Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

Thanks to all for this excellent piece of work.  Special thanks to bigade1 for his exe file on GitHub.  I use this with my own PGPSW files that I can download before a long journey.  I have the amudsen hense the SkipMIB2HIGH. I did a little test using Demo mode and the warning bongs did not work so I will have a proper drive past a camera and see if it makes it kick into life.  Not sure if the demo mode works with the sounds.  I def had the correct config.ini (I think) as below. The icons are all on the map and I did have the setting under MyPOI's on the satnav to give audible warnings.:

[General]
OutputDirectory=pois
SkipMIB2HIGH=True

[avg]
Name=UK Average Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_specs.csv
Icon=Specs.bmp

[fixed]
Name=UK Fixed Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv
Icon=Gatso.bmp

[redlight]
Name=UK Redlight Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_redlight.csv
Icon=Redlight.bmp

cheers,

Paul

So.  A quick drive later and even though I have the Note:“My POIs” box ticked on my Amudsen, when I took a drive past a camera - I could see it on the screen but no audible tone was given.  The satnav was talking to me at a medium volume during the journey as well (so the sound was turned up for sure).

any thoughts bigade1?

Thanks

Paul

51 minutes ago, smipx said:

Thanks to all for this excellent piece of work.  Special thanks to bigade1 for his exe file on GitHub.  I use this with my own PGPSW files that I can download before a long journey.  I have the amudsen hense the SkipMIB2HIGH. I did a little test using Demo mode and the warning bongs did not work so I will have a proper drive past a camera and see if it makes it kick into life.  Not sure if the demo mode works with the sounds.  I def had the correct config.ini (I think) as below. The icons are all on the map and I did have the setting under MyPOI's on the satnav to give audible warnings.:

[General]
OutputDirectory=pois
SkipMIB2HIGH=True

[avg]
Name=UK Average Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_specs.csv
Icon=Specs.bmp

[fixed]
Name=UK Fixed Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_gatso.csv
Icon=Gatso.bmp

[redlight]
Name=UK Redlight Speedcams
Warning=True
Source=pocketgps_uk_redlight.csv
Icon=Redlight.bmp

cheers,

Paul

I did a bit more digging and used a tool to view the DB3 data and this is what I saw under the poicategory table. Warnmessage field is empty on all 3 categories:

image.png.950873a850614fa1e7e2c8d07277605b.png

Just wondering if this should have a value?

Cheers,

Paul

@smipx

Hi Paul - I've just had a quick check and I can confirm that your config.ini looks fine to me and the DB3 data is an exact match of mine. The number 1 under the warning filter column is the correct value to enable the audible alerts and all the other fields should be blank. I use DB Browser for SQLite and I suspect you are using the same. I further suspect that it might actually be your settings that need adjusting. The audible warning makes a kind of " gloop " noise and it's independent of the satnav  volume instructions. Furthermore, it alerts you when no route has been set ( no audible satnav instructions ) and interrupts the radio or if you are playing your media. My advice would be to firstly do a hard reset of your infotainment system. While it's switched on - hold the power button so that it switches off but keep it pressed in until it comes back on. It takes approx. thirty seconds and no settings are lost. I've had to do this once or twice in the past after my alerts have stopped working. Your next step then which i suppose is a little bit tricky and a bit hit and miss is to drive past one of your icon locations with the radio set at a reasonable volume setting ( no route set either ) and keep a ear out for slight stutter or a brief silent pause and quickly adjust the volume up so  you can hear the brief " gloop " alert. The volume setting of the alert is independent of any other volume settings. It might take a few goes to succeed and bear in mind it goes off before you approach the icon. I'm confident that there's no issue with your files. Let me know how you get on.

🙂  Does it work when you are actually in the Nav app and actively navigating or only when you are on anyting but navigation/actually navigating??

I am at the edge of my abilities here but... I recall reading somewhere (can't remember where) that the Columbus does not need a distance value to give a "bong" as its automatic based on speed but the Amudsen does as its based on distance.  Might be a clue 🙂

"activationradius" maybe ????

Might be talking cra**P though 🙂

It works constantly. I.e. as long as the unit is powered up. Works whether nav is on or off. Just put the radio on or a mp3 and it will interrupt it. I think you will hear a very brief silence if the alert volume is too low.

🙂

Thanks,  I will do some tests and keep the eye out for the radio stutter and report back.  May be some time though. Quick follow-up question. Is it possible to do this in satnav demo mode or will the bongs only work in real driving scenarios? Does anyone know. Might save me a lot of driving and looking a bit odd going round in a loop past the same speed camera.

Despite the icons being visible I don't think the audible alerts work in demo mode. Hopefully, the hard reset might be the only thing required as it resets all the volume levels.

