed without any problems, yet to try it out. Thank you to the author.

Its a pity that the main Nav data file cannot be trimmed for the UK only (and also delete all the other VW group references) as I suspect that a lot of users have no need for anything outside the UK and would be relieved not to have to leave the computer on overnight to download the full12GB file!

On the subject of POI's, when i select POI on the main screen it only shows Restaurants, Petrol Stations and Parking. Is there a way to edit this and show other selected POI's?

• 2 weeks later...

@bigadel I have been trying now for a couple of days but it would seem that the VW link is down. Anyone else coming across this?? Also like you say @bigadel the Škoda one just keeps throwing ul errors vrytime I try to upload. 

Used Pocketgps a lot with my TomTom before getting the FL03 VRS so familiar with uploading. Just need a file converter that works. 

Anyone have any other links or can point me in the right directions to another converter??

Thanks in advance. 

@jcsphoto69

If you read my earlier posts you will find a brief "how to"explanation which shows you how to make your own custom POI version. POI Editor is an online tool which will allow you to delete or add your own individual items. 

@Peegee

Unfortunately, I've had a quick look and can't find any method to change the three POI categories on the main screen. It would be useful though if it could be done.

@Liambobson

Glad you're happy with them.

@RoboOp

I've had a check and the VW link is down for me too and by the looks of it I don't think it's going to come back either. Hopefully, I'm wrong. On the plus side though, the Skoda link finally worked for me a couple of days ago. It has never worked for me before but I tried two quick file uploads and it converted them into downloads. I didn't have the time to try the converted files on a sd card and I haven't tried the link since. It may be a bit hit and miss or Skoda might have finally sorted it - time will tell and I will report back when I do my next custom speed camera version. 

@bigadel. Thanks for the feedback. Will try Škoda again when I get back. 

@sweeneyuk. Will look into poibase.com  and give it a try. Thanks for the heads up. 

Having had a look at that camera database it has an uncanny resemblance to the awful one that Sygic uses.

If you're wondering how I know, it's because there are several which are seriously misplaced, including one that's apparently in house on Farnham Road in Guildford!

I told Sygic what I thought about their abysmal database in a none too complimentary way. PGPS database is way superior, I should know, I contribute to it. When you can upload that into the infotainment system, en-masse, then I'll be happy.

On 2/24/2018 at 07:32, maul said:

thats great to see. but does anybody know if it can work on mib1? columbus specifically?

Just tried it on mine. Loads the POI okay, but doesn't display them on the maps, and no option to select them to.  I can search for them,find them, and navigate to them, but I can't make them display on screen.

Okay, having played about a bit. I updated the software on the unit from 0370 to 0411 and tried again. I can now select them and they show on the map as you'd expect. This is a Columbus MIB1 unit.

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 1

Hi guys. Tried the Škoda app again and still showing errors for me so not sure if it’s an intermittent issue or to do with my pocketgps csv files. 

Havent given the poibase.com a try yet because not sure how up to date and comprehensive their DB is. 

23 minutes ago, RoboOp said:

Hi guys. Tried the Škoda app again and still showing errors for me so not sure if it’s an intermittent issue or to do with my pocketgps csv files. 

Havent given the poibase.com a try yet because not sure how up to date and comprehensive their DB is. 

I just tried doing a quick trial run on the Skoda site using a single garmin .csv file from the website quoted in my first post along with my preferred icon and it uploaded it, converted it and downloaded it for me fine. I checked the contents of the downloaded file and it looks in order but I haven't tried it on my unit. Can you use the same site for trial purposes and let me know where in the operation the errors occur and perhaps we can narrow it down to where the problem lies.

Just downloaded the latest PGPSW cameras (30/05/18} and tried the Skoda POI portal and gave it the zip file to get it's little teeth into, downloaded the file that it created and saved it to a USB stick and SD card, both gave an error. :blink:

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Just downloaded the latest PGPSW cameras (30/05/18} and tried the Skoda POI portal and gave it the zip file to get it's little teeth into, downloaded the file that it created and saved it to a USB stick and SD card, both gave an error. :blink:

The Skoda POI portal does not accept zip files so could that be the error in your particular case?

29 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

The Skoda POI portal does not accept zip files so could that be the error in your particular case?

I've also tried unzipping the file and the website comes up with an error! :mmm:

What format does this system accept BTW?

Edited by TheWanderer

14 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

I've also tried unzipping the file and the website comes up with an error! :mmm:

What format does this system accept BTW?

It does not accept folders - it only accepts single files in the following formats:

Import a new collection of POI

Choose a file containing a PPOI collection.

supported formats:
.ASC (Tom Tom, Igo, Navigon)
.CSV (ROute66, Garmin, Navman)
.GPX (Garmin)
.KML/KMZ (Google Earth)

Offered it single files and it chucks up an error putting in CSV files.

5b1406ac1a107_ErrorScreen.thumb.jpg.aeddcd5b3e4249148daf8b32d7baf485.jpg

You can't use the VW one anymore that's offline (Permanently?), Poibase I can't get to work at all. Pimp My Nav is defunct.

Edited by TheWanderer

@bigade1 Back in now and still the same Im afraid. This is the same error that it throws back at me no matter which file type I use. 

I have tried three different file types now uploading a single Gatso file every time but still this error pops up:@

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Offered it single files and it chucks up an error putting in CSV files.

5b1406ac1a107_ErrorScreen.thumb.jpg.aeddcd5b3e4249148daf8b32d7baf485.jpg

You can't use the VW one anymore that's offline (Permanently?), Poibase I can't get to work at all. Pimp My Nav is defunct.

when setting the poibase program up select this one, you'll need an sd card inserted.

Capture.PNG.1ab6649a5464acab4b0866d6d893cdfe.PNG

then hit download and select poiplaza

Capture1.thumb.PNG.1a1a5cab2fd0cd5bf2a499627183993d.PNG

next add which cameras you want then synchronise.

when done you can add to the nav.

Capture1.PNG

Edited by sweeneyuk