Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

52 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

This no good?

Free if you submit a camera. I'm sure I could find a camera to submit and get access?

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Apologies if the format etc is no good and you've already ruled it out...

Nick

I've considered them in the past as I've heard good reports on the accuracy of their database but I've also read somewhere that they're pretty strict on the use of their content. Immediate ban and no refund if you're caught sharing it. Not sure how they pinpoint the guilty subscribers though. And I also think you have to take a subscription out first before you can submit a new camera. Then once it's been verified you'll qualify for a free subscription after your current one expires. But thanks for the suggestion.   

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, bigade1 said:

At last and after a long break - here's the latest update of my customised version of EUR Speedcams ( February, 2021). They consist of the full EUROPE speed cameras which I've split up into four consolidated poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams. They come supplied with my own preferred personal choice of icons, shown below, to match each of the categories. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to open the newly extracted folder and place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Please Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, please remember to select/tick the relevant newly added poi categories and the poi audible warning alert in your infotainment map menu settings after performing the update or they will not display on your map or audibly alert you. Hope you all enjoy them!

2002628576_EURedlightSpeedcam.png.a65a555fcd9d2d25f9d50c853bf7c270.png 553530988_EUFixedSpeedcam.png.a730e71f2483b5b5d8f1d3ed5ed3012b.png    838584675_EUAverageSpeedcam.png.8c08cc1b44468f54e7c9f7dcdf08b507.png   912793780_EUVariableSpeedcam.png.9bf05d1e28a585fb58ac84caadb674b1.png

EUR Speedcams February, 2021.zip 4.53 MB · 14 downloads

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2018 at 13:02, bigade1 said:

Step 1. Install the free VW Pre Compiled Database located on the download section of this site to your PC: 

https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/

Step 2. Unzip/extract the files on your PC and copy the contents of the resulting folder onto a SD card.

( Important points to note: Only copy the contents of the main folder i.e. Do not copy the resulting extracted folder named Volkswagen PersonalPOI - just copy the contents that are displayed inside that folder which is a folder named PersonalPOI and a metainfo2.txt file. Delete the readme.txt file as well as that is unnecessary. Also further note that despite trying to use 2 different usb sticks unsuccessfully only an sd card would work for me. I used the sd card which contains my music files but remember to delete the copied files off afterwards as sometimes they may prevent your music from playing and they are no longer required as they have been copied to the internal memory of the Amundsen ).

Step 3. Using the "manage memory option" of the nav settings upgrade the software.

Step 4. In the "map" settings chose poi categories, scroll to the bottom and the newly added items should be displayed there. Tick these to activate them.

Step 5.  In the "nav announcement" settings of the nav settings make sure that there is a tick in the "My POI" item. This enables an audible speedcam alert.

To sum up - it's pretty easy to do and it's free and there are monthly updates on the site. On the downside - I'm not sure how reliable and up to date the database is as I've already had to manually edit and remove an out of date camera from my location. IMO the audible alert is a bit feeble and can't be changed but it's better than nothing. I'm not too fussed on the camera icons either. 

I hope this post is of help to others and I would like to thank the contributors of the other threads regarding this topic on this forum from whom I have gained my insight.

I have compiled my own version with my preferred choice of speedcam icons limited to UK fixed cameras and traffic light cameras using the VW database on the above site which I've attached below to share if anyone wants them. Remember to only copy the files as per the above instructions.  

My Uk Speedcams.zip

Is it working on skoda octavia mk3 2016 

Screenshot_20210329-161755_Gallery.jpg

On 21/02/2021 at 17:18, bigade1 said:

At last and after a long break - here's the latest update of my customised version of EUR Speedcams ( February, 2021). They consist of the full EUROPE speed cameras which I've split up into four consolidated poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams. They come supplied with my own preferred personal choice of icons, shown below, to match each of the categories. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to open the newly extracted folder and place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Please Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, please remember to select/tick the relevant newly added poi categories and the poi audible warning alert in your infotainment map menu settings after performing the update or they will not display on your map or audibly alert you. Hope you all enjoy them!

2002628576_EURedlightSpeedcam.png.a65a555fcd9d2d25f9d50c853bf7c270.png 553530988_EUFixedSpeedcam.png.a730e71f2483b5b5d8f1d3ed5ed3012b.png    838584675_EUAverageSpeedcam.png.8c08cc1b44468f54e7c9f7dcdf08b507.png   912793780_EUVariableSpeedcam.png.9bf05d1e28a585fb58ac84caadb674b1.png

EUR Speedcams February, 2021.zip 4.53 MB · 53 downloads

I try ur but its not working in mine

Please see the attached pictures 

20210329_170604.jpg

@Rayhan

Your unit is a slightly earlier model than mine but it's definitely an Amundsen so I don't see why they shouldn't work. From the display message on your screen it means that your unit hasn't recognised the files. Have you followed my update instructions properly? You must only use a SD card - a usb stick will not get recognised. And have you extracted/unzipped the downloaded folder? You could also try using a different SD card if the previous steps haven't worked.

3 hours ago, Rayhan said:

I try everything but no luck still same massage come I use SD card

Sorry - I can't think of anything else. Are you opening the extracted/unzipped folder and then copying the contents? If you are copying the main folder it won't work.

2 hours ago, hyper7 said:

How do you convert a csv to the format that is used by the Amundsen?

You can try PoiBase or POInspect0r for free but with limitations.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 17:18, bigade1 said:

EUR Speedcams February, 2021.zip 4.53 MB · 71 downloads

Many thanks. Brilliant. 

Hello, I’ve not actually done this yet as I’ve only just come across this.

I read through some pages but not sure if this works on Columbus mib2?

If it does I have two further questions.

As you’re kindly updating this, when you release a new download, do I just follow the same installation options to upload the new POIs? Or do I need to delete the old ones first then upload new ones?

Can you be warned of speed cameras audibly even if you don’t have a route set and map is not displaying? Like for instance go near a camera and it warns but i’ve got media selected and listening to music?

thanks 

On 27/04/2021 at 01:44, Danoid said:

Hello, I’ve not actually done this yet as I’ve only just come across this.

I read through some pages but not sure if this works on Columbus mib2?

If it does I have two further questions.

As you’re kindly updating this, when you release a new download, do I just follow the same installation options to upload the new POIs? Or do I need to delete the old ones first then upload new ones?

Can you be warned of speed cameras audibly even if you don’t have a route set and map is not displaying? Like for instance go near a camera and it warns but i’ve got media selected and listening to music?

thanks 

Hi, I've got Columbus MIB2 in my car. Updates have worked repeatedly without a hitched. I've installed the map and camera updates several times, without reinstalling/enabling the POIs specifically. 

You do need to tick the option for the audible tone to be heard, but once enabled you should get warnings of nearby cameras regardless of what the centre console is displaying. ie. doesn't need to be on map mode. Note you will hear the tone as soon as you're within range of a camera, but doesn't necessarily mean one is on the same road as you. I have several local ones near me which I don't drive directly past - they're just up off on side roads people try to use for cut through - I get the warning tone even though I stick on the main road. Presumably they're all close enough for the tone to still trigger as I pass by. 

Just note the volume of the tone can by turned up and down by accident. I've had a number of occasions where one's triggered just as I've been adjusting the volume on the radio. The next tone has then either been noticeably louder or quieter. I've found the trick is to drive close to one and turn the volume the opposite way just as the warning triggers. Probably not easy to do on regular main roads, but on a stretch of (not so) Smart motorway near me it's a doddle as there are several in swift succession. 

• Like 1