OK cool thanks for that.  I am also creating a "fake" couple of cameras just down the road from my house where I can test with a bit more anonymity 🙂

So I created the fake cameras and took a drive.  I did hear a kind on muffled "bong bong bong".  Is that the sound?  If so then its pretty underwhelming and I think I will keep the camera's on the Amudsen system (for a visual warning) but set alert to "no" and use the PcketGPSWorld app on my Phone as its loud, clear and you can set it to any MP3 file for each camera you like. I can also set a distance for each type too.  I can set this to launch whenever bluetooth launches.  It also is properly directional and also I get things like "Bong - Specs 50" rather than an underwhelming muffled "bong bong bong" that wouldn't make me take notice "urgently" enough 🙂

Yes you've got it. You can increase the volume on it but you can only achieve this by adjusting the volume while it's making the noise - so you need to be quick. Unfortunately, as you've already noted it's a pretty poor alert and there's no way to change it to a different sound. Even on max volume it's not really that effective but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Actually - A bit more playing and I managed to turn up the volume even more so its a good backup in case I forget to turn my phone on and have the PWGPS app alarms instead. 

Thanks for all the help @bigade1

• Like 1

On 20/04/2020 at 16:10, CJL said:

Hi Bigade 1

I installed your February speed cameras on my Columbus Infotainment system via sd card with no issue so decided to update them to your April issue.

I have followed your instructions exactly as before after deleting and reformatting my sd card and again copied only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file   

However when I try to update the POI's I get an error message 'no data available' despite the files being there.

Do I have to delete the previous 'My POI's before I 'Update My POI's or just update ?

I have downloaded the files via a Macbook and also used CleanMyDrive2 to remove any 'unnecessary' files on the sd card as suggested in an earlier message.

Any thoughts on what is causing my problem this time around?

Cheers.  

I too had problems with the April and June updates, so tried February update and that loaded into my MIB2.5 Columbus system without error. On comparing the folder structure, I noticed that MIB2HIGH folder had moved up a level from February "PersonalPOI\MIB2\MIB2HIGH" to April and June's "PersonalPOI\MIB2HIGH".

Restructuring the June MIB2HIGH path to match February path is beyond me as the path to MIB2HIGH is hard coded into the top level metainfo2.txt file and those checksums look daunting!

The solution that worked, was to copy the contents of the June MIB2HIGH folder to the root of the SD Card, so it just contained the lower level  PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file. I hope that this solution will be helpful to CJL and others who have the no data error message.

Many Thanks to Brigade1 for creating and maintaining this data.

Hi Bigade 1.

Looks like you are correct from our independent email chats that the MIB2.5 Columbus System gives a 'no data message' error with your Amundsen MIB2 compilation and Pegasus is experiencing the same issue that I had.

Your specially recompiled downloads for my Octavia L&K MIB2.5 System which you sent me for April and June based on your February format worked great first time for me, so maybe this solves the mystery 😀

Would it be possible in your future updates to issue 2 separate Zip files, one for Amundsen and one for Columbus MIB2.5 if this is not asking too much of you.

If you could that would be great as all the recompilations you sent me load in perfectly.

Hope this makes sense and thank you so much for your continued efforts and enthusiasm in keeping these extremely useful and valued updates going.

Cheers and very best regards,

CJL 

HI Bigade 1 again,

Just to be confirm, the reconfigured Zip files you sent me contained only MIB2 and MIB2TSD folders within the PersonalPOI folder as well as the separate metainfo2.txt file.

Cheers and very best regards,

CJL

Hi pegasus,

Thanks for your post and follow up findings.

I have previously been in contact with bigade1 on this and recent updates and he had already kindly sent me reconfigured zip files for my Octavia L&K Columbus MIB2.5 System. In future I believe he will resort back to the February zip file configuration which seems to work perfectly for both Amundsen & Columbus Systems.

(bigade1 I hope you don't mind me mentioning this !)

Note that I download the files via a Macbook and also use CleanMyDrive2 to remove any 'unnecessary' files on the sd card as suggested in earlier messages which also seems to help. 

Best regards,

CJL

Is there a way to only have the warning sound when the camers is situated on the road you are travelling along?

At the moment I get an audible warning when the camera is on a nearby road.

3 hours ago, vRS G60 said:

Is there a way to only have the warning sound when the camers is situated on the road you are travelling along?

At the moment I get an audible warning when the camera is on a nearby road.

Unfortunately, no. The software doesn't allow it.

On 24/06/2020 at 22:51, pegasus. said:

Hi CJL, For the June update, have you tried copying the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file from the MIB2HIGH folder into the root of the SD card. This worked fine for my Octavia L&K MIB2.5 System.

EU Speedcams MIB2HIGH June 2020.zip 1.63 MB · 4 downloads

Thanks Pegasus, this solved the "No Data" error I was getting on my Columbus MIB 2.5 when I tried to add the speed camera POI to my Superb yesterday. 

Massive thanks to you @bigade1 for all your work in putting together and maintaining this resource, you are a star! 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, So for the first time ever I'm having an issue with this where it just won't update, the HU just sits there wpinning away not doing anything whether I move the MIB2HIGH folder or not. I've got an amundsen MIB2 on a  2018 Octavia vRS. Anyone else had that? My old update is still there so i might just wait til next month.